Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Check the various taxes and fees ( like auto tags), and hunting , fishing license, in the states you are considering.
Florida has great fishing, fresh and salt water, low license costs, no income tax.
Insurance costs can be a consideration. Flood insurances are set to rise , A LOT.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Forget hunting public lands in the South, there's not much of it and it's overrun with too many people. If you want to hunt and shoot you've got to make friends with folks that own land. It's not that hard to do, there's plenty of land but all the good stuff is private. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Virginia has turned into a mini-New England from all the yankee transplants, no way I'd live there now.

North Carolina the taxes are too high. Ditto South Carolina although S.C. is better.

Florida is great if you like the water, taxes are good but home insurance is through the roof. No mountains and hunting sucks.

Tennessee, good on taxes. Boating is limited to lakes, long way to the coast. Hunting is so-so depending upon what private land you have access to.

Georgia, cut out Atlanta and it's decent. Taxes are middle of the road leaning toward high. North Georgia mountains are nice but getting a ways to the coast. Hunting can be decent. Coastal regions are nice. South Georgia is the same as the panhandle of Florida, flat with a bunch of pine trees but close to the Gulf.

Alabama, good hunting and boating on the coast, inland you've got the typical rivers and lakes. Taxes are middle of the road. Demographics can get to be a problem so research the area you're wanting to move to.

Mississippi, same as Alabama except the demographics get to be more of a negative (cue the screams of racism). It might seem that I'm making too much of it but if you move to the wrong area it'll consume your life. There won't be a functioning public school and there won't be any shopping establishments your wife can frequent without getting accosted. It gets old being the only one in the grocery store that's actually using his own money to pay for their groceries. Mississippi can be great, but you have to be in the right area.

Louisiana, Meh... Too flat, too hot, too many snakes. Hunting's okay, boating can be good. Food's good, demographic problems too, and they can't figure out how to build a road that won't beat you to death.

Texas, the east part is just like Louisiana, the western & northern part can't be called part of the south.

Arkansas, Meh... Bill Clinton, enough said.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
You know my first choice but if I had to move it would be to The Sportsman's Paradise. Preferably northern Louisiana. They are basically East Texans up there.

This is the ticket.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tennessee...mountains, lakes galore and no state tax and the gals have all their teeth, shave their legs and wear shoes. It don't get no better.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
1) Andalusia Alabama
2) Baker Florida
3) Albany Georgia
4) Gueydan Louisiana
5) Union City Tennessee

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mule and whitetail, goat, elk, bear , 3 species of turkey / some of the best coyote hunting in the US. If you can mult-task fishing ain't bad. Hell you wouldn't like Oklahoma

Last edited by rickmenefee; 02/08/14.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Forget hunting public lands in the South, there's not much of it and it's overrun with too many people. If you want to hunt and shoot you've got to make friends with folks that own land. It's not that hard to do, there's plenty of land but all the good stuff is private. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Virginia has turned into a mini-New England from all the yankee transplants, no way I'd live there now.

North Carolina the taxes are too high. Ditto South Carolina although S.C. is better.

Florida is great if you like the water, taxes are good but home insurance is through the roof. No mountains and hunting sucks.

Tennessee, good on taxes. Boating is limited to lakes, long way to the coast. Hunting is so-so depending upon what private land you have access to.

Georgia, cut out Atlanta and it's decent. Taxes are middle of the road leaning toward high. North Georgia mountains are nice but getting a ways to the coast. Hunting can be decent. Coastal regions are nice. South Georgia is the same as the panhandle of Florida, flat with a bunch of pine trees but close to the Gulf.

Alabama, good hunting and boating on the coast, inland you've got the typical rivers and lakes. Taxes are middle of the road. Demographics can get to be a problem so research the area you're wanting to move to.

Mississippi, same as Alabama except the demographics get to be more of a negative (cue the screams of racism). It might seem that I'm making too much of it but if you move to the wrong area it'll consume your life. There won't be a functioning public school and there won't be any shopping establishments your wife can frequent without getting accosted. It gets old being the only one in the grocery store that's actually using his own money to pay for their groceries. Mississippi can be great, but you have to be in the right area.

Louisiana, Meh... Too flat, too hot, too many snakes. Hunting's okay, boating can be good. Food's good, demographic problems too, and they can't figure out how to build a road that won't beat you to death.

Texas, the east part is just like Louisiana, the western & northern part can't be called part of the south.

Public hunting is quite good in TX. I've hunted it a number of years, and was getting the hang of it. Never saw another soul while actually hunting, saw em around though while getting off the roads adn such.

Best deer I saw killed was later scored just under 200 inches. Best I saw was give or take 150, never got a clean shot.

