-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
a while back I picked up a geissele high speed match rifle trigger. This is their trigger cable of the lightest weight possible that they make. The trigger seems a little more difficult to shoot in practice than I thought and I can't really put my finger on why. It is very smooth and has a tuned bolt gun trigger like break. I put the trigger on the scale and may have come up with why I could have difficulty shooting it as well as I should. the first stage always pulls at right at 2 1/4 ounce, but the second stage brakes as low as 2.6 ounces sometimes and as much as 3.2 at other times. It seems like I am setting the gun off before I want to at times with that light of second stage.

my question am I just too freakin light??? would the SSA e trigger be a better choice. what should I do??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the Speed Match on a previous build and was indifferent about it. It was smooth but erratic on pull weight just as yours is.

I recently bought the Stag 3G which comes stock with the Geissle Super 3 gun trigger. Its neither a true single or double stag, rather a bit of a hybrid of their well known Super Select Fire 2 stage as it doesn't have a true second stage and no notable trigger break. You pull the trigger and it smoothly slides through until the gun goes off.

The only downside I can see for precision work is the lack of sear break doesn't give you a clue to stop pulling the trigger to fix the sights if they waver. It wouldn't be my first choice for CQB either again due to the lack of a notable second stage.

I've only had the gun for about 2 weeks and over 600 RDS through it. No problem hitting a 12" plate at 500 yds as long as my form is good.

Still to early for me to call it the best but for 3 gun, bench or varmint use I think it will be superb.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wow CC, 3.2/2.6 oz. that is incredibly light! I have 3 SSA-E triggers and none of the 3 are anywhere near that light. Hell I have several Jewell's in bolt guns and I don't have them that light.

Are you sure your talking about ounces?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/files/hi-speed-natl-match-dmr-trigger-pf.pdf

The link above has info on the three variants of the Hi Speed triggers and their rated stage weights. A call to Geissele should answer any questions regarding changing springs to convert your trigger to one of the other versions, both of which have higher pull weights. This might solve control issues with minimal cash outlay. Worth the try I would think.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no meant pounds sorry.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CC that makes me feel better smile

All 3 of my SSA-E's seem very consistent. I have not put a scale on them. They are light years better than any OEM I have had.

Good Luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You most likely have to little second stage sear engagement if the trigger is not breaking consistently.

I like mine set with 2 1/2 lbs on the first with 1 lb on the second for a total weight of 3 1/2 lbs.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
You most likely have to little second stage sear engagement if the trigger is not breaking consistently.

I like mine set with 2 1/2 lbs on the first with 1 lb on the second for a total weight of 3 1/2 lbs.

Or you could just buy a fixed AR Gold and be done with it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

There is the answer of the day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Or you could just buy a fixed AR Gold and be done with it.

That is a very possible option as the Hi Speed can be adjusted to offer the exact same trigger feel as any SSA. If a properly adjusted Hi Speed does not work for a fellow then switching to a different style of trigger is probably a better option than choosing a different version of the 2 stage trigger.

I have never shot the AR Gold trigger but have heard good things. If the Hi Speed just won't work then the AR Gold would make more sense than the SSA.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
thanks john I hoped you would chime in as I saw your guns look like they have this same trigger. I admit I just put the trigger in without adjusting everything like they say to do because I felt like the way the trigger was running was great. Most triggers vary a little bit on pull weight but this becomes a big deal when in alot of cases you are down to 3 or 4 ounces when the second stage brakes and other times it takes a full extra pound to set it off. I love 2 stage triggers so that isn't the problem. I actually felt like I shot the gun better with the RRA 2 stage NW trigger. I wanted a lighter trigger because I wanted it to be more like my long range bolt rifle because I am often going back and forth between guns. I will call geissele when I get a chance.

I think its very possible to have a trigger on an AR too light and 3.5 total weight is probably the sweet spot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I think its very possible to have a trigger on an AR too light and 3.5 total weight is probably the sweet spot.

Unless you can "slap" it and get away with it

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
the first thing they will tell you is to go through the adjustment procedure and after my first one without doing so I would have to agree. It take a little while but the end result is very good and consistent. I have one SSA-E and three high speed match and they are all great..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.