Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Regarding the title: what cartridge results from necking down the 8x57 to 7mm and trimming back to 57mm with no other changes? No, it isn't the standard 7x57mm Mauser, since the shoulder length and angle are different. And it has probably 5% greater capacity than the 7x57 Mauser, and perhaps 13% greater capacity than the 7mm-08.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I think it is the 7x57!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am sort of with kenster99 on this one but if you have done the calculations I'll take your word for the extra case capacity. I guess my question would be why? If you want more capacity than the 7x57 just get a .280 Remington and save a lot of messing about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming speeds in the 2800-2900 fps area for a standard 7X57, 5% greater case capacity should be good for about 1.5% greater velocity, i.e. around 42 to 43 fps more velocity at the same pressures.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Prepare to swoon: An 8x57 necked to 7mm Ackley tight neck fast twist heavy bullet 1000-yard one-holer.

Did I miss any fads?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bangeye
I am sort of with kenster99 on this one but if you have done the calculations I'll take your word for the extra case capacity. I guess my question would be why? If you want more capacity than the 7x57 just get a .280 Remington and save a lot of messing about.
I could just use my 7x61 S&H. But that is not what I am asking. It would be a 7x57, but not a 7x57 Mauser. Does this cartridge already exist, and if so, what is it called?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
7x57 Fulzehrund

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You could call it a .280 Mauser...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by CowboyTim
You could call it a .280 Mauser...

I'll go .323 Mouser. smirk

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Originally Posted by bangeye
I could just use my 7x61 S&H. But that is not what I am asking. It would be a 7x57, but not a 7x57 Mauser. Does this cartridge already exist, and if so, what is it called?

Yes it does exist, the 7mm Redundant

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
284 mauser

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man you can sure tell that hunting season is over. Looks like were in for some doozies this spring. powdr

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
283 Chevy

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
why bother ... the 7x64 Brenneke the real 280 and well in advance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I have a 8x63mm in a pre-war Mauser,barrel is marked that way

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I think it would give you similar case capacity to the 284 win, but a little less IIRC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me understand you want to take an 8 x 57 and neck it down to 7mm? Sounds like a hell of a cartridge to me, should perform well, and it might get a good monicker in time. Can wait to see it chambered in rifles!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in some of these replies? Nah, couldn't be; it must be my imagination.

By my calculations, the 7mm/8mm Mauser (I just named it!) would have about the same capacity as the 7x57 Ackley Improved, or around 61.4 grs water. Contrast that with the standard 7x57 at 55.5 grs, and the 7mm/08 at 52.2 grs. That represents a 10% increase over the 7x57, and 17% increase over the 7-08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the title: what cartridge results from necking down the 8x57 to 7mm and trimming back to 57mm with no other changes? No, it isn't the standard 7x57mm Mauser, since the shoulder length and angle are different. And it has probably 5% greater capacity than the 7x57 Mauser, and perhaps 13% greater capacity than the 7mm-08.

Why is it that a guy asks a simple question and all he gets are questionable replies. Much like the simple question about annealing that was asked on here a few days ago.

Guys, all he is asking is what is the cartridge called. How [bleep] hard is that to understand? He's not saying that should be the next new wonder cartridge that we all can't live without.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NTG
I think it would give you similar case capacity to the 284 win, but a little less IIRC.

The .284 has 64.6 grs water vs. appx.61.4 for the 7mm/8x57. So you are very close.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I can be very wrong but I thought the original parent cases back in the 1890's were extremely similar if not the same. But the 7.9 x 57 (8 x 57) case evolved to its present form sometime in the interwar years. As a result of not only projectile diameter difference but also bullet weight and material conservation. Like war effort. The cartridge definitely went thru an evolution period. Think Olson hit on some of this in his Mauser book. Don't remember it all. Have destroyed considerable brain cells since I last read it! smile

Good luck in your endeavor!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Prepare to swoon: An 8x57 necked to 7mm Ackley tight neck fast twist heavy bullet 1000-yard one-holer.

Did I miss any fads?

The most important. Has to be a 6.5/.264 dia bullet.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Why not a 284win with a capacity of ~66 grains?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in some of these replies? Nah, couldn't be; it must be my imagination.

