Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
You're saying you wouldn't use a .30-06 with a NBT under somewhere
around 100 yards?

I didn't say anything like that and I don't know where you're getting that?

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by ringworm
Truly, the imagined issues with ballistic tips should be present, multiplied in AMAX BULLETS.
Mainly that they hyperexpand.
Oddly enough that's never been the case. Perhaps the person who takes the AMAX into the deer woods is better prepared to wait for a shot or pass whereas the person with the ballistic tips assume all angles are things since the projectile is marketed primarily as a hunting bullet.

I think the AMAX users are usually shooting at longer ranges. I've never heard of anyone here in the east using them but NBT's are popular here and shots are usually close. NBT's don't hold together on close shots although they bring a deers life to an abrupt halt.

They hold together just fine for me. I use the 100gr version in my 25-06, and send them out the barrel at 3350 fps. I've killed about 16 PA deer with it, at ranges from 20 yards to 400 yards, most being 100 or under. I haven't stopped one in a deer yet.

I don't stop them in deer either. But I can tell from all the bullet fragments and secondary wound channels the bullets didn't hold together. Not that I want it to mind you. If I wanted high weight retention I'd use a TTSX.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Darrick,

I'm really not all that surprised that it did that well on your Elk.

The original ones I used in the .280AI did open up quickly it seemed, but they worked well every time. Perhaps I was just lucky. By the time I started using them in the 7mm-08 they must have bumped them up because pass thru became common. Truthfully, I didn't know any of this until I came on here. Most recent time I used one was this year on an average Doe at around 80, with a .308W. Blew thru with a nice quarter sized exit. She went around 30-40 yards. Not a lot of blood but I hit high on a quartering away.

Better than good Whitetail bullet and it has been around long enough that they have the kinks ironed out.

I agree Harry. I've sectioned a ton of recently manufactured Ballistic Tips and I like what I see. I can't determine the hardness of the lead, but there is plenty of jacket. I really like the looks of the 30 cal 168NBT.

I've read that some of the heavier for caliber BT's have really been toughened up over the years and I'm a believer.

Ballistic Tips are now my go-to bullet in almost every cartridge I use to hunt deer. I'm not afraid of them on bigger stuff either.

There are several good bullets on the market today.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
around 100 yards?

You are right and I didn't say it just right. However, you did say NBTs don't hold together up close. I asked how close and in what cartridge. Your reply was 100 and the .30-06.

Soooo, I didn't and don't know when a NBT not holding together becomes unreliable for your needs on Whitetails and asked the question. (Notice I asked a question. I didn't state it as a fact.)

Again, admittedly I was fumbling with myself on how to put the question.

Darrick just reported of sending one essentially thru an Elk at 175 and I think you could expect the same on Whitetails out of a .30-06. So on an upfront hit at 100, I'm thinking it should and will hold together more than adequately.

Last edited by battue; 02/24/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll shoot a deer right off the end of the gun barrel with an NBT. For whitetails I like bullets that start to frag inside them. I started using NBTs for bear too. Not sure if it's a folly or not yet?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Like Dober use to say, you can shoot a bullet a hundred times and it will perform 99 times the same way. It's that 1 time that keeps you scratching your head. I've used the 115gr BT in 257cal and the 140's in the 7mm's all of my hunting career and never lost a deer...yet. Made a bad shot out of a 7mm w/an AccuBond and lost the only deer of my life. Poor judgement on my part...not the AB fault. powdr

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had some pretty erratic results with early 140's in the 7mm RM, a bit more violent expansion than I liked and not real straight post impact line of travel. I've been using 165's and 150's in .308 now for quite some time and they have proven to be excellent bullets.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by ringworm
Truly, the imagined issues with ballistic tips should be present, multiplied in AMAX BULLETS.
Mainly that they hyperexpand.
Oddly enough that's never been the case. Perhaps the person who takes the AMAX into the deer woods is better prepared to wait for a shot or pass whereas the person with the ballistic tips assume all angles are things since the projectile is marketed primarily as a hunting bullet.

I think the AMAX users are usually shooting at longer ranges. I've never heard of anyone here in the east using them but NBT's are popular here and shots are usually close. NBT's don't hold together on close shots although they bring a deers life to an abrupt halt.

They hold together just fine for me. I use the 100gr version in my 25-06, and send them out the barrel at 3350 fps. I've killed about 16 PA deer with it, at ranges from 20 yards to 400 yards, most being 100 or under. I haven't stopped one in a deer yet.

I don't stop them in deer either. But I can tell from all the bullet fragments and secondary wound channels the bullets didn't hold together. Not that I want it to mind you. If I wanted high weight retention I'd use a TTSX.

Here's an interesting experiment involving several bullets, among those a 168 gr NBT at 5 meters.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7231629/1

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is basically no comparison between the 1980's BT and a BT produced today. They have been modified/tweaked a number of times and I believe Nosler has them as close to perfect (in my eyes anyway) as a bullet can get. Each bullet has undergone a design change or two in the past 30 or so years, some more than others. In the most general terms, most of the changes have been to toughen them up...in general terms.

We used them in legal culling operations on large plantations along with other makes and designs. They performed fantastic. We were required to keep meticulous records of all kills, etc and out of the last 16 years, we had one bonafide failure...that was it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
around 100 yards?

You are right and I didn't say it just right. However, you did say NBTs don't hold together up close. I asked how close and in what cartridge. Your reply was 100 and the .30-06.

Soooo, I didn't and don't know when a NBT not holding together becomes unreliable for your needs on Whitetails and asked the question. (Notice I asked a question. I didn't state it as a fact.)

Again, admittedly I was fumbling with myself on how to put the question.

Darrick just reported of sending one essentially thru an Elk at 175 and I think you could expect the same on Whitetails out of a .30-06. So on an upfront hit at 100, I'm thinking it should and will hold together more than adequately.

I have shot a bull elk right in the elbow joint of the front leg at 100 yards with a 180 BT at a 3300+ fps muzzle velocity. The bullet was recovered under the far side hide after shredding the vitals and penetrating the ribs, and meat of the off side leg.
Anytime I hear someone say BT's are anything other than one of the finest big game bullets made I immediately think they are full of crap, not knowledgeable or both.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/25/14.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.