Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Good evening-

Looking for some insight on a rifle i picked up a little while back. Any help or history would be appreciated. I understand firearms international (DC) did a lot of importing in the 60's. Didnt want to take the base off to see the Mauser Crest, but if thats what it would take....

No other identifying marks other than the crest.
Dual set triggers
Chambered in .264 win mag- can't comment if barrel is original.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Left side of the action
[Linked Image]
Right side
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/...D-4215-9197-8D824C844830_zpsrli3y3j2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FN Mauser action, basically the same thing as a Browning Safari Grade. Most had an aluminum alloy floorplate

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I grew up in the Washington, DC area and used to see ads for firearms and sporting equipment sold by Firearms international, Washington DC. I wanted to visit the company, but could never find it as no address was given, other than a PO box. I even bought a rifle from them (by mail order - it was legal then) to learn the shipping address, but alas, only the PO box was given as a return address.

When ZIP Codes came into being, theirs was listed as 20022 which is in a large warehouse district in NE DC (off New York Avenue). I drove through the area and couldn't figure out where they were. Later I heard that the sporting goods business was a legitimate front for their real owner - the CIA who also supported a number of firearms activities in supplying "things" around the world.

Also located in the DC area was Sam Cummings Interarms Co., also a front used by the same agency. They had a retail outlet (Ye Old Hunter - at the end of Prince Street, Alexandria, VA). I'd go there and see literally piles of Lee Enfields ($19.95), M-1 Garands ($49.95 and up), Johnson Automatic Rifles ($69.95), Mausers ($19.95 and up), etc. They also had 3 Boys anti-tank rifles on the floor (forget price, but it was probably in the range of $100) and 2 Lathi 20mm Anti-tank guns (probably about $500). They also had boxes of loose ammo from which I started a pretty good cartridge collection.

God, do I wish I had bought the guns then that I'm paying a lot for now!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting rifle, and story! The dark wood on the comb almost looks original, and the light wood underneath added. Sure is a high comb!

There may be markings on the bottom of the barrel that would indicate manufacturer and date. It would be interesting to remove the stock and take a look.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Certainly an FN action, but not near identical to the Browning. Floorplate is most likely steel, as this is not the "Supreme" model as evidenced by the bolt sleeve and safety. Interesting with the double set triggers, as not many of these guns came with them. The ejector mechanism is pure Model 98 Mauser; Browning had a significantly different one.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gun was most likely a rebarrel, and was again most likely offered in 7mm Remmy mak-num.

Either way, it sure is nice!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Way Way back in the 1990s there was still a gun shop at the waterfront on Prince street. Interarms, who imported Norinco and Star firearms was just up the street aways on Prince. I visited there once to pick up a jacket that was being offered for people who bought a Star firearm. Aaaaahhhh the good old days.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It appears to be a Firearms International "musketeer", which was the economy grade rifle as opposed to the FN Mauser itself. The rifle used the standard FN Mauser action which preceded the "supreme" action. The primary difference between the two being the bolt sleeve. Browning used the a version of the supreme, however they modified the bolt release. All these actions have the long extractor. The 264 Win Mag was a standard chambering in the "Musketeer" Google "Firearms International Musketeer" and you will find a guns magazine containing an FI advertisement showing the rifle.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As everyone has already said, the rifle uses an FN Deluxe action. Double set triggers were probably an addition as was the cheek piece. Most likely their Musketeer model. Though they did offer them in the 264 Win Mag chambering, yours was rebarreled.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be taking the stock off to clean it up and look for any other markings. Will also be loading up some ammo soon enough and see how she shoots, which is what I'm most interested in. Adding musketeer into the search gave me loads more information.

Not that I will ever sell it as i just find it too neat, and will shoot it often- Any guesses as to the value?

GF1- can you say for certain that any came with double set triggers? I have been looking around the web and haven't see others like it. Thanks

Last edited by robertham1; 04/07/14.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
robert,

That is an interesting rifle, and if I had a chance for it, I'd likely buy it, too. Some years ago, I owned a F.I. Muscateer in .308 Norma Mag. I wish I'd not sold it, but alas, it's gone. frown

F.I. imported rifles on both the FN Deluxe and Supreme actions. And also imported Sako rifles at one time. Somewhere amongst my treasures, I have an early 60's Firearms Intl' catalog.

Great rifles, even today... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Owned one once in a 300 Win. It's one of the few guns I let go, because I was on about a 15 year run of chasing nothing larger that deer. A very well made rifle with full length fiber glass bedding. I too know nothing of the company though.

1Minute
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by robertham1
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be taking the stock off to clean it up and look for any other markings. Will also be loading up some ammo soon enough and see how she shoots, which is what I'm most interested in. Adding musketeer into the search gave me loads more information.

Not that I will ever sell it as i just find it too neat, and will shoot it often- Any guesses as to the value?

GF1- can you say for certain that any came with double set triggers? I have been looking around the web and haven't see others like it. Thanks

I can not, and should have been more clear. My meaning is that if the double set trigger was original it would be very rare. Quite likely that it's been added, though nothing else appears to be changed on the action. Any pix of the bottom metal?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I should be able to get some posted this evening. Any other pictures that would be helpful?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom of the barrel with the stock removed.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by robertham1
Any guesses as to the value?

The rifle is worth what you say it is worth. If you say it is worth $10,000, then that is what it is worth. If you sell it to someone for $600, then you both consider it worth $600. There is no more to it than that.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Really like that set trigger. I have a FI Musketeer that came with a Sako trigger. I'm not thrilled with the high Monte Carlo stock on mine, but it shoots very well.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Right side

Serial number is 4 digits

Last edited by robertham1; 04/07/14.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Really like that set trigger. I have a FI Musketeer that came with a Sako trigger. I'm not thrilled with the high Monte Carlo stock on mine, but it shoots very well.

The set trigger does what it supposed to. VERY light. As high as stock looks it fits pretty well when throwing it up to my shoulder. Pleasantly surprised

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (2500HD, 83mvp, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,246 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.