By my calculations, the 7mm/8mm Mauser (I just named it!) would have about the same capacity as the 7x57 Ackley Improved, or around 61.4 grs water. Contrast that with the standard 7x57 at 55.5 grs, and the 7mm/08 at 52.2 grs. That represents a 10% increase over the 7x57, and 17% increase over the 7-08.

Help me out: If what you're proposing is virtually the same as the 7x57AI, then why wouldn't you just chamber a rifle in 7x57AI, use the 8x57 brass for forming (if need be), and be done with it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out what's new and improved over something virtually identical that already exists?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hogeye
283 Chevy

Necked up to a 327 laugh

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RevMike

Help me out: If what you're proposing is virtually the same as the 7x57AI, then why wouldn't you just chamber a rifle in 7x57AI, use the 8x57 brass for forming (if need be), and be done with it? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to figure out what's new and improved over something virtually identical that already exists?
NIH!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I can be very wrong but I thought the original parent cases back in the 1890's were extremely similar if not the same. But the 7.9 x 57 (8 x 57) case evolved to its present form sometime in the interwar years. As a result of not only projectile diameter difference but also bullet weight and material conservation. Like war effort. The cartridge definitely went thru an evolution period. Think Olson hit on some of this in his Mauser book. Don't remember it all. Have destroyed considerable brain cells since I last read it! smile

I think the case shape of the 8x57 stayed the same from the time of adoption to the present time.

What changed was bullets. It went from a 236-grain round nose, to a 154-grain spitzer in 1905, to the famous 196-grain SS load of WW2. (SS in this case stands for schweres spitzgeschoss which translates to heavy pointed bullet.)

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm8mm

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot

I think the case shape of the 8x57 stayed the same from the time of adoption to the present time.

What changed was bullets. It went from a 236-grain round nose, to a 154-grain spitzer in 1905, to the famous 196-grain SS load of WW2. (SS in this case stands for schweres spitzgeschoss which translates to heavy pointed bullet.)

Bingo! That's it. The heavier bullet gave better performance at the longer ranges for LMG use! I also remember the dura-aluminum experiment for cases to be used on Zeppelins and such. Weren't too successful.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Bingo! That's it. The heavier bullet gave better performance at the longer ranges for LMG use! I also remember the dura-aluminum experiment for cases to be used on Zeppelins and such. Weren't too successful.

There was also a schweres Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern. I.E. Heavy pointed bullet with iron core. I'm not sure if this bullet was manufactured as an armor-piercing round or if Germany was running short on lead, maybe both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x8x57
7-8mm
7mm-8mm
7/8mm
7-8x57
7/8x57

It sounds like a great round any way you spell it! smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There was also a schweres Spitzgeschoss mit Eisenkern. I.E. Heavy pointed bullet with iron core. I'm not sure if this bullet was manufactured as an armor-piercing round or if Germany was running short on lead, maybe both.

That is an angle I had not considered before, if lead is too toxic to use in projectiles for hunting, why isn't Europe a desert?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not meaning to HiJack the thread.....What would you call the 7x57 necked up to 8mm ????

Hang on tight !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leemar28
Not meaning to HiJack the thread.....What would you call the 7x57 necked up to 8mm ????

8x7x57
8-7mm
8mm-7mm
8/7mm
8-7x57
8/7x57

smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Reading this thread made me curious. So I measured some case capacities using demineralized water. I didn't have 8x57 and 7x57 that were the same brand so the results don't mean much but are still interesting. I guess if you're looking for small gains in case capacity, case brand might be the place to look instead of changing case shape.
Winchester 8x57mm = 60.8 grains
Remington 7x57mm = 56.6 grains
Privi 7x57mm = 60.3 grains
Measured on Ohaus explorer Pro E2102C

"He is one of the Legion lost."

"You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rifle loonies do some strange stuff, just because they want to try it. I don't see the reason to beat 'em up for it though. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep! A fellow up here barrelled up a silhouette rifle to 6.5 on the 8x57 case. No changes other than reducing the neck diameter. Spent a lot of dough on the reamer and dies.

A few guys wanted to know why he didn't just use the 6.5x55 case, as the case capacity was almost identical? He told them he did it just because he wanted to.....

He won no small numbers of matches using it, too. smile
Ted

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
On the 8mm bullet weights: Years back I used a new surplus MG-34 8x57 barrel on a sporter I was putting together. I had to go over 200 grains to get any accuracy out of it. Even 180 range bullets shot terrible. Anybody know if twist rates were different in those barrels?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

That is an angle I had not considered before, if lead is too toxic to use in projectiles for hunting, why isn't Europe a desert?

