Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In the April Handloader, Terry Weiland's article "In Defense of Belts" loses track of the title's stated subject, and decries 6.5 MM's in general, and the new 26 Nosler in particular, despite not having any experience with it, and says the .264 Winchester Magnum is obsolete.

Of course there is no definition of obsolete that would satisfy many at the fire, but I hold that the .264 Winchester Magnum is still one of the finest long range options out there for Western Game.

Some of the finest hunters I know carry nothing else in the field for Moose, Deer, Bear, Elk, Goats, Sheep, and Antelope. And any of the various 264's would kill the same range of game.

Would anyone here refuse to hunt because they were going to have to use a .264?

If you have one of these pieces of junk laying around and want to offload it fast PM me.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, it is. Doesnt mean it cant be put to good effect, its just not very popular.
Does it really matter, if you like it?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Obsolete depends which definition you are using of the word.

No longer produced or used: NO

To replace with something new: Sure

It ain't dead!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Haven't read my friend Terry's article yet, but he does like to stir people up.

Apparently he has.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it was in "The Hunting Rifle" where Jack O'Connor uses the term obsolete about several rifles/cartridges. In context, I took it to mean they were no longer available in factory rifles, or loaded factory ammo, or were on the way out...not that they were ineffective.

Just think about some of the funky old Winchester lever action cartridges. They would still get the job done, if you could find them.

I think he was trying to keep the target audience from buying a rifle it would hard to keep in factory ammo.

Not a bunch of rifle looneys, who like something because it is rare.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
10 years from now the 26 Nosler will be more obsolete than the 264WM.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I keep trying to find a reason to go below my 30's and 7X57 in Caliber, but the only two I think would get my wallet out are either a .264 or a .257 Weatherby, and they would have to have 26 inch barrels.

I should stake a claim to wildcatting the 26 Nosler: The MCN-Mags in 14 to 25, and 27 to 577. The world needs a .4427 Nosler.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 03/14/14.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman

IMHO, the 26 Nosler is DOA. A local dealer has got some rifles ordered, and is trying to convince me I need one. It ain't gonna happen. My .264's do just fine. No doubt the crowd who just has to have the latest and greatest will have to have a 26 Nosler, and will sing it's praises, until the next latest and greatest comes along. Then, that will be the end of the 26 Nosler.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Once upon a time the 264 was the 26 Nosler of its time.

I'm sure there were folks proclaiming the 264 dead on arrival too. Many cartridges come along, have their time in the spotlight, then become relatively obscure.

Examples are abundant,and it rarely has much to do with whether they are good or not.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 264 Win Mag rocks with modern powders and high BC bullets.

JD338

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Of course it does...cartridges are just canisters. Even old ones can benefit from updated powders and bullets.

All most of them do is change shape and style.But like women's shoes,makers have to invent something new to sell people.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To top it off I see this same writer has a story in the same issue of Handloader on keeping classic firearms shooting, focusing on old metric rounds - OMFG.

Writers should show some philosophical integrity.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the .264 Obsolete?

Not as obsolete as silly and useless gun writers who have to struggle to find something "interesting" to write - in order to uphold their "credibility". Apparently this poor soul does not understand the purpose of a rifle or the performance of the 6.5x55, the 6.5/06 and the .264 Win Mag that hang around here. He should interview a once-shot/dead mule deer or antelope, or elk.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is very infrequent that I find a writer I am disgusted with, Zumbo was tops, but this two faced bastard has gotten my ire up.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

CCCC, IIRC, TW took a Dall sheep with a 6.5x55. And he has written of his fondness for the .257 Wby. I'm sure he also has enough grey matter to realize that the "canister size" ,as Bob puts it, between the .264 WM and the .257 Wby is not that great and that .264 bullets offer even more ballistic potential arguably than the .25s.

These guys write for groceries so any observation, opinion, expectation, or even an aspect of one of these they have is fair game for an article. It's probably still accurate to say that in the States the 6.5s are outside looking in despite the .260 and the 6.5x284 and their adherents. And the old dog, the .264, in the right platform (no 24" tubes) while excellent is not exactly common.

Relax; it's just an article, not a something he is trying to get accepted into the canon of Scripture..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put forth the opinion that the term "obsolete" is a positive thing when it comes to guns and cartridges and that it stirs the nostalgic and collectors among us to rush out and buy one or maybe even several... LOL

I guess I'd probably pass as obsolete in many circles and I promise not to lose a whit of sleep over it... wink

Bob

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by CCCC
Is the .264 Obsolete?

Not as obsolete as silly and useless gun writers who have to struggle to find something "interesting" to write - in order to uphold their "credibility". Apparently this poor soul does not understand the purpose of a rifle or the performance of the 6.5x55, the 6.5/06 and the .264 Win Mag that hang around here. He should interview a once-shot/dead mule deer or antelope, or elk.

Ditto!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
He's an azz IMO and any round from the standards will appropriately deliver with an appropriate bullet and shooter to well 98% of shooters should be shooting. Ain't rocket science.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well there's certainly worse things today than uncommon cartridges.....seems those are the easiest one's to get brass for these days.

I have some 264 brass....but no rifle. smile

Just in case...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I doubt that obsolete or outdated are terms that have as much meaning as they used to.

We have bullets today that can make a given round perform over a much wider spectrum of use when combined with the powders available. I killed a 200 lb+ deer last fall with a .223 and made a 3 inch hole through the off side shoulder, tore up the lungs and left the heart loose in the chest. That using a 53 grain bullet. My 30-30 pushes 150 grain Barnes TSXs at 2400 FPS. I never tried to see, but with 3 full grans of LeverEvolution to go before it hits book max I think it will be right on 2700 FPS. 308 Winchesters with 130 grain TTSXs are really, really nice deer rounds, something a few years ago we used 150s for.

We have a lot more we can do with all rounds now. That includes high performance rounds too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gibby
Is the .264 Obsolete?

Ditto!

He wouldn't be writing the article if there wasn't a market for it. The market is right here on these pages.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good observation. Look at all the discussion its created. But, if the .264WM is obsolete, where does that leave me with the 6.5RM I just got? frown

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In good hspe, I think. Just shoot it until you're obsolete.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To me, labeling a cartridge as obsolete simply means that the case design is no longer cutting edge. It doesn't mean that the chambering is going to disappear or stop working. Obviously if it did disappear or stop working, it would be called obsolete as well grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
To me, labeling a cartridge as obsolete simply means that the case design is no longer cutting edge. It doesn't mean that the chambering is going to disappear or stop working. Obviously if it did disappear or stop working, it would be called obsolete as well grin

Now I won't feel so out-of-place adding a fourth 7x57 to the cabinet. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudstud

IMHO, the 26 Nosler is DOA. A local dealer has got some rifles ordered, and is trying to convince me I need one. It ain't gonna happen. My .264's do just fine. No doubt the crowd who just has to have the latest and greatest will have to have a 26 Nosler, and will sing it's praises, until the next latest and greatest comes along. Then, that will be the end of the 26 Nosler.

It will do OK until they come out with the "28 Nosler" ; then it will be shades of 1962 all over again when Remington introduced the Rem. 7mm Magnum and the 264 Win. started it's downslide.. frown

History does often repeat itself..... shocked

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

Exactly.

I just looked up obsolete in our two big dictionaries, a Random House unabridged Webster's and the Oxford English Dictionary. The first line of the Webster's is "no longer in general use." The OED says, in part, "a discarded type or fashion."

Neither equals totally gone and disappeared, and I doubt if anyone could claim the .264 ever came into general use, or was a fashion. Instead it was a good cartridge that never beat out other good cartridges in general use or fashion, whether the .270 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum.

That's the reason it isn't a regular chambering among major rifle manufacturers. Like many rounds that never came into general use, it's occasionally chambered in special runs. My own .264 is a stainless-synthetic Hawkeye from Ruger's limited run a few years ago.

I hadn't read the article yet, so just did, and don't know what all the fuss is about. (Well, actually I do, but will get to that later.) Here's what Terry had to say just before the "obsolete" line:

"In 1958, Winchester introduced the .264 Winchester Magnum, one of the original short belted magnums. Loaded with a 140-grain bullet, it was a dynamite performer in many ways."

