Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Walker6
I know, I was expecting results like yours. I wonder if the breeze when you did your test made the difference? Like maybe the fins helped? Also, on your last boil, did you do the Snow Peak right after you did the XTS?

Yes. That was the only time I did the XTS first. Every other time I did the XTS last...with a cold canister.

I'm going to do some more experimenting this weekend.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the biggest tip in all these test is the grey Coleman canisters are not nearly as good as the MSR ones. Something I've noticed for years without actually putting a stop watch to them.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Curious stuff... I'll be interested to see more testing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is one of the cool threads.

Thanks, Brad.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
IB, it definitely is a good thread.

Wondering out loud... I wonder if Snubbies Pocket Rocket isn't a better stove for the Olicamp Pot... looking at Walker's Giga pics makes me wonder whether the burner is too far from the base of the pot. Hit Ti pot is right up against the burner. The Rocket's folding arms can be fitted to the Olicamp's inner ring... again, just wondering out loud.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Using rigorous methods, it would be great info and publishable, IMO.

Snubbie? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Using rigorous methods, it would be great info and publishable, IMO.

Snubbie? smile

Hang on, give me two more minutes...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ain't surgery great?! smile crazy

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, I realized I have to go to Raleigh this weekend so decided I needed to do my test tonight to satisfy my curiosity.
So I found a new Coleman Canister and the MSR IsoPro I used for two boils.

[Linked Image]

What I found was there is no difference in boil times between the two fuels. I've wondered for some time if the butane-propane blend (Coleman) burned as hot as the Iso/Butane-Propane blend (MSR) and thus burn hotter. The answer is no, not according to the test tonight.

I used 20oz of cold tap water in each test.

I started with a Snow Peak 900 Ti pot. Each time I dumped water, changed canister and boiled again with everything cooled down. Then used the Olicamp XTS after allowing both canisters to warm back to room temp.
SP Ti w/Coleman = 2:46
SP Ti w/ MSR = 2:48
XTS w/Coleman = 1:34
XTS w/MSR = 1:41

The few seconds of difference between the fuels tells me the type canister is irrelevant. However, both times I got over 1 minute faster boil times with the XTS.
So as far as I'm concerned, the XTS is a big score for me.

Now, Brad mentioned above the Pocket Rocket. It has a very intense flame and it funnels it right up into the "sweet spot" of the XTS. Brad, if you fold the PR pot supports inward to fit inside the ring, they actually will raise the pot slightly higher. It also decreases stability obviously, so their is no gain in doing that. In this photo, you can see the flame is totally utilized, nothing even showing coming outside of the convection fins, or up the sides. Walker6's similar photo shows a flame that is a little more spread, and perhaps a little farther from the bottom of the pot.

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
I think the biggest tip in all these test is the grey Coleman canisters are not nearly as good as the MSR ones. Something I've noticed for years without actually putting a stop watch to them.

I thought the same thing but not according to this test. However....

The pressure seems to really drop in the Coleman canisters after a few uses. I've never noticed the MSR pressure dropping noticeably until it was almost empty (of course, taking out cold temperature issues). THAT could be why it seems the Coleman doesn't seem as fast or hot. It could be the pressure drops and you actually have a smaller flame but you don't really notice that the flame is smaller.

Just a hunch.

But I would have bet the farm a Coleman just doesn't give the same performance of an MSR canister, and if the pressure drops as it approaches half empty, then I guess it doesn't.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like you've got a good combo there, Snubbie. It seems the burners with the holes facing up work better with the Olicamp than my side hole Giga stove burner does. (Makes sense if you look at the burner on a Jet Boil).

Just for kicks, I tested some MSR fuel against the Giga fuel. Same-same, in the 4oz size (new cans), and they each used about .4oz of fuel per burn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Walker6
Looks like you've got a good combo there, Snubbie. It seems the burners with the holes facing up work better with the Olicamp than my side hole Giga stove burner does. (Makes sense if you look at the burner on a Jet Boil).

Just for kicks, I tested some MSR fuel against the Giga fuel. Same-same, in the 4oz size (new cans), and they each used about .4oz of fuel per burn.

Darn I missed the obvious. Those ARE side burner holes on your stove rather than top.

I still don't understand why it wouldn't boil faster with the XTS unless it just doesn't use the flame any more efficiently for some reason...but that's a "duh". Obviously there is no gain for you...I'm still scratching my head on that one. confused

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by snubbie
Pocket Rocket. It has a very intense flame and it funnels it right up into the "sweet spot" of the XTS. Brad, if you fold the PR pot supports inward to fit inside the ring, they actually will raise the pot slightly higher. It also decreases stability obviously, so their is no gain in doing that. In this photo, you can see the flame is totally utilized, nothing even showing coming outside of the convection fins, or up the sides. Walker6's similar photo shows a flame that is a little more spread, and perhaps a little farther from the bottom of the pot.

I think you've got the answer! Good stuff.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The pressure seems to really drop in the Coleman canisters after a few uses. I've never noticed the MSR pressure dropping noticeably until it was almost empty (of course, taking out cold temperature issues). THAT could be why it seems the Coleman doesn't seem as fast or hot. It could be the pressure drops and you actually have a smaller flame but you don't really notice that the flame is smaller.

Just a hunch.

But I would have bet the farm a Coleman just doesn't give the same performance of an MSR canister, and if the pressure drops as it approaches half empty, then I guess it doesn't.

This is actually what I've noticed to a T.

I thought your first test was done on used containers?

It just seems the PR doesn't roar on the Coleman older canisters, even though they still have fuel in them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just a hunch.

This is actually what I've noticed to a T.

I thought your first test was done on used containers?

It just seems the PR doesn't roar on the Coleman older canisters, even though they still have fuel in them.

Yeah, we're on the same page here. The first test was done on used Coleman canisters. I wrongly assumed the extended boil times was because of IsoPro burning hotter than the Coleman canister. But with a new canister, the boil times were the same. So the pressure drop of the Coleman is the reason for the extended boil times. I have not noticed that pressure drop in the MSR IsoPro canisters.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of you other guys that have ordered one of these XTS pots, I'll be curious to see what results you get with it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, those I corresponded with regarding the XTS pot and its excellent results were all using Pocket Rockets... makes sense in light of this thread.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but what is the reason for butane or isobutane mixed with propane?

Does it produce a hotter flame?

Propane boils at a colder temp than isobutane or butane.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This could also be what I've noticed:

Another tip is to choose the right canister fuel blend for cold weather. Fuel that is a mix of iso-butane (boiling point 12 �F) and propane, works better in below freezing temperatures than fuel containing butane (boiling point 31 �F), because the fuel in the canister will continue to vaporize (albeit more sluggishly) at cold temperatures. For cold temperature performance (below freezing), the propane is the basic driving force (because of its low boiling point) that makes the stove work; iso-butane will volatilize and burn along with the propane (but in decreasing amounts) down to its boiling point of 12 �F, while the n-butane will just sit there. Warming the canister will enable it to perform at even lower temperatures. Examples of cold weather fuels are: MSR IsoPro fuel - 80% iso-butane and 20% propane; Snow Peak GigaPower fuel - 85% iso-butane and 15% propane; and Jetboil JetPower fuel which is 20-30% propane with the remainder iso-butane.

Coleman label says butane

Last edited by dinkshooter; 02/28/14.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lesfox, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,642
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.