Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach my rifle to my pack. So how do you guys do it. What works best for you and what didn't. And of course pics please.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kifaru gunbearer works well for us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
Kifaru gunbearer works well for us.

+1, works well for me too.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Paradox Gun Hook is the best I have used, although I believe it only works on the Paradox. I have used the Kifaru Gunbearer for many years and it works well on most packs.

Last edited by Ed_T; 03/11/14. Reason: spellin

Ed T

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have an Eberlestock J34 with built in scabbard and a Kifaru pack with a gunbearer both of which work well although I never could get use to the gun barrel being in my face with the gunbearer. I still like carrying a rifle on my shoulder when practical and just ordered a couple of Slingsavers from here: http://slingsaver.net/index.html Looks simple and I can't imagine why it wouldn't work well with most any pack. I will report back when I get a chance to try it out.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dunno what kind of pack you have but....
We hunt with external frame packs and I hate carrying a rifle in my hands - use a walking stick. I strap my rifle across the uprights of my packboard using 2 quick release straps. They are snugged down very tight so the rifle doesn't flop around. This is my method for hunting open country and, contrary to public opinion from cheechackos, you don't find a bear behind every tussock and boulder here in Alaska. You would be surprised how fast you can get your packboard off your shoulders and access your rifle.
The rifle stays on the packboard even when we stop to glass for caribou or sheep. If you see something, just unsnap it and go after your quarry. A very simple and inexpensive setup.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
thanks guys

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use a Rifle Holster from these guys:

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

I had a local shop sew a piece of webbing onto the waist belt of my pack to loop this through. I love it.

Last edited by Miner; 03/13/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I received the Sling Savers and installed them on both my Eberlestock J34 and an inexpensive day pack that I have come to really like. I had to do some adjusting on my day pack but,on the J34, I strapped it on and it was done�no trimming required. The Sling Saver rests a bit higher on the J34 and a bit lower on my day pack and each hold the rifle on my shoulder regardless of movement. The Sling Savers work great and it is probably the best $19 I've spent; ($7.95 ea. plus $3.00 shipping). I highly recommend them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe not perfect but here is what I use on my MR Dragon Slayer pack, this is for my hike in/out or packing out game. If I'm hunting I usually carry my rifle.
[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Biggs, if the gun barrel is in your face, you don't have the gunbearer adjusted properly. Move the buttstock back, or up, or the front attachment down, for example. If you're having issues, call Kifaru. They will step you through it.

Gunbearer rocks for me.....one of Patrick's best ideas, and he has had a ton.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
KCM, I've had my Longhunter G2 pack for over 3 years and have adjusted the butt stock back, down and forward trying to find the best position. It's not as bad with my rifles that have shorter 22" and 24" barrels but I have two with 26" and can just not get use to having the barrel in front. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad system, it is just not for me.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kifaru gun-bearer is a smart system designed by a hunter for hunters. It flat out works and is easy to get your rifle into your hands quickly.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Another vote for the kifaru product. Your hands are freed up for dealing with steep country and the gun is instantly available. I live where a deer or a bear might be behind the next bush and appreciate the speed by which you can get shooting. I've busted deer from the gunbearer, it works. I've used one for over ten years on regular hikes, fishing, and hunts for deer, bears, moose, sheep, and goats.

Negatives: I've found are if you're going down a steep slope and your feet go out from under you and you fall-sit, the butt of the gun slams into the ground with some force. On one occassion I got "punched" in the face by my rifle and on another had the stiching of the top strap explode. To their credit, Kifaru replaced the strap for free.

Another concern for some may be eventual wear on the rifle. I've carried my .375 the most with this set up, and the paint on the McMillan has definate wear areas on the left side from miles of carry causing it to rub up against clothing and pack straps. No concern for a working rifle, but I wouldn't carry my lovely ruger No. 1 in the thing.

Last edited by pabucktail; 03/20/14. Reason: added info
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Kifaru alot and also have had it explode in a sudden sit down event. Good product, but if I'm in open country, I like to get the rifle behind me on the pack. I stick the butt in the side pocket and attach the forearm to the side of the pack.
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docdb
I've used the Kifaru alot and also have had it explode in a sudden sit down event. Good product, but if I'm in open country, I like to get the rifle behind me on the pack. I stick the butt in the side pocket and attach the forearm to the side of the pack.
Don

I did it that way for years and prefer that over the gun bearer myself...just never could warm up to it.

That said after some tinkering and modifying I now have a system that is out of my way, more secure than just through the sling over the top of a frame or stay (they still flop around when working over boulders or if brush gets inbetween the stock and the pack) which is why I don't like doing just that.

So what i use now is a modified Corral gunslinger. Keeps the weigh on the belt of the pack and secured to the belt and the rifle barrel is behind me but still quick to access without taking my pack off.

Here is a video that shows it better than I can explain:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/alaska_lanche/media/Riflecarrynosound_zps7b2801ed.mp4.html

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A video is worth several paragraphs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Alaska, have you had any issues with that sling swivel rubbing your shoulder blade? By the way, that's a pretty slick looking set-up.

Last edited by tdbob; 05/09/14.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote here for the Kifaru Gun Bearer. I love that my gun is handy and can be ready almost instantly. I don't mind the barrel being out front. I feel in control of where the muzzle is pointing. I think it is a great system. There may be a better system out there but I haven't found it yet. While the Gun Bearer is good, here are a few issues or areas for improvement:

1. The issue of falling on your butt only to have the gun hit the ground before your butt and the resulting "pack shift" as mentioned above.

2. The gun wants to twist sometimes when the scope is in an upright position. This is minor, but after a few days it becomes quite noticeable. Someone mentioned putting the scope forward (downward) to prevent this. I haven't tried that yet but I bet it works.

3. You have to take the gun off the pack before removing your pack. It can be done, but it can be tricky putting the pack back on, Since it is very easy to remove the rifle, I usually just take it off first.

4. Sometimes when removing the gun, the butt of the stock gets hung in the bottom portion of the Gun Bearer, especially with a sticky recoil pad, like a Limbsaver. This is more of an annoyance than a flaw. You can pull hard and get the gun free but there should be an easy fix for this problem.

Despite my comments above, I do like the Gun Bearer. It is another great nnovation from Kifaru. In fact, I just ordered another one for my Kuiu Icon pack. The Icon has a great system but it is not as handy as the Gun Bearer.

Last edited by Darktimber; 05/11/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gun Bearer is great.

Any reason it HAS to be attached to the pack? Have you tried a 2 point sling let out long enough to carry over the shoulder so it carries across you about waist high?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 4 invisible), 1,612 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.