Just saying not all public land in the south sucks.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Crow Hunter is right. Being born in Alabama and spent most of my growing up years there and in Mississippi, it pays to look at the demographics of the area. Stay a long way away from Montgomery AL that town is the most racist place I have ever lived and I am not talking about white on black racism. The comment about your wife not being able to shop alone is valid.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you are going to cull a state because one azzhole was born there, you are probably not going to find one. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton

If you are going to cull a state because one azzhole was born there, you are probably not going to find one. miles
I don't think it was so much that he was born there as the fact that y'all elected him Governor. How many times was that anyway?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How many times was that anyway?

Too many, but I had no hand in that, nor electing him President. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by twofish
NC, you got the mountains, the coast, and the outer-banks all in one state.

and a ton of weirdo's with a ton of weirdo liberal laws. Although, you did finally get rid of the chicken lady Governor.

My greatest ancestors landed in Western NC. We have property that has been in the family for 220 years and I still have yet to even consider moving there. SC over NC any day

I am still partial to Southern Virginia.

SC is great, too bad nobody can read or drive...and Lindsey Graham is a peach. crazy

Just kidding...I won't badmouth your state as you did mine as I own property in both as well.

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your job allows the location of Cullman, AL you might give that a look. It's north of Birmingham and south of Huntsville. Right on I-65. Five hours to the beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of hunting in national forests. Settled by Germans and still has a strong Germanic base, I understand. Hilly and there are lots of large lakes in the area. The last figures I saw showed it had about 2% non white population. It would be a good place to live.

Last edited by MColeman; 02/09/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in Polk County, TN it borders Georgia to the south and North Carolina to the east. I live a hour from Chattanooga and about the same to Knoxville, two and a half hrs from Atlanta and three to Nashville.

Here is a view from mountains overlooking part of Parksville Lake. The Ocoee river runs into the lake which is where the 1996 Olympics Whitewater events was held.
Great fishing all around and lots of hogs and bear. Deer is a little different there are good spots on private land but there is some huge bucks in the mountains but it's hard hunting. Cherokee National Forest buck below that my cousin killed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Arkansas has more public land than any state in the south. Two large National Forests (the Ouachita is nearly 1.5 million acres) several large fedral wildlife refuges, and a National Park (Buffalo National River) that is open for hunting.

Property taxes are moderate, and real estate prices are fairly low compared to the rest of the country. Vehicle tags are cheap. There is a state income tax, and sales tax can be high in some counties.

An annual sportsmens license is $35 and includes 6 deer tags, 4 turkey tags, a bear tag, all small game, and fishing. The state is divided into deer management zones and modern gun seasons vary between 3 to 6 weeks depending on zone. Counting primative weapons season, you can deer hunt for nearly 2 months.

Turkey are in decline, but this is the case everywhere in the south east. The same is true for quail.

There is world class waterfowl hunting in the Arkansas delta, but opportunities for waterfowl are available all across the state.

There are several large impoundments in the western half of the state. Beaver Lake and Greers Ferry are a couple of good examples from the Ozarks (NW Ark), while the SW has Lake Ouachita and Greeson. The Delta, of course has the Mississippi and lots of tributaries.

In my highly biased opinion, all urban areas suck balls. In Arkansas, the two that suck the least are Hot Springs and Fayetteville. They are also closer to the public land and water.

If your work opportunity is in Little Rock, you can find decent places to live 20 to 30 miles out in the country and commute. The Delta is fit habitation for skeeters and ducks, not people.

The people are generally very friendly, but that can change rapidly if a newcomer tries to come in and run everything. A good phrase to avoid at all costs is "Well, where I came from we did it this way."

Last edited by Gadfly; 02/09/14.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just moved back to middle TN. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
NC, you got the mountains, the coast, and the outer-banks all in one state.

and a ton of weirdo's with a ton of weirdo liberal laws. Although, you did finally get rid of the chicken lady Governor.

My greatest ancestors landed in Western NC. We have property that has been in the family for 220 years and I still have yet to even consider moving there. SC over NC any day

I am still partial to Southern Virginia.

SC is great, too bad nobody can read or drive...and Lindsey Graham is a peach. crazy

Just kidding...I won't badmouth your state as you did mine as I own property in both as well.

Seeing TONS of mid-westerners and Floridian's move to both. Amazing the number of offers we've had for my Dad's land and homes in both states and none are even on the market. I have land in Fairview that folks call me about monthly and again it's not listed.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And that is why Texans have a hard time getting along when they come north.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Thanks, have not listened to him in a long time.

What a great songwriter.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.