Because very, very few Europeans think like Californian law makers.

Last edited by johnfox; 04/25/14.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
rifle loonies do some strange stuff, just because they want to try it. I don't see the reason to beat 'em up for it though. laugh
Oh, I don't know. Being called a fool because you ask a question isn't really so bad! crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ones adopting that attitude have never stood the two cartridges side by side to discover the considerable difference in shoulder position, and therefore case capacity.

Rather than post a picture, let's let them do it! Participatory learning, as opposed to simple lecture, results in greater understanding and comprehension. wink

Ted
(With apologies. Haven't had breakfast yet!) grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't make no dang sense, 7x57 is a long action anyway, just make it 280 Remington.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Don't make no dang sense, 7x57 is a long action anyway, just make it 280 Remington.

Amen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes perfect sense to me. I prefer a 7x57 to a 280 Rem every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Exactly. beyond nostalgia, what will a 7x57 do that a 280 won't?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I once used to neck down 8x57 cases to 7x57 because I was short of brass. Works fine. Five pages of what's the big deal?

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I know this is an older thread but I took the 8x57 case and opened up on the shoulder like the old Gibbs cartridges with a 40* shoulder so it a bit more that an Ackley. Then I chambered it from 6mm up through .375. in the 7mm version it outshoots my 280 Remington and almost up with my 280 Ackley, all out of an intermediate length Mauser. Couldn't be more happy with it. Call this the HSI (Hileman Super Improved) family. It's a wicked bunch of cartridges.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have no clue what it is called. But I do know that I can't see from looking at the 7x57 cartridge dimensions and the 8x57 cartridge dimensions I can't agree there's that much difference in capacity. At least there's not enough to make it into anything close to a .280 Remington and especially not a .280 AI. As for my opinion, for any practical purposes the differences between an original 7x57 Mauser and making one out of an 8x57 case can be ignored. it might look great on paper but I bet in the real world they would be ballistic twins.

Last edited by Filaman; 04/15/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"7857MMM"

Like hotcakes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Criminy...

Why not just re-chamber to 7X57 AI and make it easy?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because we are rifle loonies? grin

Ted

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Name it the 7mm BS

<hint>

Last edited by RinB; 04/15/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Naw, the 7x57 isn't a Barsness-Sisk wildcat....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I was thinking Big Stick

Last edited by RinB; 04/15/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
!!!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Exactly. beyond nostalgia, what will a 7x57 do that a 280 won't?

Have a slower bullet traveling a higher arch in trajectory.
No replacement for displacement.

A larger powder tank (fuselage) has good usage.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
223 AI.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Yukoner
The ones adopting that attitude have never stood the two cartridges side by side to discover the considerable difference in shoulder position, and therefore case capacity.

Rather than post a picture, let's let them do it! Participatory learning, as opposed to simple lecture, results in greater understanding and comprehension. wink

Ted
(With apologies. Haven't had breakfast yet!) grin

The 7x57 = 1.470" to the beginning of the shoulder.

The 8x57 = 1.500" to the beginning of the shoulder.

Both cartridge cases are 57MM in length.

What was the question again????
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don’t know

Tamiflu is for influenza not stomach flu I think

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
She was on fam room couch at lunch

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PJGunner

The 7x57 = 1.470" to the beginning of the shoulder.

The 8x57 = 1.500" to the beginning of the shoulder.

Both cartridge cases are 57MM in length.

What was the question again????
Paul B.

Compare the O D at the bases and shoulders. UIM the 8mm is larger Around.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
From Above ^^^^^^^^

"Compare the O D at the bases and shoulders. UIM the 8mm is larger Around."

There is NOT as much diff as I thot. It looks a little larger due to the 8mm neck compared to 7mm neck.

7X57 - Base OD = .471

8X57 - Base OD = .469

7X57 - Shold OD = .431

8X57 - Shold OD = .434

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Call it the 7mm/8mmx57 Creedmauser.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Might be better to simply stay with the 8mm bore and use 7mm bullets and a sabot. For extreme range, 6.5mm bullets in an appropriate sabot. Larger base area results in higher velocities, no bullet deformation from rifleing means a better and more consistent BC. Regardless of how it's done, there is little doubt this will be an exciting development. Before we jump right into it though, we might want to consider necking up the 6mm Remington instead. Has anyone given any thought to the 7.5x55 Swiss necked down to 7? GD

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Using the 8x57 case and resizing it to 7 probably makes as much sense as reducing a 284 bore to 277...............