That doesn't sound to me like somebody trying to run down the .264. Instead it sounds like a fan, and knowing how much Terry likes the .257 and .270 Weatherby Magnums I can't imagine he feels differently about the .264.(I went on an elk hunt with him in 2012 and he brought his .270 Roy--a Mark V with a nice walnut stock from Weatherby's custom shop--and killed a good 6-point bull.)

In fact, the only part of the article I'd quibble with is where he says the .256 Newton "was nothing more nor less than the.30-06 necked to .264," which isn't exactly correct, though pretty close.

But he did NOT run down any of the 6.5mm cartridges in the article. Instead he pointed out the simple fact that 6.5's have never been big sellers in America. He didn't say they were ineffective or inaccurate, he merely pointed out that they never became as POPULAR here as various other cartridges in their same class, such as the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Magnum. And that is absolutely correct.

He also did address the belt issue thoroughly and, in my opinion, correctly.

Apparently the reason so many people who've posted here got upset is they didn't really know the definition of "obsolete," so chose to interpret that single word as an insult to one of their favorite cartridges, when it was not. Others chose those posts to take shots at gun writers in general, while not even READING the article.

In fact, this whole thread reminds of the one that finally forced me to become a Campfire poster instead of a just a lurker, many years ago. Somebody posted a 2-sentence synopsis of one of my articles on this forum (which at the time was called "Ask Ken Howell"). While the synopsis was correct as far as it went, and was positive, other people jumped on it, saying I'd left out many important aspects of the subject--even though THEY hadn't read the article.

Well, duh. A 2-sentence synopsis isn't a 3000-word article. So I posted in an attempt to clear up the mix-up (much like I'm doing here), which eventually got me roped into joining Ken, and the name of the forum changed.

I don't agree with everything Terry writes because, oddly enough, gun writers don't agree on everything any more than most other shooters. But he is very knowledgeable student of firearms history, and also a life-long and very experienced hunter, shooter and handloader. He's also more accurate in his knowledge and use of the English language than most other gun writers, partly because he was a professional (and international) reporter for many years before starting to do any gun writing.

Terry knew exactly what he was saying when using "obsolete," and his use was correct. Unfortunately, a lot of magazine readers aren't as well-versed in English, and many rifle loonies look everywhere they can for a chance to take offense. Which is really what this thread is about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...many rifle loonies look everywhere they can for a chance to take offense.

Hey John: this is just like being the pastor of a church! grin

Just kidding. Good post. Now I know what Travis means when he calls Ingwe and the 7x57 obsolete.

Mike

Last edited by RevMike; 03/15/14.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
How to get a middle aged white guy wound up:

The (insert his favorite caliber) sucks. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would not call the 264WM obsolete.......

In America " politically INcorrect" is closer!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nyskt100
How to get a middle aged black guy wound up:

The 25ACP sucks. smile

Fixed it.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No doubt. In fact the 26 Nosler will probably never sell nearly as well as the .264.

But I doubt Nosler ever expected it to, or cares. Instead it's an even more specialized cartridge for their limited production rifles. The major factor will whether it will be profitable, and I bet it will be.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually read a article this morning, regarding the 264 Win from you John in Handloader mag number 233 Febuary 2005. As usual it was well done.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Did a follow-up piece last year too, using my Ruger as the test rifle.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What should we call a cartridge that is no longer popular, not chambered in factory offerings or is expensive and hard to get? Just because something is old, dose not make it any less useful. The 30-30 is about as old as it gets for smokeless powder cartridge and its still as useful as the day it was introduced for example.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey no prob just speaking the truth. Over the years I've picked up lots of knowledge from your writing. Your style makes it easy to learn from. I've said it before your the best in your field bar none.

Find much difference between your 26 inch Winchester opposed to the 24 inch Ruger. Gotta add great pick up finding that Winchester. Looks like it's in excellent condition.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Terry Weiland may be somewhat knowledgable, efficient writer. But His name on the article usually causes me to skip it.

He has spent too much time as a reporter trying to the raise the ire of his readers. I read articles to learn, not have my emotions stirred. If that is the direction the magazines have been heading, I guess I am not missing much.

If the 264 is obsolete as a weapon, then all cartridges are obsolete. They all use the same technology.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
7 STW,

About 50-75 fps difference between the 24" and 26" barrel, depending on bullet weight and load.

John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

The 264 WM has survived for 55 years (1959-present); I doubt there will be a 26 Nosler in 2069.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is the .264 Obsolete?

Maybe he is right; the 264 just might be obsolete. I haven't read any articles of anyone killing elephants with it lately (as did some of the turn-of-the 20th century hunters like D.W.M. Bell).

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No doubt. In fact the 26 Nosler will probably never sell nearly as well as the .264.

But I doubt Nosler ever expected it to, or cares. Instead it's an even more specialized cartridge for their limited production rifles. The major factor will whether it will be profitable, and I bet it will be.

PTG is already offering wildcat reamers in 25cal, 277cal, 7mm, 30cal, 325cal, 338 and 375. I shoot a virtually identical case in the 458AccRel ... and the ARs (AccurateReloading) are in 416/458 and 470 caliber.

The case is pretty interesting ... whether Nosler appreciates it well enough to offer the 'wildcats' will be the deciding factor. Mate and I are already arguing over which of the 'wildcat' reamers to bring in. Damn gunsmith who'll do the ordering however has gone fishing for a week. Guy must think he's retired or something! grin

Just waiting for Lee to make 26Nosler dies, could you have a word with them? They open up real easy and are infinitely cheaper than custom die sets! wink

Just to get back on topic ... as long as ammunition is being made no cartridge is obsolete. When reloaders have a decade of making brass from other cases ... then its semi-obsolete. If you have to scrounge to find dies ... okay, its obsolete!
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 03/15/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer, I enjoy and appreciate you contributions here on the Fire, much because of the knowledge and experience behind those writings. On the other hand, it does seem odd, and even humorous, when one �gun writer� seems to find it necessary to go to such length to defend or justify what another �gun writer� publishes. You yourself said that writer does like to �stir things up� and, if that was his goal, he may have succeeded. However, such stirring often lies far from presenting solid info, data and useful insight that appeal to, and add to the knowledge of, readers who wish to grow.

I am not the least upset by his article, and particularly not because he maligned one or more of my �favorite� cartridges. None of those are my favorite, but I know some things about their effectiveness and know full well, from a practical standpoint, that the .264 WM is not at all obsolete. Not upset � but a bit disgusted by such writing for the apparent purposes of stirring things up among those who would rather learn something useful, and of getting one more article published. Who needs that?

You write that the fellow knew exactly what he was saying when he used the term �obsolete�, then cite a couple of dictionary definitions and go from there in defending him. However, that comes across as definitional hair-splitting when one considers other recognized definitions of �obsolete�, such as: �no longer in general use; fallen into disuse; of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date; replaced with something newer or better; out of use or practice; not current; unfashionable or outmoded�. Or, if one wishes to get pedantic, let�s go back to the mid 1500s for the Latin root (obsoletus) in its past participle form (obsolescere) �to fall into disuse�.

I don�t think those terms describe the subject cartridge, and think it will take more than a wordsmith defense to place that piece of writing in a good light.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
he gets paid to entertain and to induce thought. he succeeded. why nitpick any further?

not said to anyone in particular. just out loud.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the rounds I use and shoot are obsolete, from 9,3X72R to 325 WSM.

My "264" is a more-obsolete than the youngster 264 Win, but I kill deer fine with the 6.5X57R.

Getting ruffled at the truth is pretty common among rifle-loonies. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
not in my house, it is very much alive

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well I love 6.5s, and I am obsolete... so maybe that was what was being referred to,, or at least to justify the statement...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, unlike many Americans, I read the article. Nothing in there ruffled my feathers. I think he said 6.5 mm's were great, but not popular, and if not for reloaders, would have likely died out in America.

He said belts were not bad, even if not needed.

He did say the .264 WM was obsolete, and the 6.5 RM had an even shorter life.

I thought the article was kind of about belts, and kind of about 6.5's and kind of about the Nosler .26.

I think the author would be a good guy to have a beer with.

Sycamore

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Talking about obsolete cartridges is like talking about little green men from Mars....there ain't no such thing in either case.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CCCC,

Notice that none of the definitions you list means "extinct," which is what others apparently think is the meaning of "obsolete"--including, it would seem, you.

