Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Saddlesore; Here is a link to the castle formations above Mill Creek valley. Jon Bradford, photo credit
http://www.summitpost.org/west-elk-peak/151963
photo was taken from Storm pass. HH

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Folks; One more good link for West Elk information unit 53, unit 54, unit 521 Anthracite Mtn range and Ohio peak.
http://www.summitpost.org/anthracite-range-ohio-peak/153635

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 04/07/14. Reason: typing error
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Foster
saddlesore, can you give an idea of what weather is typically like during the 2nd rifle season in and around these areas

It sure varies all over. A few years ago there was 2+ feet of snow in a blizzard, two years ago, dry as a bone, Tee shirt weather in mid day. I have seen a lot of snow in the first season that restricts hunters getting into the area, then bone dry for 2nd and third seasons.

I'd say bring clothes for cold and snow, but be ready for some lighter gear.

If you are going to be back packing. Bring enough tent to withstand some nasty weather. Ask yourself if you would be prepared to stay in that tent for two days. Especially f your hunting partner is in there with you.

During that blizzard I mentioned, I know two young fellows that were stuck a up at Swampy Pass for three days in their tent and finally had to posthole out thru the deep snow for 6-7, miles.

Sorry I can't be more definitive. I'd say prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Generally there is a little bit of snow at least during the 2nd season.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have tried to go up over Storm Pass in the summer. I found out why they called it Storm Pass.

In the photo of the Castles to the extreme right,a little out of the photo, the ridge extends down and towards the east. We use to camp at a little lake just right around the corner, not far off the ridge.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
foster,

You'll want to prepare for all kinds of weather. We packed out 6 elk and our camp from under the Porcupine Cone in 3 feet of snow that fell overnight. The previous three days were t-shirt weather. This was second season but it could happen in any of the rifle seasons.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hungry Horse,

Nice images. I've stood on most of those summits. The West Elks were once my passion, I still live a couple of hours away but don't get there much, so many places to go in western Colorado.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Foster, bar diamond ranch outfits out of 53 up coal creek and they would be able to pack something out legally. Let me know if you need more info.
Elkhuntr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hunting buddy and I have used Bar Diamond Ranch a couple of times over the past few years and they have been excellent. Dellis and Linda Ferrier are good folks and top notch outfitters. Their knowledge of the trade and of the area is second to none. I highly recommend them.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Folks, One more link to www.summitpost.org for West Elk Information. I am sure many of you will recognize this area and photo. Please see the Geography Box on the left margins to see nearby mountains to this area. I myself find all this information "Priceless", it is like hiking your favorite elk area from your favorite chair at home, until you can get feet on the ground in the West Elks.
Here is the link to Mt Owen and the Ruby range:
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-owen-ruby-range/151957
Once you learn how to use this web site you can go to any state and find almost any mountain range and mountain. I have used it for Washington Montana and Idaho to get a overview of potential elk hunting areas.
The photo (one of many) is Horse Ranch Meadows with the Dyke above, unit 521. For those hunting unit 521, and unit 43 see the Ruby range mountains in the Geography box nearby mountains. HH

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Foster & folks: Found one more that will be useful for unit 53 hunt. Mount Gunnison and photos from Mt Gunnison looking at East and West Beckwiths & Mount Marcellina.
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-gunnison/154805
If you have never been here, this will show you how beautiful and rugged a area this is. If you double click on the photos in Images some will become larger. Enjoy, especially see My Topo map in the Geography Box, a excellent mapping tool, from www.mytopo.com/ If you flip between satellite and topo and terrain map settings, see small box on top right of map, and play with the zoom, you will see and learn a lot. I like terrain setting as well as the others for different reasons. This will show horse trails and forest roads, as well as creeks boundaries and mountains. You just need to find the elk ! : ) HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 04/12/14.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
How would you like to hunt elk and deer here ? : )
http://www.summitpost.org/mt-gunnison-from-the-chain-mountains/325560/c-154805
Pretty good looking location to me. This would be between Paonia and Crawford in the West Elk Wilderness unit 53. Click the photo to enlarge. HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 04/14/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Foster and folks: Here is one more link to a summitpost .org page showing photos of Mt Guero and surrounding mtns. Click the link, then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, see Images at the bottom of the page. There are 7 or 8 photo, click on each one, and click one more time to enlarge them. If you have never seen this area, look and enjoy. Unit 53.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-guero/352858

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nat Geo maps 133 and 134 cover the area well.

NRA Life Member
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biggs300
My hunting buddy and I have used Bar Diamond Ranch a couple of times over the past few years and they have been excellent. Dellis and Linda Ferrier are good folks and top notch outfitters. Their knowledge of the trade and of the area is second to none. I highly recommend them.

Twenty years ago, Dellis Ferrier was driving about 80 horses up the Coal Creek road (USFS road 709) to that ranch at the end of the road, on Robinson Creek. I visited him at his ranch, which is located south of Paonia and east of Hotchkiss. I asked to rent a horse and also asked if he would pack out game. He declined both requests. He offered to do a drop camp or fully guided hunt but not the other services. He said that if he just helped a little bit it would anger his high paying customers, so that's why he declined. I don't know if his policy has changed.

They have to keep their employees busy doing the things that high dollar clients expect. I think it's difficult for them to make a profit on the less expensive services.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by Biggs300

Twenty years ago, Dellis Ferrier was driving about 80 horses up the Coal Creek road (USFS road 709) to that ranch at the end of the road, on Robinson Creek. I visited him at his ranch, which is located south of Paonia and east of Hotchkiss. I asked to rent a horse and also asked if he would pack out game. He declined both requests. He offered to do a drop camp or fully guided hunt but not the other services. He said that if he just helped a little bit it would anger his high paying customers, so that's why he declined. I don't know if his policy has changed.

They have to keep their employees busy doing the things that high dollar clients expect. I think it's difficult for them to make a profit on the less expensive services.

KC

Plus, not all, but a lot of outfitters have dim views of DYI'ers. They figure every DYI hunter means money out of their pocket and a lot of them figure even though it is public land, the area that their permit covers is their on private hunting grounds and DYI hunters detract from their clients success. rate

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most good outfitters will have numerous hunters out in their drop camps or other areas they have available. Some outfitters (I know of three) have limited resources and would find it difficult contract for a pack out only because, they have to honor contracts with their clients that have paid for full hunts. We were turned down for this reason by an outfitter in southern CO just 3 weeks ago. Instead, we opted for a full pack-in and out with retrieval of our game. We're using our own equipment so, it is less expensive than a fully equipped drop camp.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.