24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not trying to be ethical or preach to anyone else.
I am just trying to do things right.

My kind of hunter. I would change "do things right" to have fun.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Originally Posted by dawaba
The best way to infuse a generous dosage of ethics into the LR gunner is to require that the shooter punch his tag if blood is drawn....whether he recovers the animal or not.

Shod, in the future, you can gently but firmly suggest this idea before the yay-hoo starts flinging rounds.

I am all for that, but do it for all hunters not just guys shooting long range regardless of weapon. Actually I would prefer that you only get one shot at an animal. If you miss your done.

This is the best post so far!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Been hunting long ranging for ten years. I hunt with guys that have been doing it since the late 60's. That being said, it's not for everyone. First, if you don't want to spend a lot of money (optics,custom rifles,rangefinders and so on and so forth) pick a different hobby. Second, I prefer a lot of spotters. Two or three that know what they are looking for really makes a difference. As far as distance, that's a personal call, it depends on where your comfortable. If it's windy, it's less. As far as ethics go, if you have a good spotter and follow up on wounded game, your no different than anybody else. I know people that shoot rather well and have wounded deer at 100 yds. If your ethical, you follow wounded animals until all hope is exhausted or you or someone else gets the animal. Unethical hunters shoot and if the game doesn't drop instantly they go and find another one to shoot. Just my two cents.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
These post are always a good belly laugh!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Got a call end of last month from a rancher friend about a now defunct 6x6 killed at 700+- yards (ranged)by some well known folks on a late season tag.....seems the first wind call (one MOA) was not quite right,resulting in a gut shot.

Correction to 2 MOA, and the next two 7mm Bergers went where they were supposed to. I wonder which of the spotters made the first call? Despite great gear,experienced people,and among the best bullets for the purpose,there was still a screw up.

Walking that tight rope between "knowing" and "guessing",and recognizing the difference,likely separates the men from the boys in any shooting situation....the men stay off the trigger.

When the day comes that I have to depend on someone else to call my shots, I'll sneak closer or quit hunting.Don't need an animal that badly.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
any shooting situation or any hunting situation? huge difference.

IMO all shooting is "guessing" in a sense. or making assumptions would be a better way of putting it. we assume our scope is still dialed to our zero, or we assume the next round will fly like the last. there is no way to truly KNOW exactly what is going to happen. we do our best to be consistent, but there is always murphy waiting to jump in.

now I can't speak for the well known folks and who made the call in your instance as to their experience or credibility. I do know that often when hunting it is nice to have an experienced spotter to call out ranges and estimate wind value between you and the target. not that I can't do it myself, but when I'm setting up the rifle my spotter can range and estimate wind. I will concur before the shot is taken, because me as the shooter is ultimately responsible. I do the same for them as well. I'm trusted by more people to make the call, than I trust.

As to the OP's question there is no set distance for me, depends on the rifle I have and what we can do together. as someone stated "do things right" that's what it's all about. I made 2 shots this year that many wouldn't take, I had no qualms and both critters are in the freezer. first was an offhand shot at 315 yards POI was within 2" of where I wanted it, second was 535 after running a 1/4 mile to get into position.

everyone should limit themselves based on their capabilities, no one should impose their limits on others.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
XX reflects my thoughts on LR Hunting exactly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" High Percentage shots" shouldn't exist for game.....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am 51 and been a long range shooter since in my late teens....I have shot quite a few groundhogs over a mile...and never...I mean NEVER have hit one on the first shot. To each his own...not going to condem anyone for range...but forget about drop...easy enough to get around...just click up right? Wrong......... after 1 k things get hinky fast.....temp,,,,barom pressure....angle of the shot....... well ok thats with NO wind....and wind IS the factor....and NO ONE ive ever met can read it 100% of the time..... ask this question: rh twist rifle l to r wind 10 mph,,,constant 45 degree angle steady ( ya right never gonna happen) how many minutes you gonna add or subtract from your ELEVATION? if any... if they cant answer that...they have no buisness shooting at a big game animal at long distance.. They read too much.......or watch too much tv...but too many talk a good talk....i have come to use Jack o Conners famous line....when the individual is all done tellin you about how good or bad a bullet or cartridge or gun....etc is....my response.....And how do you know that to be true?. my limit....700 yards with no wind....and odds are its dead.

Last edited by riflelooney; 02/28/14.
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.