That aside, my major point was wondering how siskiyou thought Terry was running down the .264 after saying: "Loaded with a 140-grain bullet, it was a dynamite performer in many ways."

Glad you find it amusing that I'm defending the article, but as noted in my post I've seen a lot of ignorant and even stupid Campfire comments on various magazine articles, often by people who never read the articles. I've also gotten a lot of ignorant and stupid letters. One, for instance, objected to the phrase "the subspecies of humans known by some as rifle loonies." This guy felt insulted by "subspecies," which he thought meant some very low form of animal. Personally, I would have round-filed his letter, but the editor of the magazine asked me to respond, so I did.

While I don't respond to every letter or post by people who somehow interpret "subspecies" as a pejorative, or "obsolete" as "the cartridge you're using is a POS" (especially right after the writer praised the cartridge) I do respond to some, and will continue to now and then. I hope you continue to find this amusing.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.... Or, if one wishes to get pedantic, let�s go back to the mid 1500s for the Latin root (obsoletus) in its past participle form (obsolescere) �to fall into disuse�. ...

Well, apparently one does, anyway. blush

Sycamore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I've got to say is y'all need to read Stephen Hunter's latest book, The Third Bullet. All kinds of 6.5 goodness.

As for me, I'm a '59 model and like other things which came into being that year. Already have several .22 WMR envelopes around the house, but still need a .264 WM, a .358 Norma Magnum and a bright red '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible.

Guess the .264 will come first on this bucket list, just because they're a bit more common. To frost the cake, I rediscovered something: I was born on Day 264 of the Julian Calendar.

Cosmic Rifle Loony Nirvana, boys!

Check out this trip down Memory Lane:
Guns Magazine April 1959

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 03/15/14.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunter does keep up with all the latest gun and gear. I've have to pick up a copy!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one is about what was available in late '63, John... wink

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 03/15/14.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
All I've got to say is y'all need to read Stephen Hunter's latest book, The Third Bullet. All kinds of 6.5 goodness.

As for me, I'm a '59 model and like other things which came into being that year. Already have several .22 WMR envelopes around the house, but still need a .264 WM, a .358 Norma Magnum and a bright red '59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible.

Guess the .264 will come first on this bucket list, just because they're a bit more common. To frost the cake, I rediscovered something: I was born on Day 264 of the Julian Calendar.

Cosmic Rifle Loony Nirvana, boys!

Check out this trip down Memory Lane:
Guns Magazine April 1959

Absolute great book. Can you tell from my username that I enjoy Hunter's works...grins.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gotcha!

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dad's a fan too. We ate up there and enjoying the post-meal conversation. I had to sneak in his gun room and snap a pic of one of the shelves..Mr. Hunter keeps good company...

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have thought about the term obsolete, and the only cartridges I think are not obsolete by Mule Deer's definition from the dictionary are the 5.56 Nato, the 7.62X39, and the 9mm Parabelum, though that nomenclature is obsolete. I am not sure if the .22 rim fire exists or not anymore.

In all honesty no cartridge was ever in general use worldwide.

Certainly the 264 is made from current use technology: the belted magnums seem to be surviving along with the .473 family, while none of the Rums, Saums, and other newer iterations seem to be achieving non-obsolescence.

It seems the term obsolete is about worthless in the description of cartridges, though I think the .43 Egyptian qualifies, just to show I am not dogmatic about it.

Mule Deer I appreciate your input, I think you have good ground here for a thoughtful article.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For some reason or other the phrase "tilting at windmills" comes to mid here. Can't imgine why

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Siskiyou,

Thanks for your input as well.

A lot would depend on what sort of general use. I mean, do we mean humans in general, or big game hunters in general? The latter is, I suspect, what we've been talking about--and the .264 has always primarily been a big game cartridge. If we're talking big game cartridges, the .30-06 is probably the most generally used on the planet. (And among recent centerfire cartridges, the WSSM's are probably the most obsolete....)

For a couple of years I've been thinking about an article on centerfire rifle cartridges that were chambered ONLY in one factory rifle--and if that rifle wasn't produced anymore, then that round would have to be considered obsolete. The inspiration for the idea was the .348 Winchester--but even it wasn't chambered only in the Model 71 Winchester (and Browning reproduction) as apparently some European double rifles were chambered in .348! Which makes sense, as it's a rimmed medium-bore that would be perfect for a lot of European driven game.

Odd you should bring up the .43 Egyptian. I almost caved the other day when a Rolling Block .43 Spanish showed up on the used rack at a local store, in good shape with a very shiny bore. But which .43 Spanish cartridge is it chambered in, and which version is the most obsolete? I'm not put off by having to jump through some hoops to handload some older cartridge, but after some research this one looked like more of PITA than it was worth.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Funny you should mention rolling blocks, because my son picked up a number 4 in the nearly obsolete 32 Rim fire (OK, Obsolete), I saw the articles and web info on shooting it as a 32 RF, but that was a PITA too. I have beefed up the Screws and re-chambered it in 32 S&W Long, which may be obsolete too, but my local gun store had four choices of ammo for that chambering.

I think in general the percentage of 264 still used for game is as high as most cartridges, like I said in the beginning, some of the best Western big game hunters I know won't leave home without theirs.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might have to do a local survey, but in the 24 years since we moved to this area of southwestern Montana (about an hour from where I grew up) I've only run into two .264's users. Well, three if you count me--and I bought my first .264 from one of the other guys!

I do KNOW, however, that the .264 has made something of a comeback in the past decade. Published my first article on it for HANDLOADER in 2005, when there was very little current handloading data, and none with newer, more appropriate powders--so literally had to work up my own loads, using a combination of case-head expansion and chronograph results.

After buying my Ruger I found a LOT of current data, with far more powders, and only a year after doing a write-up on all of that, find even more data available. Plus, my Ruger has a 1-8 twist, considered much more appropriate for 6.5mm rounds these days. No doubt Ruger used that twist because they were also using it in the 6.5 Creedmoor, but it's also an indication of increasing popularity.

Though I doubt the 6.5's have increased significantly in popularity among most hunters, who still buy a lot of .243's, 25-06's, .270's. .30-06's and .300 Winchester Magnums. A lot of rifle loonies have a somewhat skewed view of what's popular, since we spend so much of our time among other rifle loonies!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CCCC,
Notice that none of the definitions you list means "extinct," which is what others apparently think is the meaning of "obsolete"--including, it would seem, you. - - -
Mule Deer, I understand your nice reply - but - you "seem" incorrectly. I provided sensible definitions and never saw obsolete to mean "extinct", or would have said so.

Glad you find it amusing that I'm defending the article, - -
Said I found your defense of him odd, and even humorous - but no amusement here.

Carry on - looking forward to more of your good work

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.264 Win Mags are still sought after in our part of the world. The original pre-64 Westerners are especially prized. So far, all of the new Model 70 EWs that have made it this far south and west have been .264 Win Mags. All that I have heard about were actually spoken for before the LGS got them in their hands.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not a writer!

One of my past gun regrets is sending an early Browning Safari (long extractor) in .264, down the road because of muzzle blast from the 22" barrel. It was accurate, but a 24" or even a 26" tube would have been much better for noise and velocity. In retrospect, I should have just had a longer factory contour barrel fitted. I suppose in those days, I was into more of the collector mentality than I am today.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thinking about this I can recall one old timer from Durango who used a 264 for much of his hunting in North America and Africa. This was back in 1979-1980;the next guy I bumped into was John Burns,and the third is an old pal of mine who happens to like pre 64 Winchesters,owned one, and has hunted with it a few times.

I have owned 3 that I recall and took one to Alberta. Other than this activity,I can't recall any other 264 users. I suspect the popularity of long range shooting/hunting has a lot to do with the minor resurgence.But still it isn't a cartridge that pops up very frequently the places I have hunted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gonna have to start prowling Web for a '59 Westerner, I guess. Though an EW .264 WM don't sound bad. Shame Tikka don't make a T3! Sorry for the blasphemy.

P.S. Sure hope all faithful here have read Hunter's Pale Horse Coming. Many icons squeezing rounds in that one...

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well for my part among Southern hunters....

I began center fire deer hunting in 1972 and have hunted Ar. La. Miss. & Al.

All together of the hunters and handloaders I've met there is a TOTAL on ONE (1) person who had a 264 WM. He also is one of many I introduced and got him involved on handloading.

