Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM
Still waiting on the killing pics.

How about I show these guys a pic of a short little [bleep] that looks like he's strung out on meth. I can get the one you sent of yourself when I bought that rifle from you. What was that you told me, you never shot targets with it so you don't know how it shoots. You "only shot rocks with it". What a [bleep] loser, just like your short [bleep] butt buddy boxer.

Originally Posted by SLM
I bought the rifle a little over a year ago new and have shot it 12 times sighting it in and shooting rocks so can't tell you anything about group size. The rifle has never been hunted ]

How do rocks taste dumbphuck???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man, I'm jealous. We got no rocks to shoot down here. We have to improvise. Mostly I find a spot on a palm tree and blast it. Light has to be just about perfect to see the spots.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Laffin', that mean your not posting any?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by SLM
Still waiting on the killing pics.

How about I show these guys a pic of a short little [bleep] that looks like he's strung out on meth. I can get the one you sent of yourself when I bought that rifle from you. What was that you told me, you never shot targets with it so you don't know how it shoots. You "only shot rocks with it". What a [bleep] loser, just like your short [bleep] butt buddy boxer.

Originally Posted by SLM
I bought the rifle a little over a year ago new and have shot it 12 times sighting it in and shooting rocks so can't tell you anything about group size. The rifle has never been hunted ]

How do rocks taste dumbphuck???

And your point is?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
bsa',

You Do Nothing Whining Kchunt...you've a seriously unfair "advantage,in that Stupidity ain't an act for you. Laffin'!

Keep the Excuses and Whine coming,it's a [bleep] riot!

Bless your heart.

DD,

No trees or rocks here,either.

[Linked Image]

Mebbe bsa' will continue with her Imagination and Pretend,so a gent can "live" vicariously,with all she "does".

Laffin'!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are acceptable...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yes sir, I'd say they were.

FWIW

I�ve owned numerous firearms in various chamberings over the years from 17 ackley hornet through 458 Lott (around 57 different chamberings IIRC). For each of these I�ve developed loads that were shot over a chronograph measuring and contrasting velocity vs. accuracy and the bullet I wanted to use. I usually shoot three shot groups. Some say less than 5 shots is not a group, and that�s fine.
However, after all is said and done, my goal is to know within a half inch, where, if I do my part, the bullet will impact game at any given ranged/known distance, first shot out of a cold barrel.
An example. I�ve an old Winchester push feed/post 64 model 70 in 270 Win. However the person that owned it before me happened to have it bedded, a trigger job done, and a custom Shilen barrel screwed into the receiver. Many years ago I ceased load development when I happened on 60 grains of H4831SC and 130 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. That has been my go to load in this rifle forever.

[Linked Image]

The two shots in the picture above were fired approximately one hour apart. To my mind that is definitely acceptable.

[Linked Image]

So when the hoglet pictured above presented himself at 120 yards, give or take, the task of placing a bullet between his ear and shoulder was no big deal.

Groups are fun, but in my mind they are not the end all and be all. Making meat from a critter, cleanly and efficiently dispatched is.

I had an old insurance mentor who had a saying,
"when you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear".

Load development and trigger time are hard to beat and definitely build confidence.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Musta been something in the water after '64. The 270 groups you see are a '69 PFM70, factory tube, restocked in a rattle canned Winlite (which I hate), LW's (shimmed rear with 2 layers of soda can), M8 6x42. Blurry pics on purpose. Trigger guy was on vacation the day they made this one 'cause it takes two to pull it. But, 2 tears in a bucket.....

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
... Load development and trigger time are hard to beat and definitely build confidence...

Lots'o truth right here ^^^^

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Two inches at 100 yards would not scare me. Shots here are very rarely over 100 yards. I usually stop load development if I get 1.5 inch at 100 for 3 shots.

Last edited by Zrack656; 02/04/14.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd lose my friggin mind. Hell, I'd sell the loader if that were the case.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm a handloading hobbyist. Three into an inch and a half is nice at 300 yards.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Zrack656
I usually stop load development if I get 1.5 inch at 100 for 3 shots.

sheeyut

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by Zrack656
I usually stop load development if I get 1.5 inch at 100 for 3 shots.

sheeyut

Must be a kimber afficianado.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman

Is that better than 3 in 1/4" at 100?

I dunno.

Cantaddferchitt

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Is that Minute Of Palm Tree BD?

Minute Of Rock is a bit more.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by mathman

Is that better than 3 in 1/4" at 100?

I dunno.

Cantaddferchitt

[Linked Image]

220 swift, Sako AII scoped it with an older 2.5 x 8 vari x III scope.

[Linked Image]

43 gr. h-380, mv @ 3,910, 3,920, 3,919 fps.

I guess you could call it 3 and a quarter.

Quien Sabe as the Messicans say.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
consistent MOA or less 3 shot groups at 100yds...........Hb

Same here.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well let's see in working up a load for my most recent acquisition a 30-06 savage I started with a beginning load of AA4350 that I happened to have available and some 150 gr power points . I weighed some loads thrown using my lee scoops and found them pretty consistent and then loaded up 20 rounds and went to the range. Used about 8 rds zeroing the scope and then found that three 3 shot groups averaged just over an inch. The largest was 1.2 " the smallest .9. That left 3 rounds to launch across the crony and they ran around 2760 fps with a spread of 43fps I figure I'm good to go.

Recoil was fairly mild as was muzzle blast and quite frankly I don't shoot enough lately to have the trigger control I once did. The bench at this range were designed by a moron. The seat is fixed and way too high to the shooting platform so if you can imagine trying to shoot off a English racing bike using the handle bars for a rest with you rear about as high as your head there you are.With those conditions I figure 1.2 inches with a load that is easy to throw together is good to go. Maybe I'm just getting to jaded about shooting any more.

Last edited by bangeye; 02/05/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bangeye
With those conditions I figure 1.2 inches with a load that is easy to throw together is good to go. Maybe I'm just getting to jaded about shooting any more.

A soliloquy in regards to your post, and this is just one man's opinion, and as we all know, opinions are like noses. Everyone has one, and many of them smell.

one hole groups,even at 100 yds., other than those as the result of firing one shot, would seem to be an aberration from a "commercial chamber", even a Savage.

I'd say your judgement is realistic, tempered by experience. I find that I'm not near as anal about miniscule groups as I was 20 years ago.

The enjoyment of firearms and all that goes with that can be an addiction. I try remember that this is for fun, albeit many times with a purpose, such as developing an acceptable load with a new powder/bullet combination for next season's hunt. For hog or deer sized critters, a load as described above launched at the velocity you described would seem to be optimal for making meat without waste at any reasonable distance.

Best,

GWB

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 38 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.