Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by CCCC
Is the .264 Obsolete?

Not as obsolete as silly and useless gun writers who have to struggle to find something "interesting" to write - in order to uphold their "credibility". Apparently this poor soul does not understand the purpose of a rifle or the performance of the 6.5x55, the 6.5/06 and the .264 Win Mag that hang around here. He should interview a once-shot/dead mule deer or antelope, or elk.

Ditto!

He wouldn't be writing the article if there wasn't a market for it. The market is right here on these pages.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good observation. Look at all the discussion its created. But, if the .264WM is obsolete, where does that leave me with the 6.5RM I just got? frown

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In good hspe, I think. Just shoot it until you're obsolete.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me, labeling a cartridge as obsolete simply means that the case design is no longer cutting edge. It doesn't mean that the chambering is going to disappear or stop working. Obviously if it did disappear or stop working, it would be called obsolete as well grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
To me, labeling a cartridge as obsolete simply means that the case design is no longer cutting edge. It doesn't mean that the chambering is going to disappear or stop working. Obviously if it did disappear or stop working, it would be called obsolete as well grin

Now I won't feel so out-of-place adding a fourth 7x57 to the cabinet. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudstud
Originally Posted by reelman
10 years from now the 26 Nosler will be more obsolete than the 264WM.

IMHO, the 26 Nosler is DOA. A local dealer has got some rifles ordered, and is trying to convince me I need one. It ain't gonna happen. My .264's do just fine. No doubt the crowd who just has to have the latest and greatest will have to have a 26 Nosler, and will sing it's praises, until the next latest and greatest comes along. Then, that will be the end of the 26 Nosler.

It will do OK until they come out with the "28 Nosler" ; then it will be shades of 1962 all over again when Remington introduced the Rem. 7mm Magnum and the 264 Win. started it's downslide.. frown

History does often repeat itself..... shocked

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

Exactly.

I just looked up obsolete in our two big dictionaries, a Random House unabridged Webster's and the Oxford English Dictionary. The first line of the Webster's is "no longer in general use." The OED says, in part, "a discarded type or fashion."

Neither equals totally gone and disappeared, and I doubt if anyone could claim the .264 ever came into general use, or was a fashion. Instead it was a good cartridge that never beat out other good cartridges in general use or fashion, whether the .270 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum.

That's the reason it isn't a regular chambering among major rifle manufacturers. Like many rounds that never came into general use, it's occasionally chambered in special runs. My own .264 is a stainless-synthetic Hawkeye from Ruger's limited run a few years ago.

I hadn't read the article yet, so just did, and don't know what all the fuss is about. (Well, actually I do, but will get to that later.) Here's what Terry had to say just before the "obsolete" line:

"In 1958, Winchester introduced the .264 Winchester Magnum, one of the original short belted magnums. Loaded with a 140-grain bullet, it was a dynamite performer in many ways."

That doesn't sound to me like somebody trying to run down the .264. Instead it sounds like a fan, and knowing how much Terry likes the .257 and .270 Weatherby Magnums I can't imagine he feels differently about the .264.(I went on an elk hunt with him in 2012 and he brought his .270 Roy--a Mark V with a nice walnut stock from Weatherby's custom shop--and killed a good 6-point bull.)

In fact, the only part of the article I'd quibble with is where he says the .256 Newton "was nothing more nor less than the.30-06 necked to .264," which isn't exactly correct, though pretty close.

But he did NOT run down any of the 6.5mm cartridges in the article. Instead he pointed out the simple fact that 6.5's have never been big sellers in America. He didn't say they were ineffective or inaccurate, he merely pointed out that they never became as POPULAR here as various other cartridges in their same class, such as the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum. And that is absolutely correct.

He also did address the belt issue thoroughly and, in my opinion, correctly.

Apparently the reason so many people who've posted here got upset is they didn't really know the definition of "obsolete," so chose to interpret that single word as an insult to one of their favorite cartridges, when it was not. Others chose those posts to take shots at gun writers in general, while not even READING the article.

In fact, this whole thread reminds of the one that finally forced me to become a Campfire poster instead of a just a lurker, many years ago. Somebody posted a 2-sentence synopsis of one of my articles on this forum (which at the time was called "Ask Ken Howell"). While the synopsis was correct as far as it went, and was positive, other people jumped on it, saying I'd left out many important aspects of the subject--even though THEY hadn't read the article.

Well, duh. A 2-sentence synopsis isn't a 3000-word article. So I posted in an attempt to clear up the mix-up (much like I'm doing here), which eventually got me roped into joining Ken, and the name of the forum changed.

I don't agree with everything Terry writes because, oddly enough, gun writers don't agree on everything any more than most other shooters. But he is very knowledgeable student of firearms history, and also a life-long and very experienced hunter, shooter and handloader. He's also more accurate in his knowledge and use of the English language than most other gun writers, partly because he was a professional (and international) reporter for many years before starting to do any gun writing.

Terry knew exactly what he was saying when using "obsolete," and his use was correct. Unfortunately, a lot of magazine readers aren't as well-versed in English, and many rifle loonies look everywhere they can for a chance to take offense. Which is really what this thread is about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...many rifle loonies look everywhere they can for a chance to take offense.

Hey John: this is just like being the pastor of a church! grin

Just kidding. Good post. Now I know what Travis means when he calls Ingwe and the 7x57 obsolete.

Mike

Last edited by RevMike; 03/15/14.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
How to get a middle aged white guy wound up:

The (insert his favorite caliber) sucks. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would not call the 264WM obsolete.......

In America " politically INcorrect" is closer!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nyskt100
How to get a middle aged black guy wound up:

The 25ACP sucks. smile

Fixed it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No doubt. In fact the 26 Nosler will probably never sell nearly as well as the .264.

But I doubt Nosler ever expected it to, or cares. Instead it's an even more specialized cartridge for their limited production rifles. The major factor will whether it will be profitable, and I bet it will be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually read a article this morning, regarding the 264 Win from you John in Handloader mag number 233 Febuary 2005. As usual it was well done.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Did a follow-up piece last year too, using my Ruger as the test rifle.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What should we call a cartridge that is no longer popular, not chambered in factory offerings or is expensive and hard to get? Just because something is old, dose not make it any less useful. The 30-30 is about as old as it gets for smokeless powder cartridge and its still as useful as the day it was introduced for example.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey no prob just speaking the truth. Over the years I've picked up lots of knowledge from your writing. Your style makes it easy to learn from. I've said it before your the best in your field bar none.

Find much difference between your 26 inch Winchester opposed to the 24 inch Ruger. Gotta add great pick up finding that Winchester. Looks like it's in excellent condition.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terry Weiland may be somewhat knowledgable, efficient writer. But His name on the article usually causes me to skip it.

He has spent too much time as a reporter trying to the raise the ire of his readers. I read articles to learn, not have my emotions stirred. If that is the direction the magazines have been heading, I guess I am not missing much.

If the 264 is obsolete as a weapon, then all cartridges are obsolete. They all use the same technology.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
7 STW,

About 50-75 fps difference between the 24" and 26" barrel, depending on bullet weight and load.

John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

The 264 WM has survived for 55 years (1959-present); I doubt there will be a 26 Nosler in 2069.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.