That says something on the popularity/obsolence of the 264 WM.

Personally I have not one thing against the cartridge.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here I must note that if the .264 was in "general use," then rifle loonies wouldn't get all excited about ordering one from a limited run. Instead they'd just buy one off the rack of a local store, like they can with .270 Winchester's and 7mm Remington Magnums.

From what I've gathered about the early history of the .264, it sold pretty well until the 7mm RM appeared in 1962, and then stopped dead--as did the .280 Remington.

Hunters who weren't around then can't imagine what a phenomenon the "Seven Em Em" was in those days. Take the early craze over the .300 WSM, multiply it 10 times, then extend it for a decade, and you might have some idea.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The fact that when the 264 win mag came out the gun writers of the day dubbed it a barrel burner and tha turned a lot of prospective buyers off and of course the 7mm arrived and it's fate was sealed.

I have not read the entire thread and this may have been mentioned previously.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There were also reports that the factory ammo didn't get the advertised velocities--though my old Speer #6 manual contains chronograph tests they did with a lot of factory ammo, and the Winchester 140's came reasonably close. I've also found it close in the .two .264's I've owned. (The 100-grain load didn't come anywhere near specs in the Speer test, and was discontinued a number of years ago.) Many powders of the day weren't particular good for top velocities, consistent velocities in varying temperatures, or long barrel life.

No doubt much of the recent modest rebirth of the .264 is due to newer powders and better long-range bullets, especially in 6.5mm, the current favorite among many long-range shooters. Which is why I did the testing for my second HANDLOADER .264 article with target and higher-BC hunting bullets.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 45-70 hasn't become obsolete, so I'd say the .264 Magnum isn't about to hit the museum just yet.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here I must note that if the .264 was in "general use," then rifle loonies wouldn't get all excited about ordering one from a limited run. Instead they'd just buy one off the rack of a local store, like they can with .270 Winchester's and 7mm Remington Magnums.

From what I've gathered about the early history of the .264, it sold pretty well until the 7mm RM appeared in 1962, and then stopped dead--as did the .280 Remington.

Hunters who weren't around then can't imagine what a phenomenon the "Seven Em Em" was in those days. Take the early craze over the .300 WSM, multiply it 10 times, then extend it for a decade, and you might have some idea.

Looking back on that time, what percentage of 7 mags would you guess are present today resultant from that nonsense?

What would you project will be left of the WSM/WSSMs in thirty years?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the OP doesn't know the difference between unpopular and ineffective.

The .264 is certainly still effective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If "obsolete" is synonymous with "Best Big Game Cartridge Ever" then I guess I would agree with the author. grin

When we balance delivered killing power and recoil the .264 Win Mag/140ge VLD stands at the top of the heap. The 7mm Rem Mag is a close second. wink

A few .264 Win Mag picts just for fun.

A 400yd Muley and 980yd Bull.

[Linked Image]

Same rifle with a 150yd Whitey:

[Linked Image]

Near to far the .264 Win Mag is "The Best Big Game Cartridge Ever" laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The 45-70 hasn't become obsolete, so I'd say the .264 Magnum isn't about to hit the museum just yet.

I'm guessing here but.....

I think the 45-70 is more popular and used than the 264. ??

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Uhhh, can you say 'prejudiced'?? grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Odd you should bring up the .43 Egyptian. I almost caved the other day when a Rolling Block .43 Spanish showed up on the used rack at a local store, in good shape with a very shiny bore. But which .43 Spanish cartridge is it chambered in, and which version is the most obsolete? I'm not put off by having to jump through some hoops to handload some older cartridge, but after some research this one looked like more of PITA than it was worth.

My first center-fire rifle was a 7X57mm rolling block I ordered from Golden State Arms in 1956 for $7.97 plus shipping (about $3). It was in crummy shape with all the grease/cosmoline spread on it. I spent many pleasant hours cleaning it and re-finishing the stock and fore-end with tung oil. The barrel exterior is pitted (none of these South American rifles were very well cared for) but the bore is pristine.

I take it to the range 3-4 time a year and it takes me back 55 years! Lots of fun!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB, I enjoyed your post and those photos of the good-looking game you bagged - at some distances - with that .264WM. Can't quite figure how a guy can do that with a cartridge so obsolete. Maybe you could write and explain that to the gun writer who made the declaration.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

Uhhh, can you say 'prejudiced'?? grin grin

Is "prejudiced" synonymous with "unbiased". grin grin

JB, I enjoyed your post and those photos of the good-looking game you bagged - at some distances - with that .264WM. Can't quite figure how a guy can do that with a cartridge so obsolete. Maybe you could write and explain that to the gun writer who made the declaration.

Well I didn't do the shooting, just saw the results.

I did kill a little bull this year at an even 1000yds with the .264 Win Mag. Glad the bull never read that the ol .264 Win Mag was obsolete or he might have decided not to die. grin

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Someone want to share some 140 VLD load data?

John (either John)?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Obsolete? Of course not. Not pushed by the industry. Have to come up with something new always. Had a moron tell me my 300 H&H mag was ,yet he couldn't hit the same steel plates at 4 to 800 yards with
His new fangled whatever.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess my .264 Winchester Magnum doesn't realize it's obsolete...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...I didn't let it read Terry's article or this thread so it won't ever find out.

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Is "prejudiced" synonymous with "unbiased". grin grin

PROBABLY.....in rifle 'loonyism' grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

I tried several powders in my Ruger .264 for an article in HANDLOADER, and Ramshot Magnum, Reloder 25 and Retumbo worked best. In my rifle 63.5 grains of RL-25 shot the smallest groups woith 140's, and showed zero signs of high pressure with cases or over the chronograph, even though it's 3.5 grains over Alliant's max. But am in the process of trying some even slower powders now, which are more temp-stable than RL-15--though 25 would work fine if you're not hunting in widely varying weather.

I should add that in my first .264, a pre-'64 Model 70 Westerner, Magnum turned out to be the best powder with 140's. There wasn't any published data then, but the load I settled on (68.5 grains) turned out to be just about exactly what Ramshot lists as their maximum among 140's today. It got around 3220 fps and very good accuracy from the 26" barrel.

I believe John Burns uses Retumbo, but he also uses a longer throat than standard. He'll probably be along to clarify.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/17/14.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John,

Thanks for your reply. What issue of Handloader? How can I get a copy?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm not sure of the exact issue, but it appeared around the middle of last year. If you log onto www.handloader.com there's information on getting back issues.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least the writer who termed it "obsolete" caused this nice thread on the .264WM. I have learned some things.

In thinking about the 30:06, 7x57, 6.5x55, .300 H&H, .264WM and others, am nearing the conclusion that most gun writers become obsolete well before the cartridges about which they write.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Someone want to share some 140 VLD load data?

John (either John)?

While I would not recommend it I can tell you that 72grs of Retumbo gets just shy of 3250 fps in my long throated chamber and a 26 inch barrel. 1800 rnds and still accurate.

I have shot this load in factory Remington .264 Win Mag chambers and have worn out them out in 1200 rnds. It is way over book loads and almost assuredly way over SAAMI max pressures. I am not saying it is a safe load, only that I have shot quite a few of them and never died. shocked

I believe the throat geometry has more to do with the short barrel life than the high pressures.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang Burns, when I asked you for your secret load, you told me 68 grains........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you think the .264 is obsolete put the barrel on one in your mouth and pull the trigger. Then let us know how you feel about it in a couple hours.

NRA Lifetime Member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I know of an antelope on my wall that can attest the 264 is not obsolete.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dang Burns, when I asked you for your secret load, you told me 68 grains........

No I told you 71grs of Retumbo was a max in Factory Rem 700s. I have shot 72 gr in a bunch of them.

As always I am not recommending anything, just stating my experience.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As has already been stated here, Muledeer did a great job on the articles. When the weather gets a little better I am going to take his data and shoot it in the 24" Rem and the 27" Gatlin custom to see how our velocity compares. I have seen over 100fps difference between my 26" gun and my 24" gun. When I have to kill something a long way off I do pull out a .264. Here is the boogieman with way over 2000 shots down the tube. No deer is safe with this thing in the field.......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It seems to me what isn't obsolete is some individuals thinking through a lack of experience.....

Last edited by mmgravy; 03/17/14.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

No I told you 71grs of Retumbo was a max in Factory Rem 700s. I have shot 72 gr in a bunch of them.

