Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Decided to upgrade the stove in the hunting cabin. Read lots of good reviews on the Englander NC13 and NC30. While not a "fancy" stove, they are apparently built well (and in the USA) and priced right.

Started searching for a deal, and came across a 2 year-old forum posting where someone mentioned going to the Home Depot website in the Spring, and entering "24202" as your "home store" zipcode, rather than your true zip-code.

Doing this took the price of an Englander NC30 from $899 (Texas price) to $649!!! This stove even sells as high as $1150 (at Ace), so I figured that was a good deal. Didn't do anything for the NC13 price, which was already $649 (and is a much smaller stove).

Shipping is $99 (which isn't too bad for a 425 pound stove). When paying and putting in shipping info, you just put in your regular address and zip-code. It doesn't change the price back to the higher price. Couldn't do "ship to store for free". Wouldn't even allow it at the 24202 zip code (which is Virginia, by the way).

The stove is a little bigger than I need, but the NC13 simply had too small of a firebox, and was going to require lots of labor simply to size the wood to fit it.

BTW, the NC30 is rated to heat 2200 sq ft.

So, saved $250 off of HD's normal price, and $400-$500 off many others' prices. Figured I did ok.....

GB1

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After having owned a few of the EPA low emission 'miracle stoves,' I will never again own anything but a simple, self welded, plate steel box with a door and a pipe, and maybe a internal baffle.

Those new fangled things are finicky, hard to get going, they are great for coating your chimney with creosote if the burning conditions are exactly as prescribed and they cost WAYYYY too much (though it seems you got a deal, especially that shipping cost.) I've never understood how WOOD SMOKE causes pollution anyhow, especially in the country? After having owned three of them, I will never waste my money again.

My ex father in law has the right idea, he still heats with a barrel stove. Talk about putting out some heat!!

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think I have a low emission stove. My neighbors pipes belch smoke when they are burning. I can barely see if i have smoke coming out of mine. You really have to look hard. Might be that i have better wood too.

I've been having downdraft issues lately though. Damn house gets smokey when it starts blowing 30mph +.

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Yeah, this is an "EPA-rated" stove, but it's a non-cat, and will hopefully not need to be stoked every 3 hours like the Vogelzang Boxwood cast-iron stove that had been in the cabin for years before I got it.

Heck, if the EPA gets their way in 2015 (proposed wood stove regs), we'll be lucky to get anything for under $1000....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Looks nice.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whoops that was the wrong vid.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Fisher....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
I think I have a low emission stove. My neighbors pipes belch smoke when they are burning. I can barely see if i have smoke coming out of mine. You really have to look hard. Might be that i have better wood too.

I've been having downdraft issues lately though. Damn house gets smokey when it starts blowing 30mph +.

Mine belches smoke when I first load it, once it burns down a bit, the smoke goes away, unless a green piece found its way in. The one thing nice about the pre-EPA stoves is that if the wood isn't as seasoned as much as it should be, it will still burn without much issue aside from a little smoke. These new EPA stoves will choke off and sit there and smolder without putting out any heat, just alot of smoke.

Originally Posted by fburgtx
Yeah, this is an "EPA-rated" stove, but it's a non-cat, and will hopefully not need to be stoked every 3 hours like the Vogelzang Boxwood cast-iron stove that had been in the cabin for years before I got it.

Heck, if the EPA gets their way in 2015 (proposed wood stove regs), we'll be lucky to get anything for under $1000....

Those Vogelzang Boxwood stoves are crazy, they have so many places air gets into them, they turn cherry red, there is no real way to shut the air off to them. You are right, my buddy has one, two or three hours and there's nothing left of a full load. My lord do they put out some heat though, sometimes TOO much!

I figure after 2015, wood stoves will pretty much be a thing of the past, most folks will say it isn't worth it, and go back to 'taxable' natural gas, oil, and electric. Which is what .gov wants anyhow. Self-sufficiency has become a four letter world in this country.

Last edited by J23; 03/16/14.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How do you get the ashes out?

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by packrat77
How do you get the ashes out?

Out the ash hole. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thats slick, Hunts!

Off the shelf purchase or custom fab?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, Hunts... that looks nice.....You either have REALLY good insulation in that house, or keep it at about 55 degrees inside... there is snow on your roof, and none anywhere else!!
I recently moved, and new home has no woodburner. First time in about 18 years without one.... might be a pellet stove in my future, since my woodcuttin days are over. (Too many 30" red oak lifts back when I was young, dumb, 10 feet tall and bullet proof!)

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
~Mark Twain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fburgtx

If the EPA gets that new reg in place, there WON'T be any wood stove companies left - period..

FWIW, I have to replace ours too and I'm not happy reading J23's post above - it makes me give pause.. My old Kickapoo stove is over 40 years old. I have been researching stoves for over a month and have decided on the Osburn 2400:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-...ge-Over-2000-sqft/Osburn-2400-Wood-Stove

A dealer north of me gave me a good price with blower added and I think this is what I'm going to get.

However, I DO really like this old Kickapoo - the dang thing kicks out heat like there's no tomorrow if I need it. Problem is, it would never pass any inspection when we decide to finally sell this place and move. It would have to either go completely or be replaced by (?)....

Last edited by Redneck; 03/17/14.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Redneck, when you speak of a Kickapoo stove was that a free standing one made in Lafarge, WI?

I had one for several years...I believe it was a BBR model. It heated a 2,200 sq. ft. house. When that house was up for sale the realtor brought a family one day in February when the daytime temps were in the single digits. It was nice and toasty warm in that house with the Kickapoo throwing out heat. The husband took a great interest in the stove, so much so, that in their offer it included the stove. No problem...done deal. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Off topic a bit , I was talking to a liberal who was telling me about how Eglin airbase was polluting the world so bad by burning off some of the reservation land.
I asked her who put the wildfires out 100yrs ago when lightening struck during a bad drought year ? She sat there wondering I guess.
I told "nobody" it burned thousands of acres ,then everything grew back better. And that that cycle went on for thousands of years and we're all still here.
Love me a woodstove.

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/17/14.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Buddy of mine had downdraft issues and before buying 1000 bucks of new pipe.. he bought some kind of fan motor, we cut a hole in the pipe above the stove... no more downdraft, if the day is acting up, flip the motor on. Done.

ONly thing I wished the motor would have an even slower speed than its slowest... as sometimes it needs only a tiny bit of help.. and could run just barely...

Greenies can KMA

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

How long have you had that on top. Wondering how it holds up in prolonged high wind?

Pretty cool idea by the way.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That one has been on 4 years, altho the pic is two years old. The one on my old house is still going strong after maybe 12-14? High winds aren't a problem....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 66 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.