Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My Ruger African likes the 250 grain Nosler Accubonds over Mule Deers recommended dose of RL-15. No experience on African game.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's some A-Frames that I recovered from buffalo, which are the so far only thing I've found that would stop them. They do seem to swat smaller animals fairly hard.I've have a 180 grain Partition fired out of a .300 Win stop in a little whitetail buck but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Penetration isn't everything, all of the time or we'd all be shooting solids all the time. Theres a lot of "ordinary hunting" that is quite well served with "ordinary bullets".

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Model70Guy; 03/30/14.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Hard to beat an A-Frame on African game.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ingwe, there is a 22 Nosler partition.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rogn
Ingwe, there is a 22 Nosler partition.

Yeah, I know, and Im a huge NPT fan, but could not get the accuracy I wanted out of the 60 grainer. I wish Swift made a .22 cal A-frame! grin

Meanwhile, in the little guns, it Barnes TTSX all the way.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive got a box of Nosler 64gr ABs I need to try, I don't love the ABs, but they do sometimes fit. The TSX 224s have been accurate in the guns I have.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My 9.3 x 62 shoots both Federal loaded 286 grain A-Frames and Nosler loaded 286 Partitions equally well. However, it really shines with Federal 286 Barnes TSX. It doesn't shoot any 250 grain bullet well. Your rifle may vary.

If quick expansion is what you need, select the Partition. For most plains game, the Partition will work just fine. If giraffe, eland or buffalo is also on the menu, the A-Frame or TSX up and solids down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Chui,

Nice looking rifle. What make?

Hey, Your Exhalted Highhness, I've been waiting 4 years for an answer!!!

Is it some kind of secret? South Carolina made Model 70 or something??? smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In the 286 grain flavor, it would be the Partition for penetration, and the AFrame for expansion. Depends which you value more.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In the 286 grain flavor, it would be the Partition for penetration, and the AFrame for expansion. Depends which you value more.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chui,

Hey, Your Exhalted Highhness, I've been waiting 4 years for an answer!!!

Is it some kind of secret? South Carolina made Model 70 or something??? smile

Patience is a virtue......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To All.

My humble opinion is that the SPEER & NOSLER are both acceptable in the 286 grain loads. - IF it was me, I would try BOTH & pick the brand that seems to work best in a particular rifle.
(IF I'm going to buy factory ammo, rather than reload my own, I buy the 285 grain PRVI PARTIZAN, as MY rifle shoots that load quite well & that brand is about HALF the price of other available factory ammo. - A 285 grain, .366 caliber JSP or SOLID, moving at 2263FPS will efficiently kill any living animal on Earth, given a decent "hit".)

In my treasured Remington Model 760, that Jessie at JES reformatted, BOTH seem to shoot/perform well & about the same.
(Truthfully, I shoot more of my about 290 grain homemade GCCB at about 2100FPS than either factory bullet. = That GCCB works FINE on our often HUGE/TOUGH Russian-feral cross boars, in the South TX brush country.)

Note: I was out hunting hogs on Jack & Dannita W___________'s land about 1400 hours on Christmas Eve. - I met one of their ranchhands, who said, "You may want to ease down into that little gulley up ahead. I saw a HUGE hog near there about 15 minutes ago." - I asked him, "How big??" He said, "Oh, I'd guess about the size of an average-sized Buick."
(Unfortunately, I never saw the big hog but I surely heard him leaving the area for the REALLY thick stuff. = !@#$%! )

yours, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 01/12/19. Reason: addenda/spelling error
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I took a 9.3x62 to South Africa last year. I used the Federal Cape Shock ammo loaded with 286 grain A Frames. Plains game at ranges 40 yds to 200 yds. Fired six cartridges, had six dead animals. Oryx, Waterbuck, Wildebeest, Kudu, Impala and Warthog. I was happy and so was the PH.

I did miss a quick offhand shot at a Bushbuk the last day, but that was not the fault of the cartridge or rifle.

Last edited by WRPape; 01/13/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
WRPape,

CONGRADS on your NICE SHOOTING & EXCELLENT results, too.

Next Year, we are planning for a similar hunt, including a Cape Buff & a leopard, hopefully.

Sincerely, DarlaG & Tex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition for my 9.3x62?

For me it's the Swift A-Frame. It's a great compliment to the Nosler partition....simply bond the front core.....

There is also the North Fork....a swift A-Frame lacking the rear core which is simply not needed.....

But today my choice is going to be Barnes TTSX as my experience, while fairly limited, is quite positive....they just plain work!

There is one thing I can say about Nosler's partition.......I've never read a negative post about them anytime on the shooting forums....this has to be a serious kicker in the decision making process. They are the tried and true bullet of all time.....the others are of the Johnny-come-lately group.....and a mighty fine group they are.

Of the four I have mentioned (and there might be others of equal quality that I haven't tried) I rank them as follows
1. Barnes TTSX
2.. North Fork
3. Swift A-Frame
4. Nosler Partition

The functional difference between any of them in the field just might be a resounding ZERO....but we all have our prejudices.....

The better question is regarding the value of the polymer tips....but that's another issue for another campfire.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Chui,

Jeff, sorry for late late reply...but its an Interarms Mark X that I "modified"

The cheapest gun in the rack, but still a favorite!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Classic lines.

Just returned from DSC and of course went and handled all the big name doubles I could. Saw a matched pair of Holland & Holland and all that came to mind was that the Maltese Falcon was not "the stuff dreams are made of"!

Verney has a super slim 28g S&S that was as handy as a conductor's baton at 4 1/2 pounds.

Also, RIA Auctions had some of Robert Peterson's stuff. The Royal family does have guns like this. Egad, there was there some nice engraving.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep "Pete" had some GREAT firearms!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve had really good luck with the 286 gr PPU in my CZ 550 FS and my Tikka T3 Forest.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep "Pete" had some GREAT firearms!

And automobiles too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.