As always I am not recommending anything, just stating my experience.

I didn't mean to imply you were holdin' out on me......

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 264 is about as obsolete as the....well....the 26 Nosler, the 7mm LRM, the 300 WSM,etc etc.

I don't think anything invented since the 30/06 or 7x57 is "obsolete". Unpopular maybe, but not obsolete.

Sit in the butts and listen to bullets from any of these cartridges come cracking over your head from 500-600 yards away,and we won't think any of them are obsolete.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

"Unpopular" is EXACTLY what obsolete means. As I noted in an earlier post, the primary definition in an unabridged Webster's dictionary is "no longer in general use."

This does NOT mean .264's don't exist, or are ineffective--and that's definitely NOT what the author of the article said. Apparently I need to repeat what he wrote in the sentence just before using the fateful word obsolete: "Loaded with a 140-grain bullet, it's a dynamite performer in many ways."

Another word people often misunderstand is "moot." (You should get this one, because you're a lawyer.) Ask 10 people the meaning of moot and they'll say "irrelevant," but it actually means debatable, hypothetical or theoretical. Something moot CAN be irrelevant, but that's not the meaning. Similarly, something obsolete CAN be extinct or dysfunctional, but that's not the meaning.

Here's a parallel to the .264: For the past decade I've been driving a Ford F350 pickup made in 2000. It still runs great, partly because I maintain it well and partly because it's only used when the room and power is needed, as when pulling my 20-foot trailer or bringing home a dead moose. As a result it's driven less than 10,000 miles a year.

But it's obsolete, because relatively few F350's made in 2000 are in general use. I wouldn't get upset if somebody called it obsolete, just as I didn't get upset when reading the article, and leap to my computer to defend such a slur against my own .264.

Apparently, however, many shooters always stand ready to defend their cartridge's honor. We've seen this many times before on the Campfire, sometimes in similar circumstances, where something in a magazine article is quoted out of context, or people misunderstand some relatively innocent word.

In many ways this thread is much like the ".270 versus .280" threads that pop up regularly. It keeps going not due to any real substance but because rifle loonies like to argue about minutiae, even if they're mistaken about the minutiae. And I'm sure Rick Bin is happy, because lots of posts allow him to charge higher advertising rates.

Okay, I had my say. Now everybody can go back to defending the honor of the .264 against cyberspace libel.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John I should have looked up the definition of "obsolete" before posting.I shoulda known better grin

I equate it with "useless"... blush obviously that's not correct I guess.I did read Terry's article and could not find any issue with it either.

I guess my point is that some otherwise excellent cartridges fall in and out of favor with the majority of shooters for reasons that have nothing to do with their merits...the 264 is one of them,as is the 280 Remington.

Both had the misfortune of bumping into the tidal wave of popularity known as the 7 Rem Mag,and had the 270 Winchester nipping at their heels with a 30+ year head start. All this means they lost the popularity battle,but it takes nothing away from their respective merits as BG cartridges....which was my central point, I think. smile

And since we have been in the smokeless era for over 100 years now,we see that with updated bullets, good rifles,and modern powders,even the old timers can make surprisingly good showings which was the reason for my reference to the old 7x57 and 30/06.

In any event the 264 is the only cartridge with which I have hit a rock at 1300 yards (on purpose),so it has my endorsement. smile

Hell I almost bought one the other day but decided to keep flinging 7mm bullets instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

"Unpopular" is EXACTLY what obsolete means. As I noted in an earlier post, the primary definition in an unabridged Webster's dictionary is "no longer in general use."

I did look up the word obsolete and here are a few more definitions that seem more inline with how I would use the term.

1. No longer in use: an obsolete word.
2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.
3. Biology Vestigial or imperfectly developed, especially in comparison with other individuals or related species; not clearly marked or seen; indistinct. Used of an organ or other part of an animal or plant.
tr.v. ob�so�let�ed, ob�so�let�ing, ob�so�letes
To cause to become obsolete.

Now I might have agreed with the term, obsolete, if we were talking about the .270 Win or the .280 Rem. shocked laugh

To label the .264 Win Mag obsolete in any way is simply wrong and the author should be should be forced to hunt with a 30-06 (talk about obsolete) for the rest of his life.

264 Win Mag RULES.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, an absolute dandy bull!

I'll stick to my lowly 308 Win, but I'm glad the 264 WM is in this world...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Excellent work with an obsolete cartridge!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First things first!

Super Dandy Bull----even if he was suicidal!! laugh laugh

I did look up the word obsolete and here are a few more definitions that seem more inline with how I would use the term.

2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction:

....the author should be should be forced to hunt with a 30-06 (talk about obsolete) for the rest of his life.

I repeat, I don't have anything against the 264 WM.

By definition 1. the 264 is obsolete when COMPARED by the Number of them in use TO the number of other big game cartridges in use.

Clearly the 264 is NOT "outmoded in design, style, or construction" as it varies little from the 7 RM.

My personal use of 'obsolete' is 'outdated'. I might hastily add that many of US are nearing 'outdated'. grin

Whether deserved or not, to many hunters the 264 is obsolete because they've never heard of it nor seen one in the field.

Even since the 264 is not popular nor widely used AND is of an older design, one thing the 264 IS NOT, 'INeffective'!!!!!

Lastly, NO definition of 'obsolete' applies to the 30-06. shocked whistle

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Manufacturers and designers talk about "built-in obsolescence" especially with respect to electronics etc.

Maybe they mean built in unpopularity, and that's what they are trying to achieve as they get people to buy a new mobile phone or 3d TV.

But to my mind its about a product becoming superseded by a superior design, which by nature will encourage consumers to desert their old product and flock to the new one.

To that end I guess I agree with point two of John Burns' definition above ie... 2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.

I can't see where nearly any of the cartridges mentioned in this thread have been superseded because the basic design hasn't changed through the introduction of the later cartridges. They all still have a brass case of similar basic shape and method of ignition, propulsion etc.

In fact these older cartridges have been constantly upgraded by new components like better powders, bullets, loading techniques. In a sense they are a different product than they were when first released.

A 30-06 using a 190g LRAB, using a full charge of R17 is a different beast to that being loaded into magazines of all those Springfield rifles many years ago.

Obsolete, no. As to the 264; unless it has been superseded by a superior product I can't agree that it's obsolete either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob,

2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.
3. Biology Vestigial or imperfectly developed, especially in comparison with other individuals or related species; not clearly marked or seen; indistinct. Used of an organ or other part of an animal or plant.
tr.v. ob�so�let�ed, ob�so�let�ing, ob�so�letes
To cause to become obsolete.

Now I might have agreed with the term, obsolete, if we were talking about the .270 Win or the .280 Rem. shocked laugh

To label the .264 Win Mag obsolete in any way is simply wrong and the author should be should be forced to hunt with a 30-06 (talk about obsolete) for the rest of his life.

264 Win Mag RULES.

[Linked Image]

Looks like a bitch of a place to get an elk out of.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
If you think the .264 is obsolete put the barrel on one in your mouth and pull the trigger. Then let us know how you feel about it in a couple hours.

It's a constant source of amusement that some guys get so worked up over someone else's opinion of a particular cartridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

I must admit to not reading you last post carefully enough so must amend my comment:

Great job with a vestigial cartridge!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think if a words common meaning is different from the dictionary meaning, then the dictionary definition is obsolete, my point may be moot.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's an excellent point!

Dictionary definitions are at least in part based on common usage, and meanings can change over time. Someday one definition of "like" is going to be "said," as in: "And I'm like, hey where's that guy with the obsolete rifle?"

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"And I'm like, hey where's that guy with the obsolete rifle?"

That gave me my Chuckle Of The Day... Word. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Okay, I had my say. Now everybody can go back to defending the honor of the .264 against cyberspace libel.

I think this sums it up nicely. There are plenty of great cartridges that aren't mainstream by today's standards. I have several: 41 magnum, 264 Win, even the 222 Remington Magnum, which I am singlehandedly trying to resurrect to it's rightful place as a fantastic cartridge.

The virtues of each cartridge or particular firearm in it's original offering, changes from year to year and when the change isn't popular, it doesn't stop the morphisis.

