24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have been waiting since mid-September to be the first kid on my block to try a Milt Sparks Nexus holster. As some of you may have read in my prior posts, I had given up on the Sparks VMII because it generally does not allow my particular gun to get low enough to the belt or provide as much cant as I prefer. I have been carrying a Glock 30SF in a Crossbreed Supertuck that I adjusted to fit my style of carry with an untucked polo shirt. I know that others have suggested a Brommeland, but that�s $85 more than a Sparks and it exceeded the outer limits of my holster experimentation dollars.

The Nexus arrived this morning. It has the usual Sparks good looks and feel. It has the new neodymium magnetic clips that will have to be evaluated over time. I think that Sparks will put the �old style� loops on the holster. I did not specify what I wanted, and I am fine with testing the new style. They certainly make it easier to put the holster on the belt than either the CBST or VMII, and the loops should not damage the belt as much as the chintzy standard Crossbreed clips. The holster included an entire page of warnings on the neodymium magnets, including warnings not to get them near people with pacemakers or near magnetic media and electronic devices. I sure hope that is �lawyerese�, because only a person living in a cave is not around digital media, electronics and people with pacemakers. The page also states that the magnets are brittle and should not be slammed together.

[Linked Image]

The most important things to me are the ride and cant. I would say the Nexus scores high on these points. I have taken pictures of the G30 in 3 holsters, a VMII for a G20 (same frame but .8� longer slide), the Supertuck I have been using for a year, and the new Nexus. Although I could not get the belt position equally level for every picture (you get what you pay for with my photography), it should be pretty obvious that the Nexus is very close to the way I have my Supertuck set up (if not the same). They all allow the user to get a full firing grip with the gun holstered.

VMII
[Linked Image]

CBST
[Linked Image]

Nexus
[Linked Image]

I opted for the smooth outside finish on the Nexus, and it already is as comfortable against the skin as a VMII, and more comfortable than the Supertuck. The Nexus is made with horsehide on the body side and cowhide on the outside. Because it is tailor fit to the gun, it has less extraneous leather, especially at the front bottom of the holster that, with the CBST, can sometimes jam the upper leg when walking or sitting in a car. Most important, the Nexus also passes my �print test� with an untucked polo shirt. There are a couple of other pluses. I suspect that I will get less dust on the gun because the slide is fully covered below the belt. Also important is that it doesn�t squeak like the Supertuck. Fortunately, I do not hang out in libraries or museums much, because walking makes the Supertuck creak. (And, yes, I also tried one in horsehide and had the same result.)

My concerns about the Nexus include the previously mentioned magnetic clips, and the lack of a reinforced opening for one handed holstering. (The lack of the reinforcement does make the holster thinner than the VMII which is helpful when concealing the .45/10mm Glocks.) Those will have to be evaluated over time. As long as the gun is not left unholstered for too long a period, I am thinking that the lack of metal reinforcement will not be an issue. The leather is certainly more stiff than the CBST. Note that a person with a CCW permit may have different needs than a plainclothes police officer in this regard. One concern with the CBST is that it is getting beat up after little more than a year, and the sweat guard is curling which causes me to use considerable care in reholstering. Based on my prior experience with Sparks leather, curling should never be an issue with the Nexus.

Here are pictures of CBST and Nexus without the gun.

[Linked Image]

I will follow-up after in a month or so. I am posting this now because I have not seen a lot written on this holster, and a lot of people have to do mental gymnastics like me before committing dollars and the 4 month wait for the chance to learn 5 minutes after delivery whether or not it will work for them. Hope this helps.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nice! Is that a Mitch Rosen belt?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a really great looking holster & I would imagine it will work out very well.........1st real pics I've seen of it so thanks for posting.

As for the Brommeland, his standard grade is called Service Grade & the list price is $140 or $15 more than a VM2 & $25 more than the Nexus.......you must have been using the Presentation Grade price of $200 for comparison.

The only difference is the finish (though he can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to deal with; Sparks is 2nd to none in that regard).

I have several of the Brommelands, all Service Grade, & I can tell you for sure that it equals or exceeds the finish on any of the Sparks holsters.

The Nexus looks very similar to the Brommelands in position on the belt & cant.

Here's a link to Brommeland with the prices posted:

Brommeland Leather

Here the only pic I have available of one of my Brommelands for comparison to your Nexus. (Sorry, but it's a phone pic)

[Linked Image]

MM

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rub a credit card up near those magnets and see if you think it's lawyerese wink Those are also called rare earth magnets and they'll play heck with the magnetic strips on credit cards.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jwp475, it is a Sparks belt. It actually looks better than the picture, but that part of the belt has taken a beating from the CBST clips and occasional OWB use of one of those factory Glock plastic holsters.

