-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought one for just over 200 bucks... Comes with both cylinders ( 22 LR & 22 Mag.). It's in mint condition. Haven't picked it up yet; have to get to the county clerk and get it put on my pistol permit. So are these things any good? Wondering about things like durability, accuracy, etc. Seems like a neat little piece. 4" barrel; trigger feels nice; I bought it because I almost bought one about 20 years ago but it sold before I had the chance to jump on it. Saw this one and it seems to have little use and I figured; here's my second chance. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a H&R Sportsman that is pretty neat. Not too accurate but possibly that could be me...................grin.

I bet you'll like yours. Post up some pics.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought it mainly for occasional plinking and because I've never owned a rimfire revolver but always thought about having one. Plus; I've never owned anything capable of digesting 22WMR so it should be interesting. Gonna find out as soon as I get down to the county clerk and get the paperwork done. If it's not too accurate it may also be me; as I'm not exactly known as a great pistolero.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Just bought one for just over 200 bucks... Comes with both cylinders ( 22 LR & 22 Mag.). It's in mint condition. Haven't picked it up yet; have to get to the county clerk and get it put on my pistol permit. So are these things any good? Wondering about things like durability, accuracy, etc. Seems like a neat little piece. 4" barrel; trigger feels nice; I bought it because I almost bought one about 20 years ago but it sold before I had the chance to jump on it. Saw this one and it seems to have little use and I figured; here's my second chance. Anyone have any experience with one of these?
I've owned several H&R's. I found them good for about anything you want to do with a .22 other than formal target shooting. The consensus is that once they break they are hard to fix. I've never had trouble with one though.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you guys for the feedback. I figured they weren't target pistols or anything really rare and collectible. Just gonna use it for some occasional plinking, might even try squirrel hunting with it (that's a challenge), and certainly not any high volume shooting. Hope it doesn't break, Gun Parts Corp. has a listing for that model but quite a few things are listed as "sold out". So it will become one of my "once in a great while" pieces and therefore should (I hope),remain mint. So if I ever decide to sell it, I could probably get my 200 bucks back.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The 676 is my go to revolver I have only the 22mag cyl ,and it's

all I really need. The cyl is not recessed so I can shoot all

22 rounds from it 22mag,22WRF,22LR,22 long,22CB,22 short.ECT.

The barrel is .224 and the 22mag and 22WRF are .224 and the rest

of the 22 cal rounds are healed cartridges that the lead is

is outside the case so the lead swells to fit the .224 barrel.

All the other 22 rounds are not as accurate as the 22mag or WRF

but definatly work well in it!

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had a day off last Monday and got down to the county clerk and got it added to my permit, ($3.00 fee) and picked it up from the shop. Haven't been to the range yet but hopefully soon. According to my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge; in single action the trigger breaks at 6 lbs, 12 oz. That surprised me, as I had guessed it being lighter. Feels better than 6ish lbs. Probably gonna run mostly 22LR because I still have about 5 bricks worth from the pre-panic days; Only got 100 rds. of 22 mag but it will be interesting to chrono them both to see what kind of difference there is between the two. I know this ain't a target pistol but as long as it's halfway accurate I think I'm gonna like this one.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The only difference between mine and yours is I have the 5&1/2

ince barell which I prefer in all guns except the Ruger Black

hawk 45colt I like it in 4&5/8 barrell. You might want to find

some 22WRF CCI makes it and it won't turn small game into red

balls of dust. For some fun time try what I said about the

non recessed cyl and and the mag cyl and all 22 cal ammo.

See the movie the road or Elia and remember all kinds of 22

ammo might still be around when the SHTF.

Bob

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The only difference between mine and yours is I have the 5&1/2

ince barell which I prefer in all guns except the Ruger Black

hawk 45colt I like it in 4&5/8 barrell. You might want to find

some 22WRF CCI makes it and it won't turn small game into red

balls of dust. For some fun time try what I said about the

non recessed cyl and and the mag cyl and all 22 cal ammo.

See the movie the road or Elia and remember all kinds of 22

ammo might still be around when the SHTF.

Bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
The 676 is my go to revolver I have only the 22mag cyl ,and it's

all I really need. The cyl is not recessed so I can shoot all

22 rounds from it 22mag,22WRF,22LR,22 long,22CB,22 short.ECT.

The barrel is .224 and the 22mag and 22WRF are .224 and the rest

of the 22 cal rounds are healed cartridges that the lead is

is outside the case so the lead swells to fit the .224 barrel.

All the other 22 rounds are not as accurate as the 22mag or WRF

but definatly work well in it!

Bob

Dont you get split cases when firing the 22lr in the mag cylinder?
That is why 22 mag AND 22 LR cylinders are offered in convertable revolvers and not just the magnum cylinder.
Its not just the diameters are slightly different as the Mag case is larger than the LR.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah; that got me wondering if I should just leave the 22 Mag cylinder on it for convemience as long as it's still halfway accurate with 22 LR in the 22 Mag cylinder. I'm in the dark on this one, as I'll admit having no experience with 22 WMR's. Maybe to be on the safe side I'll just run 22 mag's in the 22 mag cylinder, as long as I've got 'em both. I thought the only physical difference was case length. Anything else I should know about 22 WMR's? I'm a real newbie on those.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A big FYI ,the case is larger diameter on the 22 mag and you run the risk of cases splitting and various things blowing back at you,ask me how I know ......I accidentally did it years ago in a Ruger single six convertible ,not that the 22 LR was all that accurate even in the dedicated cylinder but I noticed groups had really opened up and things stung my face a few times .....blown cases ,took a second to figure out it was operator error ,switched things back and all was well blush

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Yeah; that got me wondering if I should just leave the 22 Mag cylinder on it for convemience as long as it's still halfway accurate with 22 LR in the 22 Mag cylinder. I'm in the dark on this one, as I'll admit having no experience with 22 WMR's. Maybe to be on the safe side I'll just run 22 mag's in the 22 mag cylinder, as long as I've got 'em both. I thought the only physical difference was case length. Anything else I should know about 22 WMR's? I'm a real newbie on those.

Use 22 mag in mag cylinder
Use 22 LR in 22 lr Cylinder/
There is a reason it has 2 cylinders instead of just a Mag cylinder to shoot everything.
22 mag case is bigger in diameter and rim.
You CAN do a lot of different things but in this case why?
Case ruptures,inacuracy,harder on the throats.
Use it as it was designed to be used.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.