Along with the obsolescence of cartridges is the state of the firearm itself when we see plastic and stainless steel replacing Chrome-moly and Walnut. I will probably be caught in obsolescence for the rest of my life as I can't accept the preferred changes in firearms to stainless/plastic...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks Brad, blind hogs and acorns come to mind. grin

Originally Posted by teal
Looks like a bitch of a place to get an elk out of.

I just had the employees haul it out and even hitched a ride myself. laugh
[Linked Image]

John,

I must admit to not reading you last post carefully enough so must amend my comment:

Great job with a vestigial cartridge!

Vestigial is synonymous with "AWESOME", right???

Holy buckets, I just looked up vestigial and it is even worse, way worse, than obsolete. WTF is up with this crusade by all the Gunwriters to destroy the pinnacle of cartridge development for big game hunting (that would be the .264 Win Mag for those that are late to the party)???????????

All right then JB, I say the B29 is DOUBLE VESTIGIAL. Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot. shocked shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, the B29 is happy with whatever it can get! Double vestigial mythical would be even better....

Glad you are making .264's. Somebody needs to.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Well that is unfortunate news that the .264 WM is obsolete. I have a new one in the gun room and a flat rate box full of once fired brass I was hoping to play with this spring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oakster
Well that is unfortunate news that the .264 WM is obsolete. I have a new one in the gun room and a flat rate box full of once fired brass I was hoping to play with this spring.

First of all, why waste your time and effort on an obsolete round. grin

Secondly, all your components won't do you any good since you can't get bullets. frown

Thirdly, so I'll PM you my address and you can send that obsolete rifle/cartridge and components to me. I'll take it off your hands and leave you more room in your safe/storage. whistle

That's the least a fellow loony can do for another! laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mule deer has probably forgotten it entirely, but he wrote a really good article about "semi-wildcats" several years ago. A Semi-wildcat is a factory round that is so hard to find that you have to handload it to get decent (or any) ammo. I'll bet there aren't a hundred .264 shooters who don't handload for it, so it would qualify as a semi-wildcat.

If you have to handload it to use it, it just might be "obsolete." If you have to buy used brass to handload it, it just might be even more obsolete.

If you have to make your brass out of 7 mag . . . then we know for sure it's obsolete.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hey, I do vaguely remember that article!

Though it took your reminder to dredge it out of my semi-obsolete memory.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

Thanks Brad, blind hogs and acorns come to mind. grin

Nah, just don't need to compensate wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I recently found a .264 Pre Garcia Sako for under 800 and the rational side of my brain said you have this covered in your current battery. Now that I am becoming a Sako looney I am kicking myself over it every day. Wonder if they still have it. Bet someone recognized it and swooped in on it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Be sure to borescope the throat.

Just kidding - I think.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gremcat,

If I'd run across that Sako it would be in my safe right now!

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That was one of the reasons I didn't jump right away because it looked well loved. The bluing was solid but the stock had a lot of wear.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mule Deer pm sent

Last edited by gremcat; 03/21/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Well the .264/6.5's are obsolete....

Don't have a single one in my gunsafe. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gremcat,

If I'd run across that Sako it would be in my safe right now!

I found one here on the Campfire and even found another deluxe stock to put it in and bed the action so I can blast varmints with it. I am sure there are not many that varmint hunt with an obsolete, pre-Garcia, Bofors marked Sako deluxe...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What kind of varmints are you going to use the .264 on?? It makes a wonderful coyote/rockchuck rifle..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
David,

I tried several powders in my Ruger .264 for an article in HANDLOADER, and Ramshot Magnum, Reloder 25 and Retumbo worked best. In my rifle 63.5 grains of RL-25 shot the smallest groups woith 140's, and showed zero signs of high pressure with cases or over the chronograph, even though it's 3.5 grains over Alliant's max. But am in the process of trying some even slower powders now, which are more temp-stable than RL-15--though 25 would work fine if you're not hunting in widely varying weather.

I should add that in my first .264, a pre-'64 Model 70 Westerner, Magnum turned out to be the best powder with 140's. There wasn't any published data then, but the load I settled on (68.5 grains) turned out to be just about exactly what Ramshot lists as their maximum among 140's today. It got around 3220 fps and very good accuracy from the 26" barrel.

Hi John,

How temp-stable is Ramshot Magnum

Thanks

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's pretty good, or at least has been in the cartridges I've tried it in. The first round I used it extensively in was the .257 Weatherby Magnum, pretty similar to the .264. The load I worked up with 100-grain TSX's lost 27 fps from 70 to zero Fahrenheit, with no change in POI or accuracy.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'm sure there were folks proclaiming the 264 dead on arrival too. Many cartridges come along, have their time in the spotlight, then become relatively obscure.

Examples are abundant,and it rarely has much to do with whether they are good or not.

very interesting post.....and can't say I disagree with any of it.....
I've owned two M-70 rifles in .264 Mag and liked them both except I just am not a long barrel fan....26 " barrels don't fit in my gun cabinet.....I even bobbed my .300 H&H from 26" to 24" to make it a tad easier to carry without snagging every branch in the mountains. My current model is a custom I produced and it sports a 23" barrel......and it's a lot happier in my gun rack than the older 26" model was.

I much prefer it over the .257 Weatherby rifles I've owned for it's ability to handle heavier bullets and with 100 grain TTSX, it shoots very well

In truth, I have never done anything with it that I couldn't have done with my .25-06 or my 270 Winchester....but it's not for sale....at least not yet.

Is it obsolete?....certainly not in my house!

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I used my 264 to take my biggest Bull, and my biggest Buck at 658, and 498 yards. One shot kills for each. 140 VLD at a pretty mild 3100 fps. It's my go to gun when it' time to get serious about filling a tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think all my cartridges are "obsolete." They seem to work somehow, though, and I'm not about to stop using them. Maybe one day I'll acquire something that isn't obsolete.

Really, though...the headstamp is the least important part of the equation. What counts is: what bullet it is, how fast it is going, and where it hits.

Long live the .30-30 and the .45-70. They have their place.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WW & RP still load it. $40-$50 a box not inexpensive but there are more expensive factory rounds for sale out there. Looked at a new M70 the other day and anew M70 Featherweight both chambered for 264 Win Mag. Not obsolete in my book, what is obsolete about them are the frigging SAAMI spec short throats made for the old dual diameter bullets loaded by Remington and WW. Sheeeit, Rem even uses the same 140 dual diameter in their 140gr Creemoor factory load. Be awhile before I get rid of my M700 Ltd Classic in 264.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Here is a couple of obsolete 264’s. One is a three digit and the other a low four digit Sako’s with 26” barrels. They both shoot sub inch with 140 Berger’s or 140 Ballistic tips. I have a box of 120 Barnes TTSX I’m going to try.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 03/25/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Here is a couple of obsolete 264’s. One is a three digit and the other a low four digit Sako’s with 26” barrels. They both shoot sub inch with 140 Berger’s or 140 Ballistic tips. I have a box of 120 Barnes TTSX I’m going to try.

[Linked Image]

Sure like the looks of those, Hanco. 😎😎

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thank you

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've always wanted a 264

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
When I was just a kid reading gun/outdoor magazines I remember thinking what a great long range deer zapper the .264 would be. Alas, even back then I was aware I'd never get the chance to really stretch it's legs around here.... So I bought a .30-30 and set about killing the hell out of the local deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long ago when I was a kid my uncle the gun smith made an antelope rifle for himself in .264 WM. Nobody (outside the immediate family) could figure out why since the cartridge was obsolete even way back then. (Franny had heart problems and couln't walk far.) And man, he would of had fun with today's slower powders.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don 't know, with the new powders available it must move it into a new category these days.
The reason I no longer carry my 25/06 is because of the need for a longer barrel and I don't do that anymore. I suspect the .264 is the same. 22" is maximum for me .
If I wanted a 6.5 , I would choose the .264 Win overall the others, we have killed bill elk side by side with the .270 and is equivalent, imo.Good chambering.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

It's pretty amazing what a 140 VLD @ 3100-3200 will do when pushed along with modern powders...………..

Not much recoil either.

Lefty C

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one made by Kenny Jarrett which developed loads for. It shoot bug holes as long as I do my part.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
How will the 6.5x300 Weatherby compare?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6

Of course there is no definition of obsolete that would satisfy many at the fire, but I hold that the .264 Winchester Magnum is still one of the finest long range options out there for Western Game.

