Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
Interesting. 1300 views and several failures. Nonetheless I have had one just fall off. Never beat the handle or dropped it. Owned dozens. That said other brands never break bc they cannot. Sako. Howa. Ruger. Oh and I have owned many Rugers. Accurate. Their new bbls are well mfg.

Any bolt can break, even solid ones, I'd think it rare, but anything can break.

Of course anything thats not one solid piece, and has a method of attachment is more liable to break.

Never stopped me from buying 700s. And I've taken them to places where if it breaks you are done... no backups, no gun stores without hours of flying time etc...

Of course when I say no backups, I never hunt by myself, so there is always a backup, I just rarely am the one carrying it in that instance.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 65BR
Curious how many have experienced it.

Not me, but I will admit to gingerly tapping a 700 bolt open with a rubber mallet jacking with 85 gr NBT's and RL-19 in a 25-06. blush

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had one break off on a 221 Fireball hand gun that was made in the middle 1970's. I sent it to Remington and they sent it back fixed. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had the handles on all my "serious" hunting rifles welded on..Never worried about it till I had one pop off..It would have indeed sucked if I was hunting in another state..had them tig'd on for piece of mind.

Cant like the screw on method, can see Murphy coming into play there.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Never had one break off....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

N
nae Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Loaned a 700 ss 338 RUM to a friend about 10 years ago for his Alaska grizzly hunt. 1 shot kill on a smallish bear at about 15 yards that his guide thought was about to charge. Went to clean it when he brought it back and the handle came off. Billings Gunsmiths repaired it- said it wasn't the first. I imagine he reefed on it pretty hard after the shot . He declined to borrow it again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own a 700, bought it just last year. It's a good gun, but I won't buy another one. The 90 degree bolt throw and its limitations on mounting a scope low really put me off. I will never use this gun for hunting something that could hunt me back, but having a bolt handle fall off would really piss me off. Designs evolve, so after 40 or 50 years Remington should do better. If it were a medical device a few known failures even out of 6+ million pieces built would equal a recall. Just based on the posted samples, there have been more than "a few" failures.

It's not that hard or expensive to build a better mousetrap in this instance.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay...next question. How many of you guys that say you've seen 700 bolt handles break off think Mdl 70's are better rifles?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have and I do. At least a better hunting rifle. For targets, varmints, and gentleman's deer hunting, a Remington is preferable. Give me a Winchester when the stakes go up. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cotis
I own a 700, bought it just last year. It's a good gun, but I won't buy another one. The 90 degree bolt throw and its limitations on mounting a scope low really put me off. I will never use this gun for hunting something that could hunt me back, but having a bolt handle fall off would really piss me off. Designs evolve, so after 40 or 50 years Remington should do better. If it were a medical device a few known failures even out of 6+ million pieces built would equal a recall...
Deaths caused by medical malpractice in the U.S. approach 200,000 per year. That's probably not the best comparison as the medical field continues to do the same things the same way in a lot of cases.....

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I own a 700, bought it just last year. It's a good gun, but I won't buy another one. The 90 degree bolt throw and its limitations on mounting a scope low really put me off. I will never use this gun for hunting something that could hunt me back, but having a bolt handle fall off would really piss me off. Designs evolve, so after 40 or 50 years Remington should do better. If it were a medical device a few known failures even out of 6+ million pieces built would equal a recall. Just based on the posted samples, there have been more than "a few" failures.

You got your first 700 last year? How old are you?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Two of the 50 odd members of that club had M600 bolt handles pop off.

How many members were there in all, and did any of the non-odd members experience this? laugh

That's funny stuff!!

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Almost as funny as somebody believing that Rem 700's ain't a good thing. laugh

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've had a .243 700 for nearly 40 years, no problem, until I ef'd up and had a stuck case - hammered the bolt handle with a dead-blow.

And a 725 (predating the 700 in manufacturing) for close to 30 years. No problem.

I have re-silver-soldered-on several other than my own 700 bolt handles, all having been hammered open .... None, to my knowledge have had a problem since.

One should probably not do chit requiring hammering open....

That said, there are good soldering jobs and not so good... production oriented jobs may or may not have a higher percentage of the latter.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I refuse to use Remingtons, so it hasn't happened to me. I've seen a few in the gunsmiths shop for repair, he tells me he gets a couple a year. A buddy who was a sniper and armorer in the USMC says they used to knock them off regularly, if you gave him a Remington he would sell it and buy another Mauser.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
I have and I do. At least a better hunting rifle. For targets, varmints, and gentleman's deer hunting, a Remington is preferable. Give me a Winchester when the stakes go up. YMMV.

Agree.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Okay...next question. How many of you guys that say you've seen 700 bolt handles break off think Mdl 70's are better rifles?
I think Ruger 77's are better than either of them and I've owned a few of each.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by utah708

What's that ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I refuse to use Remingtons, so it hasn't happened to me. I've seen a few in the gunsmiths shop for repair, he tells me he gets a couple a year. A buddy who was a sniper and armorer in the USMC says they used to knock them off regularly, if you gave him a Remington he would sell it and buy another Mauser.

WW1 ?

grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell

You got your first 700 last year? How old are you?

42. Not everybody drinks the 700 Kool-Aid....

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,867 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.