Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hi,
After reading the posts in the 'Model 70 Stainless Classic' thread, I finally decided to try and find out exactly which model I have. It is a Model 70 'CRF' that is marked 'Classic Stainless' on the barrel, with a walnut stock in 7MM Rem Mag. The serial number is G66085 and I purchased it brand new in March of 1995. Now, I'm just going by all the different models listed in the blue book, but I cannot find a Classic Stainless with a walnut stock in 7MM made in 1995. It seems the only ones listed around those years have either blue finish and walnut stock, or stainless finish and black synthetic stock. I always called it a 'Featherweight', but is it? I realize it is an early 'Classic Stainless', and am wondering if it was a special run or something. How common are they, as you just don't see this configuration of the 'Classic Stainless' in a 5 digit serial number, and why aren't they listed in the Blue Book? Any idea on the value of the earlier 5 digit serial numbered models?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And finally, doing what it does best:
[Linked Image]

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Did you save the box? It would have the model designation on it. To me it looks like a standard Stainless Classic sporter barreled action in a Featherweight stock

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RS99,
Your rifle appears to be a "Classic Featherweight Stainless", in normal configuration for the chambering, assuming it has a 24" barrel. The magnum Featherweight rifles had the standard contour barrel, not the featherweight contour barrel, and were marked "Classic Stainless". The magnum Featherweights had a 24" barrel. If it was a "Classic Stainless" 7Mag put in a Featherweight stock, it would have a 26" barrel, unless, of course, the barrel had been shortened.

What I find interesting about your rifle, is that you bought it new in March of 1995, and the serial number would seem to be correct for that date. However, supposedly the "Classic Featherweight Stainless" wasn't manufactured until 1997! I have a "Classic Featherweight All-Terrain", which would be the same rifle as yours, but in a synthetic rather than wood featherweight style stock. It's serial number is G82XXX and dates to 1996.

Based on information we have, I suspect it may well have been a special run, or a non-catalogued item , with Winchester making it a regular production item later.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know the exact year that rifle was made, but mid 90's sounds about right; and am not sure if they were a cataloged item, but I know they made them in 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag.

I have owned two of them, both 7mm Rem Mags like the one pictured.

Last one I saw for sale was for about $800 bucks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Okay, I went and dug out the box, hang tag and receipt and here's what I found. The rifle was ordered from Davidson's in March of 1995 at a cost of $430. The receipt lists it as a 'Classic Featherweight Stainless, Walnut'. The box and hang tag list it as a 'Classic Stainless, Walnut' with 24" Barrel and a catalog number of 12129. The hang tag also says 'With Controlled Round Feeding'. So I guess I now know that it is indeed a 'Classic Featherweight Stainless' in a walnut stock, but still don't know if it was an early uncatalogued item or a special run for Davidson's. Probably an early non-cataloged item that turned into a regular run later on. Either way, I appreciate all the info and guess I now know why I can't find it in the Blue Book.

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Beautiful rifle!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RandySavage99
Hi,
After reading the posts in the 'Model 70 Stainless Classic' thread, I finally decided to try and find out exactly which model I have. It is a Model 70 'CRF' that is marked 'Classic Stainless' on the barrel, with a walnut stock in 7MM Rem Mag. The serial number is G66085 and I purchased it brand new in March of 1995. Now, I'm just going by all the different models listed in the blue book, but I cannot find a Classic Stainless with a walnut stock in 7MM made in 1995. It seems the only ones listed around those years have either blue finish and walnut stock, or stainless finish and black synthetic stock. I always called it a 'Featherweight', but is it? I realize it is an early 'Classic Stainless', and am wondering if it was a special run or something. How common are they, as you just don't see this configuration of the 'Classic Stainless' in a 5 digit serial number, and why aren't they listed in the Blue Book? Any idea on the value of the earlier 5 digit serial numbered models?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And finally, doing what it does best:
[Linked Image]

I love those. Makes me want to slap a walnut stock on my 7mm rem mag..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a Davidson's exclusive. Davidsons over the years has had many Winchester exclusives. They do that with Rugers still today. Nice rifle. Wish I could find one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,992 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.