Some of the finest hunters I know carry nothing else in the field for Moose, Deer, Bear, Elk, Goats, Sheep, and Antelope. And any of the various 264's would kill the same range of game.

I own one - a 24" M70 Featherweight - and hunt it. It's a good cartridge. It would be better with a default 1:8" twist, but the 1:9" is OK. In a vacuum I'd rather have a 6.5mm short magnum (any of the three would do), but right now they're poorly supported while the .264WM is well supported. So I convert the cases to headspace on the shoulder with the first firing and call it good.

The 26 Nosler is well designed, but really has ultra-magnum capacity and wants a slow Retumbo-like powder that doesn't exist to make best use of it with 160 Weldcores (which is all I would consider shooting in it). It ends up with a lot of empty space with most non-50BMG powders and heavy bullets.

I'd call the .264WM a niche round. If it does get obsoleted by a superior non-belted short or long action magnum with good support, I'll be happy the world has made something I've wanted for a while and buy the replacement.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by vapodog

I've owned two M-70 rifles in .264 Mag and liked them both except I just am not a long barrel fan....26 " barrels don't fit in my gun cabinet.....I even bobbed my .300 H&H from 26" to 24" to make it a tad easier to carry without snagging every branch in the mountains. My current model is a custom I produced and it sports a 23" barrel......and it's a lot happier in my gun rack than the older 26" model was.

I much prefer it over the .257 Weatherby rifles I've owned for it's ability to handle heavier bullets and with 100 grain TTSX, it shoots very well

In truth, I have never done anything with it that I couldn't have done with my .25-06 or my 270 Winchester....but it's not for sale....at least not yet.

I'm glad this old post was brought forward.

I love reading BobinNH. He always made sense and had a dry sense of humor.

I miss that guy as do many here.

RIP, Bob.

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
David,

Hi John,

How temp-stable is Ramshot Magnum

Thanks

It's OK but not great. The numbers Mule Deer gave you are about the best you're likely to see for temp stability with it. Some loads won't be as good.

As is always the case, you can make any powder more stable by choosing your charge weight on a velocity node, and make it worse by choosing on an anti-node.

Retumbo is much, much better for similar applications in terms of stability. If Retumbo's too slow burning for what you want to do, RL-23 is the next faster highly temp stable option.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I miss Bob too!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by vapodog

I'm glad this old post was brought forward.

I love reading BobinNH. He always made sense and had a dry sense of humor.

I miss that guy as do many here.

RIP, Bob.

DF

The man is certainly missed. RIP Bob.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Llama Bob,

How do you test for temperature stability?

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Given a choice, with a thermal chamber at the range. Use the chamber to force the rounds to the right temp, wait for them to stabilize, and fire with a chrono. A small freezer and a thermometer isn't a bad alternative.

With respect to temp testing, I will say that lots of people have done it, and no one gets the same results as anyone else. However, I've seen enough data to become convinced that the ADI/Hodgdon series with Varget, H3450 and Retumbo, plus the Alliant RL-23/RL-16/ARCOMP series are the most temp stable powders available.

The particulars of the load used for testing seem to matter a lot, and I suspect that's why no one's data agrees. As far as I can tell, it boils down to loads being on a velocity node or not. If they're on a node, everything is more stable. If they're on an anti-node, everything is worse. When the charge weights are chosen without respect to a velocity ladder, the results are all over the place. Hotter primers also reduce temp sensitivity. I use Federal 215s on everything for that reason - they're the second highest brisance large primer you can get behind 215 Match and I've had a hard time finding 215 Match reliably.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 04/16/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So what sort of temperature range are you testing? It sounds like you are heating/cooling the ammunition, and not the test barrel.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pretty much use cci magnum primers in all me loads now.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Angus,

That was something else I was going to bring up concerning Bob's post. When I have visited the Federal primer-making facility, they've emphasized that Federal Match primers are exactly the same as the equivalent non-match primers in every way--except consistency. The F215M's are not hotter than F215's. (Have also visited the CCI primer factory, and they say the same thing about their standard and "benchrest" primers.)

Also, though 215's were the hottest American primer made when they appeared, CCI switched to a hotter priming compound for their magnum primers in the early 1990's, and claimed they were then hotter than 215's. But one thing I've noticed is that most primer manufacturers don't announce changes in their already-produced primers, I would guess because they want handloaders to feel confident they're getting the same product.

I know there have been three different versions of the CCI 450, their small-rifle magnum primer, since it was introduced in the 1960's. The first used the same amount and type of priming compound used in CCI 400's, but had a thicker cup to withstand the higher pressure of cartridges being introduced then, primarily the .223 Remington. The next version used more of the same priming compound, to better ignite some powders, especially sphericals. The version now made was changed, like 250's, in the early 1990's to a hotter priming compound.

I also switched from F215's (both standard and match) to CCI's a few years ago, because Federal primers became so scarce during the Obama panic. If anything, many of my loads improved in accuracy when I switched from F215's (both versions) to CCI 250's, and most loads also gained a little velocity, indicating the 250's are indeed a little hotter than 215's. But as noted, often primer manufacturers make changes without making a public announcement. (Will also note that Federal also makes an even hotter magnum primer, the 216, for extra-large cases such as the .470 Nitro Express. But they don't sell them to handloaders. I have some, given to me by a piezo lab during one of my visits years ago.)

Will also note that even pressure-lab techs will disagree on primer performance. I known two guys in charge of BIG labs for decades, one for a powder company and one for a bullet/ammo company. They have different preferences in rifle primers, one preferring Winchester and CCI, the other Federal.

There are also quite a few shooters who prefer rifle primers made in Europe, claiming they're more consistent. In fact I switched 2-3 years ago from American small-rifle primers in my 6mm PPC benchrest rifle, because Sellier & Bellot primers provided a small but noticeable edge in accuracy.

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
So what sort of temperature range are you testing? It sounds like you are heating/cooling the ammunition, and not the test barrel.

Last time I did it, I did 140F down to -20F. The high top temp was to simulate solar heating of a black rifle in the sun. I figured below -20, I'm not hunting.

I only forced the ammo temp, not the rifle. The rounds were quickly moved to the rifle and fired, and I'm comfortable that rounds ignited with the powder temp very close to the target temp. My working assumption is that powder (and maybe primer?) temp is all that matters, and barrel/action temp is irrelevant. In my experiences hot chamber/barrel caused by long strings of fire don't seem to increase velocity unless rounds sit in the chamber for a while which appears to support the "ammo only" approach as long as you hustle.

Plus I've got no hope of borrowing a thermal chamber that will hold a rifle fun as it would be.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Interesting note on the primer thing. I don't have a way to test it - I just have to believe what people tell me.

My understanding is that 215 Match is the same as 215, just with the best guys on the line making them. However, the tests I've seen say that results in a little more priming compound on average and just looking at them that seems to be true.

Of course the possibility that things change is omnipresent...

The only publicly available info I'm aware of is
http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

His results seem to suggest the 215 and 215 match not being the same on average as well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks.

My experience is that the temperature of the rifle does affect velocity. I have tested ammo both ways, by heating.cooling the ammo only, and by firing in outdoor conditions from below zero to 100F, with the ammo often heated a little more by "greenhousing" it in a clear plastic bag. Sometimes frozen ammo works about like it does in actual cold, but more often it doesn't.

Might also comment that I've tested many other powders that you didn't list. Even some supposedly temperature sensitive powders will often perform very consistently in cold in specific applications, and sometimes some supposedly temperature-insensitive powders won't. Have discussed this with some experienced lab ballisticians, and they have experienced the same things. The guy at Hodgdon says the Extremes work best with a full case, and the right primer for the case, which doesn't necessarily have to be a magnum primer. But have also gotten very good cold results from Ia compressed load of MR4350 in the .375 H&H and 300-grain bullets, as good as any with Extreme powders.

Have also gotten result similar to the Extremes with the IMR Enduron line from 4166 to 8133. One other powder that so far has performed very coinsistently in subzero cold in cartridges from the .243 Winchester to 9.3x62 is Ramshot Big Game, in cartridges under about 55 grains in capacity with standard primers, and with magnum primers in larger ones. Ramshot TAC also works very well in specific rounds, such as the .223 Remington and .308 Winchester, which isn't surprising since it was originally designed as a military powder for the 5.56x45 and 7.62x51. Taken outside that "comfort zone," however, and it sometimes doesn't perform as consistently in cold.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have seen that primer test before. Don't know what it proves, any more than photos of the flame.

