Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Richard Culver and Culver's shooting pages, were/are really something. I did have the honor of corresponding once in a while with richard and Gloria. The obit. says some of his story.
If I can say it, as I am not a marine, Semper Fi:
May the valkyries take you in their arms and deliver a warrior to odin's halls. Rest in peace, Dick Culver:
A Warrior Passes

Major Richard O. Culver, Jr. USMC (Ret)
April 9th, 1936--February 24th, 2014

Major Richard O. Culver, Jr., USMC, (Ret) known to all as �Dick�, passed on to Sky Six on Monday evening, February 24th, in Cour d�Alene, Idaho. Dick was often known as �the Jouster� because he fearlessly addressed any topic, whether military or political, with gusto. He and his wife, Gloria, hosted the website �Culver�s Shooting Page--Gun Talk�, and served as the Sniping/Countersniping contributing editor to Soldier of Fortune.
Dick had the distinction of being the first child born on Alcatraz Island (4-9-1936). His father was a lieutenant in the guard section, and he and his wife lived in the family quarters on the island. His father, LtCol. Richard O. Culver, USMC (Ret), was also a Marine, and fought in the �Banana Wars� and served in China. Dick enlisted in the Marines at age 17 and after his enlistment attended college at Virginia Military Institute (1954-58) majoring in physics. After graduation he received a commission in the Marine Corps. A Force Recon Marine, his later combat experience occurred in Vietnam where he served as a company commander in an infantry battalion. While serving as skipper of H Co., 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines in Vietnam, Dick was awarded the Silver Star for actions that occurred on July 21st, 1967 during a firefight with a North Vietnamese Army company. Dick exposed himself to fire several times, rallied his Marines, coordinated fire and medevacs, called in artillery and air support, and forced the enemy to break contact after suffering numerous casualties.
After Vietnam, it was decided to form a permanent Scout/Sniper program in the Marine Corps instead of losing the skills as had happened after past wars when sniper programs were disbanded as soon as the war ended. Major Culver helped form, and commanded, the first USMC Scout-Sniper Instructor School, formed at Quantico. His senior NCO was famed Marine Corps sniper GySgt Carlos Hathcock. Also playing a key part in the organization and logistics of the school was Major E. James Land, who is now Executive Secretary of the NRA, and served as Hathcock�s commander in Vietnam when Land established the 1st Marine Division Sniper School near Da Nang.
Major Culver is survived by his wife, Gloria, of Cour d�Alene, and his son James R. Culver of Dothan, Alabama. Dick will be sorely missed by all.
Internment will be at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA.

Craig Roberts
LTC, USA, Ret.
USMC, RVN 1965-66

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP; good man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rest In Honored Peace Major Culver

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't know Dick but it sounds as though he made a great contribution to this great country. Thank you for your service sir.

RIP Major.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VGv4dbtdzW8[/video]

Last edited by 12344mag; 02/28/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sad day Dick was a one of a kind ,Rest In Peace Sir!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May he RIP

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
dick was fairly prolific in writing, if interested go to this link and a lot of his stories are listed:
http://www.jouster.com/jouster_tales.html

this explanation of arab mentality i always thought was priceless:
http://www.jouster.com/camel_tales/saudi_mentality.pdf

i was thinking of posting this last week re the m16, this is part one, you can get part two at the above address:
http://www.jouster.com/saga_of_M16/saga_of_the_m16_part_1.pdf
edited to include part two on the m16: http://www.jouster.com/saga_of_M16/saga_of_the_m16_part_2.pdf

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/28/14.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
May he rest in peace.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
dick was fairly prolific in writing, if interested go to this link and a lot of his stories are listed:
http://www.jouster.com/jouster_tales.html

Thanks for posting this up!! He was prolific at writing and I have enjoyed reading some of his articles listed at his website. I passed along the M16 links to some friends of mine who are Vietnam vets....they will be able to relate to that information.

Last edited by XPLRN; 03/10/14.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Quite a resume. I certainly didn't know all that. RIP!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rest in Peace.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From the "Arab" link....

They tell the story of the Israeli and Arab tank that collided over a sand dune during the Yom Kippur War. The Arabs are reputed to have climbed out of their tank with their hands in the air crying �we surrender, we surrender,� while the Israelis grabbed the back of their necks and yelled �whiplash, whiplash� �perhaps it is simply the nature of the beast...?? Ah well.

grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.