Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bayou Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello everyone, first post on the site but have be reading for awhile and I've purchased a new rifle for upcoming plains game hunt in RSA. I bought a Tikka hunter in 30'06 to take along and I need glass. I looked at the VX1 and the VX2 3x930 last week at Bass Pro and could not tell the difference between the two optically except for the eyepiece focusing. I only looked at them from within the store and that alone probably didn't help much. I'm 35 and could probably use glasses but no quite there yet. What's the opinion between the two. I also checked out the Zeiss Terrapin and to me the Leupold looked better as in the eyebox/relief. By all means no expert but just my newby observation. Thanks

Last edited by Bayou; 03/23/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are correct about the Leupold compared to the Terra. Better eye relief/eyebox. No doubt about it, IMO. Terra is also noticeably heavier.

As for VX-1 vs. VX-2 I own 3 of each of the newer models. Both are great scopes. FF eyepiece and Diamondcoat on VX2. VX-2 may be a tad, and IMO a very small amount brighter, but not by much. Variances in individual scopes/glass could even make some VX-1s look as good or better IMO. It's that close, to my eyes anyway....

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The new VX line is great. The main difference in the VX-1 and the VX-2 is the coatings. VX-1 has the older (but still good) Multicoat 4 lens coatings. The VX-2 uses the new Index Matched lens coatings.

The VX-2 will have more defined edges. And should give a few more minutes of light at dawn/dusk. Not to say the VX-1 wont take someone well past legal shooting hours...

Also, the CDS system is available in the VX-2, not the VX-1...allthough it can be adapted at their custom shop as-such.

Aditionally, the VX-2 has fast-focus eyepiece.

All-in-all, they're both excellent scopes. The VX-1 is a heck of a bargin for most hunting situations. You cant go wrong with either, IMO.

(disclaimer: I did use the Leupold website to get the proper 'terms' for their products/processes)

Last edited by Pahntr760; 03/23/14.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Both are pretty good. A couple of years ago the VX lineup was upgraded. Todays VX-1's are essentially older VX-2's and the new VX-2's are essentially older VX-3's. I've not tried the new Terra, but do have a couple of older Zeiss scopes, a Conquest and Diavari. The VX-2 is 95-99% as good and a LOT less expensive, lighter, and with more eye relief. I cannot imagine ever actually needing more scope than a current VX-2.

My experience with the VX-1 is limited to a 1-4X20 scope so it is hard to make a fair comparison to the 3-9X40 VX-2 I own. I'd spend the extra $100 for the VX-2. I probably don't need to, but even at $300 I think the current VX-2's are a bargain.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would bet the average Joe could not discern a VX-1 from a VX-2 of same size/power simply by looking through it. 1-4x20, 2-7x33, and 3-9x40 are VERY comparable, glass wise. The VX-2 has Diamondcoat, VX-1 does not. It may increase scratch resistance, but not so sure about light transmission, or how much. I can't see much difference, if any, in some of them...

IC B2

B
Bayou Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Is there an advantage in the eyepiece focusing or a preference between the two?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would also look into the Redfield Revolution it's made on the same production line and falls between the VX-1 and VX-2 optically(according to what a Leupold tech told me) for less $$...the Leupolds DO have a better looking finish on the outside though IMO...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I would also look into the Redfield Revolution it's made on the same production line and falls between the VX-1 and VX-2 optically

I have never heard anyone say this. MOF, it seems to be commom knowledge that the VX-1 has better glass than the Redfield.

I have owned more than one of each, and IMO the VX-1 definitely has better glass........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bayou
Is there an advantage in the eyepiece focusing or a preference between the two?

The FF on the VX-2 is a nice feature, and does focus faster, but not needed IMO. Either one is fine with me, but some definitely seem to like it.......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having owned a Redfield Revolution, it doesn't fall inbetween the VX-1 and VX-2. The VX-1 has better glass.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Having owned a Redfield Revolution, it doesn't fall inbetween the VX-1 and VX-2. The VX-1 has better glass.

BIL asked me to sight in a new (to him) A-Bolt 7mag with a new 3-9 RR scope. I was not impressed with the scope. It did not seem solidly built but it got the job done.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would also look into the Redfield Revolution it's made on the same production line and falls between the VX-1 and VX-2 optically(according to what a Leupold tech told me) for less $$...the Leupolds DO have a better looking finish on the outside though IMO...

The Redfeild essentially took the place of the Rifleman line. It's beneath the VX-1.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years back, I spent quite a few hours looking through three 2-7x33's in a VX-I, VX-II and Redfield Revolution. At that time....the Redfield did indeed fall in between the VX-I and VX-II in regards to optical quality. To my eyes it was actually much closer to the VX-II than the VX-I.
I have not looked through either of the newest versions yet but from what I've read, that would put the Redfield just a hair under the newer VX-1 in optical quality.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Well that's what I was told, have not compared a RR and a VX-1 side by side...Have mounted a couple of RRs for people and they seemed like solid options to me. One has held up quite well under an 8mm Gibbs for several years now.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bayou- you sound exactly like me if we rewind the clock some years. I remember being at BP back then looking at a Vx1 and 2 equivalents though current models are improved. Did not see, so did not understand, the difference and bought the VX1. I ended up regretting it. Simple rule of optics is to buy the best you can afford. It tends to be worth it......at least up to a point of reason.

BTW - just search on VX2 here and other optics forums. You will find overwhelming praise for the value these scopes provide from people who have used a lot of different scopes. Well worth it in my book.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Bayou Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well I'm gonna go with the V2, just have to figure on the regular duplex or wide. I've looked through both and I kind of like the wide duplex but the regular duplex does focus/center my eyes quicker. The V2 is $60 more so it wont break the bank but if the V2 isn't in stock and the V1 is it will be a easy decision.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.