An independent ballistic lab test done in the 1990's ranked both the standard WLR and WLR Magnum primers as hotter than either of the 215's and the CCI 250, according to both pressure and velocity. However, it was only performed with one cartridge, powder and bullet, and the company freely admitted results might be different with other combinations. The same company also often found a measurable difference in the "same" primers from different manufacturing lots.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
264WM ballistics are as effective as ever. Better than ever with modern bullets and powders.

I believe the 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC are going to be the way forward for the commercial side of the house. Those three cover the 6.5 pretty well.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks.

My experience is that the temperature of the rifle does affect velocity. I have tested ammo both ways, by heating.cooling the ammo only, and by firing in outdoor conditions from below zero to 100F, with the ammo often heated a little more by "greenhousing" it in a clear plastic bag. Sometimes frozen ammo works about like it does in actual cold, but more often it doesn't.

This would require quite a bit of explanation before I'd buy it. The working theory is that powder burns differently depending on its start temperature. Possibly the primer explodes differently too. If changing the temp of the rifle chamber or barrel mattered, an entirely new physical theory of what's happening would be required and not much is coming to mind. Maybe the bore contracting in the cold?!? I did a little math on that, and I believe going from the hottest to the coldest possible "cold bore" barrel temp only changes the bore diameter a couple ten thousandths, so that's hard to believe.

I'm not saying it's not interesting, but absent a physical theory of what's going on I suspect error/testing difficulties.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Better than ever with modern bullets and powders.

Yes, Retumbo and the 160gr PP Weldcore radically expanded the .264s capabilities. The various low drag 130-140ish bullets are interesting too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Thanks.

This would require quite a bit of explanation before I'd buy it. The working theory is that powder burns differently depending on its start temperature. Possibly the primer explodes differently too. If changing the temp of the rifle chamber or barrel mattered, an entirely new physical theory of what's happening would be required and not much is coming to mind. Maybe the bore contracting in the cold?!? I did a little math on that, and I believe going from the hottest to the coldest possible "cold bore" barrel temp only changes the bore diameter a couple ten thousandths, so that's hard to believe.

I'm not saying it's not interesting, but absent a physical theory of what's going on I suspect error/testing difficulties.

Maybe poster denton will chime in on this topic. He has studied the effect of barrel temperature.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
.264 is a great bullet and long live the 264 Win.Mag. ! i own some of the other 6.5 too`s but i kinda think the future might have another answer yet too ? not sure but i am going to check it out 25 Creedmoor with the 7 1/2 twist barrel real soon ,131 gr, Black Jack bullets in 25 caliber ? i know my 257 Weatherby Mags preform well on deer and antelope out to 600 yards for many years, as i would bet a 264 Win.Mag. has for many hunters too for many years.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
In the April Handloader, Terry Weiland's article "In Defense of Belts" loses track of the title's stated subject, and decries 6.5 MM's in general, and the new 26 Nosler in particular, despite not having any experience with it, and says the .264 Winchester Magnum is obsolete.

If you have one of these pieces of junk laying around and want to offload it fast PM me.

I suggest to never read anything by him again. He is obviously just trying to stir the pot so somebody will mention his name. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is obsolete.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Have heard two theories, both from various industry professionals, one about bore dimensions in real cold. The other is that the instant a warm bolt-face touches the very thin cup of a primer, it changes the way the primer ignites slightly, since the priming compound contacts the cup.

I tend to believe "field" results, shot with everything at the same temperature as they would be when actually hunting, over simulated lab results--which is why I started testing handloads in actual environmental conditions in the early 1990's. One thing that tends to confirm the field results is that POI of the loads that don't chronograph the same can vary. Not always, but that often depends on the rifle, not the velocity. Many rifles do not change POI at 100 yards even when muzzle velocity varies 100-150 fps, but others do. As is demonstrated when working up handloads with various powder charges.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Terry is a good writer, I enjoy his stuff.

Being controversial is no stranger to that business. After all, here we are talking about him, using his name.

Col. Charlie Askins was a master at that. It worked, he got people talking, sold copy. And lived fairly large in San Antonio.

Terry is selling copy and books, laughing all the way to the bank.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/17/19.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks.

Our smokeless powder are progressive powders, which means they burn faster and hotter at higher pressures, which promotes even higher pressure.

Yet there is only a finite amount of energy in a powder charge. A certain part of which goes to heat barrel steel. More energy is consumed by cold steel than by warm steel. And the loss of energy to cold steel slows the progressive nature of the powder burn.

That is the theory of the mechanism by which a cold barrel reduces chamber pressure and muzzle velocity. Denton has shared with us on a couple of occasions data derived from actual shooting which supports such theory.

Personally, I have seen approximately 250 fps difference between the first shot from a cold bore and the third shot as the barrel heats in a 26 inch Model 70 Classic sporter in 264 using 140 gr partitions in combination with RL 25 (early production). The fast loads were accompanied by blown primers and case heads expanded so much they would not fit into the shellholder on the reloading press.

I recorded, the same data on two different days with this load. Shot #1 safe and sane at near 3100 fps, second hitting 3200 fps, and third exceeding 3300 fps.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Personally, I have seen approximately 250 fps difference between the first shot from a cold bore and the third shot as the barrel heats in a 26 inch Model 70 Classic sporter in 264 using 140 gr partitions in combination with RL 25 (early production). The fast loads were accompanied by blown primers and case heads expanded so much they would not fit into the shellholder on the reloading press.

I recorded, the same data on two different days with this load. Shot #1 safe and sane at near 3100 fps, second hitting 3200 fps, and third exceeding 3300 fps.

Never heard or seen anything like that. Even shooting high intensity cartridges in pencil-thin barrels in warm weather. But I guess one never stops learning.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by chamois
[quote=Idaho_Shooter]
Never heard or seen anything like that.

Yeah, me neither. The big reason I do my own ballistics work is that so much of what's out there is simply wrong, or more to the point observations are assigned to the wrong causes.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by chamois
[quote=Idaho_Shooter]
Never heard or seen anything like that.

Yeah, me neither. The big reason I do my own ballistics work is that so much of what's out there is simply wrong, or more to the point observations are assigned to the wrong causes.

It was kind of a worst case scenario. There were many reports of early production RL 25 being really spikey. And the 140 partition has a very long bearing surface with a rigid copper mantle in the middle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Rl-25 and RL-26 both seem to be less than ideal in that respect.

I'm still going to say that in order to change the powder burn, you have to heat or cool the powder or possibly primer not the barrel/action. There is some conduction from the barrel/action to the case, but for that to happen the round sit in the chamber for a while.

Similarly, barrel heading is done with waste heat after the burn. What happens to that heat has no impact on velocity.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 04/18/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I found a Hawkeye, I resisted my compulsive tendency because it had a 24 inch barrel.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a friend that has been using an old BDL .264 Mag since the late 70's. He rarely shoots more than a box a year, maybe less. He never hunts where he doesn't have to shoot over 300yds, mostly its under 100. Back in the mid-80s, I worked him up an accurate load with the Speer 140 going (by the book's data, no chrono) right at 3000fps ( .270 territory) he killed deer/hogs with them. I moved off and afterward another friend loaded the Nosler 140 Partition for him ( same speed) . Now he just uses factory ammo. His barrel is 24", of course, and if a 26" made a difference in his conditions, I don't think any of us could tell it, ha. I'm thinking its only beyond 500 yds or so it would come into its own. Most deer leases in East, Texas don't have those kinds of terrain. You might "see that far" down a pipeline ROW, etc, but its either brushy or otherwise unsafe to fling one down there. Even here in Utah, sure, some places you can strain a rifle barrel, but no real need to. For instance, even the prairie has dips/gullies, etc that can be used to stalk closer. Being a tall man, I never had trouble with a 26" barrel and 22" feels like a carbine to me, ha. 24" is a good compromise for me. My current Mod 700 .270 is a 22", but I wish it were 24", like my .338. I've even had 26" barreled rifles with a 2 1/2 long brake on them! Now that seems long to me.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/19/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I found a Hawkeye, I resisted my compulsive tendency because it had a 24 inch barrel.

Send that info my way.

Last edited by SU35; 04/19/19.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.