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only real difference between the 8x57 and 7x57 case is that the shoulder on the 8x57 is further forward by 0.099". It does then have additional case capacity. Enough to be worth the effort? Hard to say.

I like the 7x57 as is. If the 7x57 is built on a standard length action, leade allowing, you can seat bullets out to a longer COAL and thereby increase the case capacity without resorting to any wildcat shenanigans.

But if it scratches an itch you have, have at it!

If I have the need for more capacity, I bust out the .280 AI.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are some maximum dimensions for the two cartridges according to CIP, with mm measurements converted to inches:
Code
                  7x57    8x57        
                --------------    
Rim Thickness:   .0453	  .0512
Rim Diameter:    .4764    .4705
Head diameter:   .4728    .4701

Shoulder dia:    .4299    .4311
Shoulder length: 1.7260  1.8190
Shoulder angle:  20.90°  19.10°

The 8x57 values were based on the 8x57 IS cartridge data. SAAMI values for the same cartridges differ a bit from CIP values. Most cartridges will have actual measurements less than those listed here.

Using the approximate volume values in Ken Howell's cartridge book, the 8x57 case will have about 6% greater capacity.

Name? Call it the 7mm Bandukwalla, or 280 or .284 Bandukwalla. With a British accent, it might be the 275 Bandukwalla.

--Bob

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Call it the 7mm/8mmx57 Creedmauser.

........ Amazing that a "Creed" comment didn't show up until page 7...... While I was thinking Germanic stuff like 7mm Creedenscheutzen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darn, it coulda been the parent case for the .270 Ingwe...

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Here are some maximum dimensions for the two cartridges according to CIP, with mm measurements converted to inches:
Code
                  7x57    8x57        
                --------------    

The 8x57 values were based on the 8x57 IS cartridge data. SAAMI values for the same cartridges differ a bit from CIP values. Most cartridges will have actual measurements less than those listed here.

Using the approximate volume values in Ken Howell's cartridge book, the 8x57 case will have about 6% greater capacity.

Name? Call it the 7mm Bandukwalla, or 280 or .284 Bandukwalla. With a British accent, it might be the 275 Bandukwalla.

--Bob

I like the way you think; I'll call it the 275 Bandukwalla

Last edited by Bandukwallah; 04/18/19. Reason: Spelling
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Code
                  7x57    8x57        
                --------------    

--Bob

I like the way you think; I'll call it the 275 Bandukwalla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the way you think; I'll call it the 275 Bandukwalla.
B-
Thank you. Thank you very much!
--Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is that you Elvis ? grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RevMike

Right, or he could join the 21st Century and just build a 7mm WSM, short action and all. (I'll be here all night, be sure to tip the waitress.)

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Did I miss any fads?

Did you fit Creedmore in there,?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I remember Jon R Sundra doing parallel studies on the 8x57. 8x57 JRS is what it shall be named.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Is that you Elvis ? grin grin

jwall-

Probably not. Elvis has left the building.

--Bob

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't have a 8x57 but I do have three 7x57s. Does anyone know where I may buy Lapua 7x57 ammo or brass? No, well that is why I am thinking about buying 8x57 Lapua brass and running them thru a 7x57 die. That should work, right?

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Turk1961
I don't have a 8x57 but I do have three 7x57s. Does anyone know where I may buy Lapua 7x57 ammo or brass? No, well that is why I am thinking about buying 8x57 Lapua brass and running them thru a 7x57 die. That should work, right?

It should work just fine

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have designed a series of cartridges based on the .275 Bandukwallah. They are: 6x57 B; 6.5x57B; .275B (parent); 7.62x57B; .323B; .338x57B; 9x57B; 9.3x57B; 9.5x57B. No home is complete without one or more of these!

Last edited by Bandukwallah; 05/03/19. Reason: Correct name of cartridge
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
7mm WTF Rigby

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Turk1961

Necking 308 Palma Lapua to 260, the necks need to be turned to fit in a chamber made with a standard reamer.
Necking 8x57 Win brass to 7x57 and then to 257 Roberts, the necks do not to be turned for a standard reamer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.