Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
...look them over real carefully

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=398998980

I had a chance to buy a 3" about 10 years ago, for about $1k. I goofed, not buying it. frown blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HOLY CRAP

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't give 7 grand for a halve dozen Pythons, one of the most over rated pistols Colt has ever made.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are all over rated IMHO

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well Known fact. Do not ever, ever, ever buy a 3" Python with out a letter from Colt.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many people have one they assumed to be 2 1/2", but is actually a 3". smirk

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I wonder how many people have one they assumed to be 2 1/2", but is actually a 3". smirk

Now don't be thinking about screwing some widow out of a 3".Ha! Ha!

Changes are rare, just like the 3".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boococky
They are all over rated IMHO

You sure got that right!! I will never own a Colt firearm of any sort.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

And they couldn't even take the time to run a brush through the cylinder...

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Python's are fine revolvers, but they are big collector's pieces now days which takes them out of the realm of what I consider practical. The bad part about it, they are not "rare" by any means. Any day of the week, you can find 50 or more for sale. To me it's like an artificial market.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Python's are fine revolvers, but they are big collector's pieces now days which takes them out of the realm of what I consider practical. The bad part about it, they are not "rare" by any means. Any day of the week, you can find 50 or more for sale. To me it's like an artificial market.

3" are rare by any means. They did not make many. Mfg. for Lew Horton with a K prefix. Demand 50 to 100% more.

If you know what you are doing the Colt market will produce great returns honestly. Just review the comments on this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby

3" are rare by any means. They did not make many. Mfg. for Lew Horton with a K prefix. Demand 50 to 100% more.

If you know what you are doing the Colt market will produce great returns honestly. Just review the comments on this thread.

Sorry, I was speaking in general about Pythons; not about the 3". Any barrel length and they're typically well over priced. They're just not worth the money they bring...and I'm a Colt DA revolver fan.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby

Sorry, I was speaking in general about Pythons; not about the 3". Any barrel length and they're typically well over priced. They're just not worth the money they bring...and I'm a Colt DA revolver fan.

I know. But long ago when I was buying the Pythons simply because of the way they felt, looked and shot and Smith did not have the "L" frame out yet. I am one of the fortunate (because I have never sold a gun) I do appreciate them. They are over priced and I love it.

But on the other side of the coin. I always looked past the Diamondbacks to buy a good K22 or K38. They are better shooters but the Diamondbacks would have been a better investment. I am not fretting it too much since the Masterpieces are fine guns.

Kevin-- I know you like to shoot handguns at long ranges. Well in .357 using heavy bullets ie; 170, 180, the 1 and 16 twist shoots them better than the Smiths in my experience.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first Python had a 2.5" barrel. I bought it in 1966 for $50; that price included a pistol rug and 6 rounds of ammo. The Python was in almost new condition, only lacking the box. I traded it in on a M21 Winchester 16 ga., and offered to buy the Python back for $125. The dealer accepted, but then, for reasons unknown to me, I declined. Oh, well...

But then a little later I bought a M42 Winchester for $25.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 4" model Python in the late 80's; it had some finish wear, but timed and shot very well. I wasn't shy about loading it heavy, either, with 125gr JHP's and Blue Dot (not now recommended) but it seemed to take the loads in stride. I think I paid about $400 for it. The same gun now would probably be at least $1k, and maybe more frown

I'm not sure they were of the same quality by the 1980's, that they were in the 60's and 70's. In their prime, they unquestionably were beautiful guns, with gorgeous finishing, elegant design, smooth actions, and excellent accuracy. The design unquestionably influenced the styling of other guns, like Dan Wesson, and the full-lug Smiths. Besides the unique action, there were stories about the barrels being slightly tapered, from cylinder to muzzle, which was said to enhance accuracy. I never owned a 6 or 8" model, so I really could not compare its accuracy to my S&W's, or to a Dan Wesson.

Ayoob reported he'd heard of them breaking lockwork, in gunfights, when the owner was firing DA as fast as he could, putting a lot of stress on the action. Also, it's not easy to find good grips for them, IME.

If I could find a 6" under $1k, in good mechanical shape, it would be interesting to try it for accuracy. And if I lucked into a mint early gun at a good price, I'd sure keep it for investment's sake, but otherwise, yeah I agree with folks they are over-priced for what they are. You can buy a damn nice N frame for a lot less than a Python.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[Linked Image]

I like Colt firearms and I also think they are very elegant.
Pictures are always nice in a thread.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Smith Model 27 is a much better handgun . The first Python i purchased was a Nickel 4 inch in the late 60's or early 70's cost me 75.00 . I have owned around a dozen or more over the years and someone wanted them more than i did. The only pistols i owned and i have truly regretted selling was a couple of 5 inch Model 27 Smiths .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I had a chance to buy a 3" about 10 years ago, for about $1k. I goofed, not buying it. frown blush
Holy crap! I'm sitting on a fortune. grin

Not selling it, though. Kinda like it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Holy crap! I'm sitting on a fortune. grin

Not selling it, though. Kinda like it.

[Linked Image]

I think yours is the 2 1/2" model - not common, either, but not the 3"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I think yours is the 2 1/2" model - not common, either, but not the 3"
Yep, 2 1/2." I think that qualifies as a short barrel. But, you're right. Not nearly as rare as a three incher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,193 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.