Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Have wanted a 270 WBY Mag for some time now, I was planning to built one as a BackCountry clone but ended up selling the donor. I know never shoot the donor, anyway I came across a local dealer with great deals on a few Weatherbys.

My decision is between 2 new guns, the 270 WBY MAG in the Fibermark 8 lbs but reals fine or spend $300 more for a 6.75 lb Ultralight?

Have had several new Weatherby's that shot fine but have not had either of these two models. Any input?

Ted
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I know before anyone says it....if the 270 is gay is this magnum gay?

Now that is over with smile

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a plain gay .270 in an ultralight and preferred that stock over my Fibermark stock. I would lean towards the Ultra Lightweight stock.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a SACO SS Mark V 270 bee #2 contour 26" barrel with a synthetic stock which shoots factory 150 grain ammo . There is no way shape or form I part with it. I prefer the heavier version everyone I have owned has been a shooter , ridiculously consistent. I have been thinking of restocking it, putting it in a B&C Fibermark stock or in a Mcmillan .

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 03/17/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a first year of production Ultra Lightweight in .30-06. Great pointability, great trigger, easy to carry, tough to shoot well. She sits in the safe now and I carry a Tikka Zt3 Lite SS instead.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had 2 Super big game masters

Sold them both

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own both an Ultra Lightweight in .280 Rem and a Fibermark in .375 H&H. The stock on the Fibermark is beyond garbage, as it has no bedding block or reinforcement in the forearm. It's the flimsiest, whipiest POS I've ever seen for a fiberglass stock. I promptly dumped it and added a McMillan.

I'd go Ultra Lightweight between the two, unless you like the extra weight. In that case, plan to replace the stock.

Chris
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had an ultralight in 300 Weatherby. Nice to carry but I got occasional unexplained flyers. Sent back to Weatherby and they said it was ok. Talked to an engineer where he said send it back again. I also learned that Weatherby does not have their own range and they load up all their range testing guns and drive to a range once a week on Thursday. After a month or so they sent me a new replacement. Weatherby would not tell me what was wrong with the one I sent them. I sold it unfired and bought a Win Model 70 in 300 WSM, pitched the tupperware stock and put it in an MPI. 1/4 pound heavier but no more flyers and way cheaper. I also eliminated the stuck bolt caused by ice freezing in the flutes in the Weatherby bolt that occurred on a sheep hunt. Would you by a vehicle from a manufacturer that did not own their own test track?

Last edited by bobmn; 03/18/14.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bobmn
Had an ultralight in 300 Weatherby. Nice to carry but I got occasional unexplained flyers. Sent back to Weatherby and they said it was ok. Talked to an engineer where he said send it back again. I also learned that Weatherby does not have their own range and they load up all their range testing guns and drive to a range once a week on Thursday. After a month or so they sent me a new replacement. Weatherby would not tell me what was wrong with the one I sent them. I sold it unfired and bought a Win Model 70 in 300 WSM, pitched the tupperware stock and put it in an MPI. 1/4 pound heavier but no more flyers and way cheaper. I also eliminated the stuck bolt caused by ice freezing in the flutes in the Weatherby bolt that occurred on a sheep hunt. Would you by a vehicle from a manufacturer that did not own their own test track?

YOU know that other manufacturers have their own range ? Kimber makes their rifles in Yonkers NY...any gun ranges in Westchester county? They replaced your gun try getting that from Remington,Winchester or even Beretta.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by bobmn

YOU know that other manufacturers have their own range ? Kimber makes their rifles in Yonkers NY...any gun ranges in Westchester county? They replaced your gun try getting that from Remington,Winchester or even Beretta.

+1. As well, I'd put Weatherby's customer service up there with the best of them.

Last edited by richardca99; 03/18/14.

Chris
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Fibermark at least the one B&C makes for Weatherby is not all that great feeling compared to the original Mcmillan made Fibermark stock. I wonder if the medalist version is stiffer then that or if it is better just to get the Mcmillan and be done with it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Medalist is much stiffer. It's actually a very nice stock for the money.

Chris
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I own an Ultralight in 280 Rem. It took three of them before I found one that would shoot. I'm not letting go of this one.

The stock was way too heavy on my Fibermark so I replaced it with lighter.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had four Ultra Lights and they were all tack drivers. Wish I had a couple of them back.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I have ultra lightweight .270 Winchester from first year they were made. It is a tack driver now but took a little work to get it there. Main thing for me was getting stock screws properly torqued after talking to people at Weatherby.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.