Hound va, I will have to do some experimentation on that point. I can't be walking down the street killing every 10th person and deactivating people's credit cards. Society would not be able to function! An update will follow. As an aside, a few days ago I was standing outside a hospital near a service core that had all the same warnings to keep pacemakers, metal, electronics, media and magnetic things away from the area, and nothing stopped working properly. I don't have a pacemaker, though.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Got my Nexus about 10 days ago and had planned to wear it for a few weeks before posting. Like your comprehensive review. The Nexus I've been using so far is for my 3" Kimber, which I'd been carrying in a MS VM2. I chose the rough out natural option.

The Nexus seems to be a re-thinking of the VM2, with more favorable forward cant (more concealable, comfortable and accessible for me), thinner , and easier to attach and remove from the belt. Fits my double-thick Filson belt better than the standard snap closures on the VM2. One handed tactical re-holster seems easy so far.

Over all impression so far is like yours - a definite improvement of the VM2 concept and worth the wait.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the helpful review, Cheyenne!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Rub a credit card up near those magnets and see if you think it's lawyerese wink Those are also called rare earth magnets and they'll play heck with the magnetic strips on credit cards.

Well, Sparks confirmed via Facebook that it really is just about using common sense:

General rule of thumb is to use common sense. Do not place magnets directly on credit cards, hotel key cards, hard drives, etc. and you should be fine. These items can be erased with even a regular magnet. I have used the Nexus with my wallet placed on the same side and haven't had any issues. The pacemaker issue is real and prolonged direct contact with the magnets should be avoided.
(Emphasis Supplied)

Besides, now I understand why they sell those magnetic bracelets on QVC. I have been wearing this holster for about 12 hours and all of my auras, chakras and meridians appear to be well balanced and harmonious. I guess this holster is life changing! Even former Mayor Bloomberg could use one of these holsters.

If anything gets out of sync, I will be sure to let y�all know.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Update. I have been using this holster for more than a couple of months. It is comfortable and conceals the gun well. No problem with the magnets. In fact, I like that setup and will want those on future holsters. They are said to be interchangeable with the VMII, and I may move them over.

I was concerned that the lack of a reinforced top could be an issue. This has been an issue for me. It does take some force to get the gun back in the holster if the gun has been out for more than a couple of minutes. It may work OK for a person with a CCW or off duty LE who is not going to have the gun out for more than a very short time, or for someone using a gun with a thumb safety or external hammer, but I do not like having to use force to insert a Glock into a holster. Maybe I have been spoiled by the rigidity of the kydex in the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Had I known what I know about the holster now, I may not have purchased it, at least for a Glock. I think that I would prefer a wider holster with some reinforcement at the mouth like the VMII or, perish the thought, a hybrid with kydex at least at the mouth.

YMMV

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good info - thanks for the update.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First, GREAT review. I've been doing some real thinking about that holster. When I build up my next Hi Power, I may have to have one to go with it.

I have a VM II for my Commander, and a Com3 from HBE Specialty Leatherworks for my full size (but I carry my commander in it often because it's my favorite).

Here's why I like it more than the VM II:

1 - The leather is considerably thinner, which makes for a more comfortable carry.
2 - Although mine is smooth on the outside, it's not as smooth as the VM II, so it doesn't move around as much. Next time, I'll forego all the pretty and do a rough outside finish.
3 - The lack of the reinforcement at the top makes a big different in carry comfort, but it does complicate one handed re-holstering if my belt is cinched real tight. It can still be done, but I have to cant the gun way forward and kinda wedge the muzzle in, and the rock the whole thing into position.
4 - It's secure, and a touch faster getting the gun out of leather.

All that said, I'm still a HUGE fan of the VM II, and I still carry it often.

Here's a photo of a Com3 that's similar to mine. Mine is Cordovan color finish with black sharkskin highlights. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
That's a really great looking holster & I would imagine it will work out very well.........1st real pics I've seen of it so thanks for posting.

As for the Brommeland, his standard grade is called Service Grade & the list price is $140 or $15 more than a VM2 & $25 more than the Nexus.......you must have been using the Presentation Grade price of $200 for comparison.

The only difference is the finish (though he can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to deal with; Sparks is 2nd to none in that regard).

I have several of the Brommelands, all Service Grade, & I can tell you for sure that it equals or exceeds the finish on any of the Sparks holsters.

The Nexus looks very similar to the Brommelands in position on the belt & cant.

Here's a link to Brommeland with the prices posted:

Brommeland Leather

Here the only pic I have available of one of my Brommelands for comparison to your Nexus. (Sorry, but it's a phone pic)

[Linked Image]

MM
That's a nice looking, well thought out IWB holster right there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Kevin.

All things being equal, Brommeland is my 1st choice in a leather holster, but as I mentioned, dealing with them can be a bit challenging from time to time.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried a knockoff of a VMII for my Commander, but it's just not the same. Really tried to like it. Buttered it up and rubbed it out with Skidmore's my bud out west sent me. Cupped it. Plied it. Stretched it. Gun in a sock in the holster. Just not happening. Still not as comfortable as a VMII.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old thread but the extra high ride of the VM2 and others like it don't work for me. Trigger guard under the belt works best for me as far as ride height goes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
251 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.