Campfire Ranger
What is it and what is the ritual involved please? Thank you

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipe out is the schit for copper. Kroil otherwise....

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
kroil? huh never heard of that

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Top secret, G-14 stuff......

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
patchout/wipeout with accelerator works really good for me. Kroil is just a penetrating oil but a lot of guys swear buy it

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wipeout is like shaving cream that sits in the barrel and eats copper. No fuss, no muss. Kroil is an industrial lubricant that cleans like a mofo.
[Linked Image]

I Wipeout, then Kroil, maybe JB, then Kroil again, then denatured alcohol, then forget about cleaning for awhile and sling moly. Some guys hate moly, some love it. Once the moly is laid down and you might need to clean, its a Kroil show. Reseason with about 10 rounds and worry about cleaning at a later date.

My experience without moly was that I got to lug cleaning crap to the range and monkey with it. With it, I don't have to mess around. I saw accuracy drop off a lot quicker. Screw cleaning every 20 rounds. Ain't no BR guy.....

Goggle Fu "Berger Moly Cleaning" and you'll see the routine, sans the wipeout.

Works for me.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner.

Get a 25 cent conical rubber plug from the hardware store - heck, get 2, that's a lifetime supply.

Stick the plug in the chamber, tap it in tight with a cleaning rod. Squirt about 3-4 eye dropper's full of Montana Extreme in the muzzle. Take a square of plastic grocery bag and attach it to the muzzle with a rubber band. Turn the muzzle up, then down, then up, then down to coat the bore. Lay the rifle on a level surface and walk away.

Come back several hours later. Remove the grocery bag from the muzzle and pour out the now blue liquid. Carefully run a cleaning rod in from the muzzle to tap out the plug. Run 2 dry patches through the bore from the chamber end to dry the rest of the bore cleaner. If you feel like it, run a patch with some lighter fluid or alcohol on it to completely degrease the bore, or not. Run an oily patch through the bore and you're done.

If the rifle is a real fouler, look at the muzzle in a good light after cleaning as above. If you see streaks of copper (very rare) apply Montana Extreme Copper Killer as described above in place of the Bore Cleaner.

If you had to use the Copper Killer then when you're done apply Dyna Bore Coat once. Then put the Copper Killer away, never to be used again - at least not on that rifle.

FWIW, I use the Bore Cleaner about every 300-400 rounds whether the rifle needs it or not, I'm real particular about that... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Good old sweets 7.62

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a rifle that copper fouled bad anyhow used my usual gunslick foam let it set nothing wouldnt put a dent in the copper. I go 2-3 days scrubbing with it, switched to another gunslick product the liquid copper remover and brushes [bleep] still 2-3 days of cleaning. So bought some montana extreme bore paste and liquid bore cleaner. Holy smokes talk about fumes i would be out in the garage scrubbing with this stuff my wife come out go whew it stinks and go back inside. That stuff worked ok, so i switched to sweets that stuff stank just as bad as montana extreme stuff and it worked ok. Then i went with barnes cr-10 it stank as well didnt work very well. Then i read about wipeout tried the foam stuff and wow it worked no brushes. Then i found wipe out liquid accelerator and liquid wipe out use them both. So for me the wipe out products oh and they dont stink i clean my rifle in the house and not get high on ammonia!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Montana cleaners will definitely remove your nose hairs! wink That's why I plug the breech and seal the muzzle, no stink. When you pour it out there is a little smell but it's not strong at all. I am speculating here but figure that the ammonia is combined with the copper or whatever the volatile stuff is has been mostly neutralized.

I have not used a brass or nylon brush in ages.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boretech eliminator. One of my 1000 BR friends swore by it and suggested I try it. Very impressed with the product.

It is not harmful to the steel. In fact in their instructions they suggest leaving some in the bore during storage. Try that with CR-10 or Sweets and you will have an ammonia etched bore.

https://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Butch's bore shine can't beat it

Last edited by Jgotro; 04/13/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clean with Bitches Bore Shine, then shoot Wipe Out in it and you'll see it don't hold a candle....

Its the easiest gig on the market. Smells like aqua velva. I put about 12" of clear fuel line hose on the spout, push it to the "neck" of the chamber and give it just enough to foam out the muzzle. Come back later and run patches. Easy peasy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wipeout, Madge. I'm soaking in it now.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours well on this still spring morning.

If you or anyone else is so inclined what is your preferred method of application of Wipeout?

I'm guessing it's done with the rifle horizontal?

Is there a time frame you leave it in for a normal barrel?

Does it remove finish on say a painted stock?

Based upon threads such as this one, I sprang the $21 for a can at the local annual gun show yesterday morning.

I must confess up front here that I've not so much as read the can instructions either, just dropped it into the bag with the couple of old Bushnell straight tube scopes I'd found that called me and brought it home. blush

Thanks in advance for any advice and all the best to you and yours this Sunday.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/13/14. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
kroil? huh never heard of that

Kroil........good stuff...

use it on my moly varmint P-N barrels...followed up

by Butches or Hoppes BR9

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just an FYI

Don't sniff test Tiptons Extreme Bore Cleaner to see if it has ammonia in it

You will see floaters and sparkly things before you catch your breath

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bore Tech Eliminator

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Top of the morning to you too, Dwayne. I hope you and yours are doing well also. It's snowing here!

I use wipeout mostly for removal of copper fouling, I find that it will normally remove all the copper in one application as long as I remove the bulk of carbon first.

I have a vise with big flat smooth jaws, lined with some thin outdoor carpet. I use that to clamp the barrel in with the muzzle pointed just slightly down. I place a trash can under the muzzle to catch the dirty patches and the wipeout when the excess comes out the muzzle.

So I'll run a few patches soaked with Hoppe's #9 first to knock out most of the carbon, then some dry patches to remove it.

The wipeout can comes with a clear rubber tube that I use to cram into the action, make sure you get it into the chamber and push it up against the shoulder to seal so the foam doesn't come back out into the action. Shake well, and hold the button down for less than a second; the foam will come out the muzzle in a few seconds. I hold the tube tight into the chamber until the foam stops expanding and coming out the muzzle; then cram a large patch into the chamber to keep the wipeout from running back into the action. As it works, it forms a liquid film that will run.

If I'm doing more than one rifle I'll put them in a rack almost horizontal, but just slightly muzzle down. And leave them overnight. I'll put a paper towel or a patch under the muzzle, you may get a few drips.

Then just run a few Hoppe's patches through in the morning, the first will come out bright blue. Unless there's no copper of course.

I've never seen it harm the paint on a stock, but then again, I don't think I've ever gotten any on a stock so I'm not sure about that.

Great stuff though, saves a lot of scrubbing for copper.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it works for you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe-Out foam and Kroil for me too.

I get the Wipe-out at the local Sportsman's Warehouse and Kroil at Napa (if I can't find it elsewhere). Kroil gets used on a lot of other stuff so its handy to have around.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/13/14.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

81 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 673, 15 invisible), 1,114 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.