Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I can be very wrong but I thought the original parent cases back in the 1890's were extremely similar if not the same. But the 7.9 x 57 (8 x 57) case evolved to its present form sometime in the interwar years. As a result of not only projectile diameter difference but also bullet weight and material conservation. Like war effort. The cartridge definitely went thru an evolution period. Think Olson hit on some of this in his Mauser book. Don't remember it all. Have destroyed considerable brain cells since I last read it! smile

Good luck in your endeavor!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Prepare to swoon: An 8x57 necked to 7mm Ackley tight neck fast twist heavy bullet 1000-yard one-holer.

Did I miss any fads?

The most important. Has to be a 6.5/.264 dia bullet.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Why not a 284win with a capacity of ~66 grains?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in some of these replies? Nah, couldn't be; it must be my imagination.

By my calculations, the 7mm/8mm Mauser (I just named it!) would have about the same capacity as the 7x57 Ackley Improved, or around 61.4 grs water. Contrast that with the standard 7x57 at 55.5 grs, and the 7mm/08 at 52.2 grs. That represents a 10% increase over the 7x57, and 17% increase over the 7-08.

Help me out: If what you're proposing is virtually the same as the 7x57AI, then why wouldn't you just chamber a rifle in 7x57AI, use the 8x57 brass for forming (if need be), and be done with it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out what's new and improved over something virtually identical that already exists?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hogeye
283 Chevy

Necked up to a 327 laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in some of these replies? Nah, couldn't be; it must be my imagination.

By my calculations, the 7mm/8mm Mauser (I just named it!) would have about the same capacity as the 7x57 Ackley Improved, or around 61.4 grs water. Contrast that with the standard 7x57 at 55.5 grs, and the 7mm/08 at 52.2 grs. That represents a 10% increase over the 7x57, and 17% increase over the 7-08.

Help me out: If what you're proposing is virtually the same as the 7x57AI, then why wouldn't you just chamber a rifle in 7x57AI, use the 8x57 brass for forming (if need be), and be done with it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out what's new and improved over something virtually identical that already exists?
NIH!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I can be very wrong but I thought the original parent cases back in the 1890's were extremely similar if not the same. But the 7.9 x 57 (8 x 57) case evolved to its present form sometime in the interwar years. As a result of not only projectile diameter difference but also bullet weight and material conservation. Like war effort. The cartridge definitely went thru an evolution period. Think Olson hit on some of this in his Mauser book. Don't remember it all. Have destroyed considerable brain cells since I last read it! smile

I think the case shape of the 8x57 stayed the same from the time of adoption to the present time.

What changed was bullets. It went from a 236-grain round nose, to a 154-grain spitzer in 1905, to the famous 196-grain SS load of WW2. (SS in this case stands for schweres spitzgeschoss which translates to heavy pointed bullet.)

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm8mm

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

I think the case shape of the 8x57 stayed the same from the time of adoption to the present time.

What changed was bullets. It went from a 236-grain round nose, to a 154-grain spitzer in 1905, to the famous 196-grain SS load of WW2. (SS in this case stands for schweres spitzgeschoss which translates to heavy pointed bullet.)

Bingo! That's it. The heavier bullet gave better performance at the longer ranges for LMG use! I also remember the dura-aluminum experiment for cases to be used on Zeppelins and such. Weren't too successful.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Bingo! That's it. The heavier bullet gave better performance at the longer ranges for LMG use! I also remember the dura-aluminum experiment for cases to be used on Zeppelins and such. Weren't too successful.

There was also a schweres Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern. I.E. Heavy pointed bullet with iron core. I'm not sure if this bullet was manufactured as an armor-piercing round or if Germany was running short on lead, maybe both.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x8x57
7-8mm
7mm-8mm
7/8mm
7-8x57
7/8x57

It sounds like a great round any way you spell it! smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There was also a schweres Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern. I.E. Heavy pointed bullet with iron core. I'm not sure if this bullet was manufactured as an armor-piercing round or if Germany was running short on lead, maybe both.

That is an angle I had not considered before, if lead is too toxic to use in projectiles for hunting, why isn't Europe a desert?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not meaning to HiJack the thread.....What would you call the 7x57 necked up to 8mm ????

Hang on tight !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leemar28
Not meaning to HiJack the thread.....What would you call the 7x57 necked up to 8mm ????

8x7x57
8-7mm
8mm-7mm
8/7mm
8-7x57
8/7x57

smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Reading this thread made me curious. So I measured some case capacities using demineralized water. I didn't have 8x57 and 7x57 that were the same brand so the results don't mean much but are still interesting. I guess if you're looking for small gains in case capacity, case brand might be the place to look instead of changing case shape.
Winchester 8x57mm = 60.8 grains
Remington 7x57mm = 56.6 grains
Privi 7x57mm = 60.3 grains
Measured on Ohaus explorer Pro E2102C

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rifle loonies do some strange stuff, just because they want to try it. I don't see the reason to beat 'em up for it though. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep! A fellow up here barrelled up a silhouette rifle to 6.5 on the 8x57 case. No changes other than reducing the neck diameter. Spent a lot of dough on the reamer and dies.

A few guys wanted to know why he didn't just use the 6.5x55 case, as the case capacity was almost identical? He told them he did it just because he wanted to.....

He won no small numbers of matches using it, too. smile
Ted

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
On the 8mm bullet weights: Years back I used a new surplus MG-34 8x57 barrel on a sporter I was putting together. I had to go over 200 grains to get any accuracy out of it. Even 180 range bullets shot terrible. Anybody know if twist rates were different in those barrels?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

That is an angle I had not considered before, if lead is too toxic to use in projectiles for hunting, why isn't Europe a desert?

Because very, very few Europeans think like Californian law makers.

Last edited by johnfox; 04/25/14.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
rifle loonies do some strange stuff, just because they want to try it. I don't see the reason to beat 'em up for it though. laugh
Oh, I don't know. Being called a fool because you ask a question isn't really so bad! crazy

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.