-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For the DIY'r, who might have a manual of disassembly for a Stevens 22-410?

My dad still speaks longingly of these guns, and I found a nice example for the right price recently. Now the goal is to rehab it and give it to him this summer as a birthday/retirement present, fittingly retiring to the family farm land he hunted with a neighbor boy who had this same Stevens in fact, back in the 50's.

Anyway, the stocks are coming along nicely (cleaned paint splatters off, finish restorer, tung) but the action on this is a "what the hell?" propostion, and am just a hobbyist.

Ordered the only manual I could find online, has no-showed, no reply from seller. Soo... plan B time. Where to start?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad bought one for me in the early 60's, used of course. No serial number. I still have it and its never been disassembled. Guns of that type aren't too hard to take apart but the receivers can be the devil to reassemble. Unless you have to replace a part I suggest you don't disassemble if you don't need to. Thoroughly spray the receiver with carburetor cleaner, dry with compressed air, give it a good shot of Brownell's Rust Preventive No. 2, and more compressed air to spread it throughout the internals and blow off the excess. Then lightly lube where things move and rub. The rust preventive isn't much of a lubricant. I use a needle oiler to lubricate (Brownell's again).

Numerich aka Gun Parts had an exploded diagram in its catalog, should think you could find it on their web site.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also give the extractors an extra good spray, those holes can get pretty gummed up. That model tends to kink the extractor springs, maybe that's why.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V: Shotguns by J.B. Wood. Covers the 24D which differs slightly, but not much. Did some work on one a couple months back. Pretty simple, really.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the ideas. Would like to take it down/clean/lube as it's pretty gummed up and bit corroded inside. Plus, it's an old side-button model which I understand tend to wear/break with use; all the better to clean/lube it properly. The action lever release is a wobbly goblin right now; ordered new wear parts thru Numrich, so whatever I run into should be fixable. It's a point of pride that I present it in excellent working order by my own hands.

Craigster - that dang book... you're going to cost me a Kindle just to download/get it, aren't you? shocked

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have completely dissembled them and there isn't all that much to them , if you are worried about putting it back together , then video yourself taking it apart , step by step and then you won't have any trouble putting it back together .

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to know. Haven't had to take mine apart but did a couple single shot shotguns that took three hands or a special fixture to get back together - since I only have two.

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

158 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,467
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.