Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just received my Sako 85 and it has a grooved receiver for attaching the scope rings to it. Doesn't seem to be many choices out there. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Any other options besides buying the Sako mounts and rings?

How about the Leupold ring mounts? Looks like they mount directly on the receiver.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would recommend the Sako Ring Mounts....

[Linked Image]

Other options are Leupold ring mounts, Millet or have it tapped and use any other mounts.

Rob
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use both. The Optilock ringmounts are solid. I also like the Leupold ring mounts and have had no issues with them. They allow a some flexibility in ring positioning for scope mounting, particularly the rear ring. Also, if you're using a smaller objective scope, you can mount the scope lower with the Leup low ringmounts.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by harv3589
I would recommend the Sako Ring Mounts....

[Linked Image]

Other options are Leupold ring mounts, Millet or have it tapped and use any other mounts.

+1 for the Sako Ringmounts!!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I didn't realize Sako made ringmounts. These attach directly to the receiver? Approximate cost?

Does Tally make a base that fits the 85?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes they attach directly to the receiver, $130 for NIB Sako optilock Ringmounts

Yes, Talley makes Sako bases

Last edited by MCT3; 03/05/14.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I use S&K mounts on my Sako's now

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/05/14.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Seems to be more choices than I thought. Will check out the S&K's as well.
I did just call Talley, part number for the blued rifles is 252727.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've a combination of Opti-locks
and
Leupold/Redfield tap on's bases with Leupold rings.

either work fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the Opti-locks are on the 75, the Leupold bases are on the 85.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Leaning towards the Talley mounts as I just found a set of Talley rings that I didn't know I had.
S&K system looks very similar to the Talleys and might try them on my wifes rifle.
Sako ring mounts are nice but seem to high as I have no plans on using a scope with an objective bigger than 40-44mm.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Talleys are good
Just bought a set of lightweights for a Cooper model 22.

Best,

GWB

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The S&K lows are pretty low; this is a Zeiss 2.5-10x42:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/05/14.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Seems to be more choices than I thought. Will check out the S&K's as well.
I did just call Talley, part number for the blued rifles is 252727.

There are a number of choices,

Current Production:

1. Leupold Sako ringmounts and Sako QR bases
2. Sako Optilok ringmounts and 2pc mounts
3. Conetrol
4. S&K
5. Talley bases
6. Millet ringmounts
7. Redfield/Leupold bases like GWB's

Discontinued but can be found:

1. Sako Vintage ringmounts
2. Buehler
3. Kessel ringmounts
4. Sako Lynx ringmounts

I'm sure I missed a couple

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Leaning towards the Talley mounts as I just found a set of Talley rings that I didn't know I had.
S&K system looks very similar to the Talleys and might try them on my wifes rifle.
Sako ring mounts are nice but seem to high as I have no plans on using a scope with an objective bigger than 40-44mm.

Optilock ringmounts are perfect for a 40mm scope. Here is mine with a Conquest 3x9x40
[Linked Image]

I don't like the idea of bases on top of the integral base so that leaves out the too heavy two piece Optilocks, Talley, Control,and just about everything except the Leupolds.

The Leupolds work well and do allow limited adjustment over the ones with attached bases. The only problem with Leupolds are that both rear and front have to be about half way down the rail to even get any tightening purchase. The Optilock Ringmounts will tighten anywhere on the rail but the rear has a recoil pin. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach, so the rear will only mount in one spot. I know of many people who have removed the recoil pin to have the best of both worlds in adjustment and robust mounts without any problems at all. The only way I wouldn't remove the recoil pin is if I was mounting a ridiculously heavy scope.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sweet looking rig and photo RH.

+1

Best,

GWB

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Sweet looking rig and photo RH.

+1

Best,

GWB

should have been laying on a pig instead of a post but you can see what my hunting situation looks like 99% of the time from the background. That's why I've never been interested in long distance equipment.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ringmounts!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm a meat hunter that shoots in country that is not typically given to long range shooting, and I shoot a lot of pigs. They usually come in before daylight or at dark-thirty when you can barely see your reticle or target. They move constantly. Often between the time your brain sez to your finger, squeeze and it actually happens (squeeze not jerk) and the bullet impacts flesh, the hog will move six inches to a foot. Three hundred yards away, you don't see the hog, don't see the reticle or you make a bad shot. No thanks.

Best,

GWB

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Optilock ringmounts are perfect for a 40mm scope. Here is mine with a Conquest 3x9x40
[Linked Image]

I don't like the idea of bases on top of the integral base so that leaves out the too heavy two piece Optilocks, Talley, Control,and just about everything except the Leupolds.

The Leupolds work well and do allow limited adjustment over the ones with attached bases. The only problem with Leupolds are that both rear and front have to be about half way down the rail to even get any tightening purchase. The Optilock Ringmounts will tighten anywhere on the rail but the rear has a recoil pin. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach, so the rear will only mount in one spot. I know of many people who have removed the recoil pin to have the best of both worlds in adjustment and robust mounts without any problems at all. The only way I wouldn't remove the recoil pin is if I was mounting a ridiculously heavy scope.

Your right, that is not to high. Think I will change my mind and go with the Sako ringmounts. I can use the Talley rings I found on my new Cooper.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When I bought my Optilock ringmounts , they only sold one size, low. I don't know if that's still the case or not. The optilocks have the benefit of plastic inserts that will self center and they will never mark an expensive scope.

Some of the older two piece Optilock mounts had sucky soft screws. My Optilock Ringmounts bought about 3 years ago had good hex screws.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.