Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm looking for a relatively in expensive spotting scope and have narrowed it down to 2 that I like.
The Redfield rampage and the Vortex Diamondback. I want angled 20-60 power. It will be used on the range and in hunting.
Thoughts?

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
expensive spotting scope

Thoughts?

What's expensive to you?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
inexpensive........I have looked at the Rampage in stores and was surprised. Not sure how it would work with glare etc when you get outdoors, but seemed like a pretty nice scope for the money. I have not seen the Vortex but have and have used quite a few of their optics - always a lot of value for the money and great warrantee.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm thinking under $500. side by side indoors looked to me like the Redfield was a bit more clear and that shocked me a bit. thats why I need your help to see what the real world thinks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When trying to get the most for the least, you're better off if you think of buying used. I'd rather have my 20+ year old fixed Leupold 25X than both of the scopes you mention and you can find similar Leupolds for $250ish if you look........

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're unsure and down to two choices... buy both and return the one you don't like. I like spending several days+ with an optic before making a decision. Have done this with binos and spotters. Only buy from those with a good return policy and you should be fine. I've told the retailers/sellers of my plan and have never gotten any complaints.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reno has a vortex for sale In the classified. He's good to go

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not looked at the Redfield, but have used a Theron Saker. It's well below your price and quite a good spotter IMO. For me it bested a Pentax and NikonI was using at the same time that each cost more.

http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/subcat.asp?MfgName=THERON+OPTICS&cid=199&ret_id=1185759

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
When trying to get the most for the least, you're better off if you think of buying used. I'd rather have my 20+ year old fixed Leupold 25X than both of the scopes you mention and you can find similar Leupolds for $250ish if you look........

Yes.

And then save your money and buy a Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss.

If it takes you three years to scrape the coin together to get a good scope, you won't regret it. I'd sell my house before I'd sell my spotter.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM inbound

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 406_SBC

Yes.

And then save your money and buy a Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss.

If it takes you three years to scrape the coin together to get a good scope, you won't regret it. I'd sell my house before I'd sell my spotter.

Travis

Meopta S2 will run with those all day long, and beat the pants off of any Zeiss spotter I've ever seen...about 6 different ones so far. Used Leica's are a joke.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've never used a Meopta S2. I had no idea they were better than a Zeiss. How much do they cost?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Around" $2k. Fantastic stuff, no kidding.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok. Well then I guess we can add that to the list of things the OP could save for. My point is that every "budget" spotter I've looked through was worth about $5.00.

If you consider Zeiss and Leica inferior to a Meopta, they must really be something.

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It was also better to my 53 yr old eyes than my Kowa 884, which is really saying something, because it was better than any Zeiss, Swaro, or Leica I'd ever seen.

The only reason I responded is because of this "everything Z,L,S, makes is the greatest stuff on the planet " BS. That's what it is....BS. Excellent stuff, no doubt, but people need to get in the real world and understand what's going on.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
At least you don't allow yourself to get upset about it...

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
At least you don't allow yourself to get upset about it...

Travis

smile I've probably got a different perspective on things than most, especially lots of people around here. I've got a great family, make a decent living, and am overall a very blessed man. What do I have to be upset about?

On the scale of important things in my life, optics ain't even close.

fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks for the replies. I'm not going to be using it enough to justify spending more than about $500 tops. Even if I save the coin, there are family obligations that would warrant that money going in other directions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.