Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
guess Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
just about the time I decide to let the predators rest for a while ,they come crawling out of the wood work! With the end of turkey season coming in two days,we were really concentrating on the gobblers,but they weren't having any of what we were wanting to dish out! On the first stand of the day we called in a coyote while calling turkeys, I like to really make sure the ones that like turkeys die,but as fate would have it this one wouldn't come into shotgun range,well not within a turkey load range anyway So we moved on.We never heard or saw a turkey all day long and as the evening approached the already bad mosquitoes were getting worse by the minute,they would drag us ten feet back for every two we walked! MISERABLE !
We decided to move to a pecan grove and see if we could get a bird to gobble,we had just about got there when I spotted a coyote a couple hundred yards out.I killed the truck we got out and moved quickly to a tree about 40 yards in front of the truck and I started blowing a call made for me by a fellow that goes by huntncarve ,the coyote turned on a dime and headed our way,it didn't seem to matter that the truck was right behind us! Michelle shot the coyote at about 60 yards and the 95 grain AccuTip did its job!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We decided to move on to another spot but it was a little late to call turkeys so we decided to just call predators and see if any turkeys gobbled on their way to the roost ! I had just picked up an old ruger .243 so old it has the flat bolt instead of the round one,I checked it earlier in the day and it shot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with an old weaver scope on it ,probably the first one ever mounted on it! I told Michelle I was going to shoot if one came in on my side,we sat down ,hadn't turned the camera on ,adjusted our shooting sticks or anything ,when I look up and see a coyote headed our way! I told Michelle to get ready turned on the camera and lip squeaked him all the way in! She dropped him at about 40 yards! Boy did the turkeys ever gobble ,and another coyote howled ! I called to the turkeys a few times ,they were already roosted.We decided to do a little more calling from right where we were and come back in the morning for the gobblers. I started blowing my screamin demon with Michelle running the camera I had one blind spot through a piece of old metal framing and wood.I raised up just a bit so I could see through it and there stood a critter. At first I thought it was a coyote and I had been busted ,but as I looked through the scope I could see it was a cat. We tried for ever to get it to move just a little for a clear shot,but no dice! I told Michelle I was going to try and squeeze a shot through a 2 inch opening ,but I clipped a board and the cat was still standing there,so I inched over a couple of feet real quick and took another shot striking the cat in the chest at about 80 yards ! what an evening considering we were turkey hunting!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Family ,Friends and the great outdoors!
Glenn Guess

official scorer for Texas Wildlife Association
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice adjustment. Coyote season opens here Monday. The area I deer hunt is infested with them and deer are getting scarce. Been gathering up the tools for coyotes and will make my first serious run at them this year.
Enjoyed the pics and tale.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,111 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.