Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Yes I think there is a limit, don't have regs in front of me right now so can't say for sure what the number is.

12" yellow perch aren't uncommon and 14" isn't that out of the ordinary either.

I don't know if that's "big" or not but we've run the knife through a lot of 12"-14" perch up here.

Limit is 20 daily. 40 in possesion. One of the few MN fish that your possesion limit can be higher than your daily limit.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, I would consider 12-14" yellow perch quite large. I used to fish upstate NY and Vermont lakes and we would keep anything 9" and larger. Last ice was when we would usually get the larger, 12" and up females getting ready for the spawn. Both states also had a 50 fish limit. Next to Walleye, nothing I'd rather have in the frying than a bunch of yellow perch.

PS-I'm guessing your young one there is your alarm clock. He's probably dragging you out of bed in the morning when it's time to go ice fishing!

Last edited by lightning; 02/18/14.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I finally had a chance to get out on the ice last saturday. An old friend who got me into ice fishing called Friday and wanted to know if I wanted to go. I was too tired Friday and still had to work Friday night, but told him I would love to go Sat. morning when I got off work. I hadn't spent any time with John since he retired. He had a triple bypass last year, and is having trouble with his knees, so we decided to hit a small strip pond just a couple of miles from his house. We did not catch a lot of fish but he got a couple of 2 lb bass for his breakfast and we had a few small gills. I did manage to get the largest bass I ever caught through the ice. She was almost 5 lb.
It was good to spend 5 hrs with and old friend, and the few fish we caught were a bonus. I'd have had a good time just sitting on a bucket remembering the old days. Keep in touch with old friends guys they ain't going to be here forever.
Bill

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good stuff.

And a 5 lb bass is pretty sweet too.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This pond is less than an acre and is less than 100 feet from the road, but doesnt seem to get much pressure. I took a 63 pounder off a deer carcass several years ago when they were getting ready to spawn. If you have someone who doesn' geet around real good it is a good place to bore some holes. there was a lot of standing timber at one time but most of it has rotted off below the waterline now. John is only about 4 years older than me, but has a lot of health problems. I know 67 is not that old, but. he sure has aged in the last few years. I gotta spend more time whith him while I can.

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.