Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF Sues California Attorney General Over Waiting Period Statute
The Second Amendment Foundation, Calguns Foundation and three California citizens have filed a federal lawsuit against the California Department of Justice and Attorney General Kamala Harris, challenging the state�s requirement that current gun owners wait at least ten days before taking possession of any additional firearm.

Read the release here
District Court case docket: Silvester v. Harris

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF CONGRATULATES FIRST 5,000 ILLINOIS CCW PERMIT RECIPIENTS
28 Feb 2014 | News & Releases
BELLEVUE, WA � The Second Amendment Foundation today offered congratulations to the first 5,000 recipients of Illinois concealed carry licenses, which were mailed out by the State Police.

It was a SAF case � Moore v. Madigan � that forced the Illinois Legislature to adopt a concealed carry law last year over the objections of anti-gun Gov. Pat Quinn and others including Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

�While politicians had to be dragged kicking and screaming into compliance with the Second Amendment,� said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb, �the good citizens are rushing to enjoy their newly-restored firearms freedom. State officials said today they have received more than 50,000 permit applications. Last month, Fox News reported that concealed carry applications had outpaced the number of applications for Obamacare.

�We�re proud that our case brought about this opportunity for Illinois citizens to join millions of other Americans in the exercise of their fundamental right to keep and especially bear arms,� he continued. �If the Illinois experience has taught us anything, it is that the die-hard anti-gun politicians who opposed this new law are horribly out of touch with their constituents.�

Gottlieb said SAF will be monitoring the progress of this new law, with an eye on the number of permit applications being opposed by law enforcement that wind up being reviewed.

�At the rate of applications so far,� Gottlieb predicted, �we�re expecting to see up to 300,000 to 400,000 citizens apply for permits this year, which would be on par with the estimate offered a few weeks ago by the State Police. By the time that happens, we anticipate the law-abiding armed citizens of Illinois will prove that they are responsible and reliable with this most precious of civil rights.�

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
�At the rate of applications so far (IN ILLINOIS) Gottlieb predicted, �we�re expecting to see up to 300,000 to 400,000 citizens apply for permits this year, which would be on par with the estimate offered a few weeks ago by the State Police. By the time that happens, we anticipate the law-abiding armed citizens of Illinois will prove that they are responsible and reliable with this most precious of civil rights.�

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BELLEVUE, WA � The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a petition to the U.S. Supreme Court for review of its challenge to the exorbitant gun permit fees charged by the City of New York. The case is Kwong v. de Blasio.

SAF is joined in the lawsuit � which was filed in 2011 against former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who has been replaced by current Mayor Bill de Blasio � by the New York State Rifle & Pistol Association and seven private citizens. They are represented by New York attorney David Jensen.

The lawsuit challenges New York City�s $340 fee for a three-year handgun license, which is the highest such fee imposed for a gun possession license anywhere in the United States. SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb noted that the fee anywhere else in the entire state of New York is $10, but the city is exempted from that law, The city�s higher fee, he said, �discourages city residents from exercising their civil rights while violating the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.�

�The fee structure discriminates against all but the wealthy and well-connected elites,� Gottlieb said. �This prohibitively high fee leaves average citizens defenseless due to their financial situation, but the right of self-defense and exercise of the Second Amendment should not be limited solely to those with deep pockets and fat wallets.�

The federal district court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals both sided with the city�s argument that the higher fee is allowable to recover costs and promote public safety.

�This recurring fee constitutes a substantial burden on the exercise of a fundamental civil right,� Gottlieb stated. �Nowhere in the Constitution does it condition the exercise of a civil right on the amount of money one has in the bank.�

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BELLEVUE, WA � The Second Amendment Foundation today extended its heartfelt gratitude to five groups, including two fellow gun rights organizations, for their strong amicus curiae briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court, supporting SAF�s petition for review of the New Jersey carry challenge, Drake v. Jerejian.

�In addition to briefs filed by 19 state attorneys general and 34 members of Congress,� SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb noted, �our case has now gotten support from our friends at the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners Foundation, the Cato Institute and Madison Society Foundation, plus the Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence and the Judicial Education Project.

�We�re encouraged by the additional boost last week of an opinion on carry outside the home by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in a case funded by the NRA, in which SAF submitted an amicus brief, that clearly defines the issues raised by our New Jersey lawsuit,� he added. �This was a great ruling and well written legal opinion that relied heavily on the decisions in Heller as well as SAF court victories in McDonald, Ezell and Moore. This ruling should help get the Second Amendment Foundation�s cert petition in our New Jersey Drake case on the right to carry heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. I am very excited.�

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BELLEVUE, WA � Thirty-four members of Congress including Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran have signed onto an amicus curiae brief in the Second Amendment Foundation�s case of Drake v. Jerejian, which asks the U.S. Supreme Court to determine whether the Second Amendment secures the right to carry handguns outside the home for self-defense.

The case, which is joined by the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, also asks the high court to clarify the standard of review governing Second Amendment claims involving restrictions on the right of law-abiding adults to carry handguns outside the home. This case challenges New Jersey�s arbitrary requirement that carry permit applicants demonstrate a �justifiable need� to carry a handgun outside the home.

In addition to Sen. Cochran, 33 members of the U.S. House of Representatives including Rep. Lamar Smith, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, signed the brief.

�We�re gratified that so many elected officials on Capitol Hill took time to study this issue and add their names to our brief,� said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. �The Supreme Court has already affirmed that the right to keep and bear arms applies to individual citizens, so it simply makes sense that this right extends beyond someone�s doorstep. A right limited to someone�s home unless a citizen can demonstrate some nebulous �justifiable need� is not a right at all, but a heavily-regulated privilege.�

Representatives from several other states including Alaska, Arizona, California, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, North and South Carolina, Missouri, Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, and Wyoming also signed.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF CASE ASKS WHETHER IT'S LEGAL FOR CITIES TO BAN GUN STORES

he Second Amendment Foundation has hired Attorney David Sigale to pursue this action on behalf of an individual and his business against the Village of Norridge, Illinois. The Village initially issued a license to sell firearms to Mr. Kole, but then rescinded its decision and banned all gun dealers from the city.

District Court case docket: Kole v. Village of Norridge, et al.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/20/14.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF CASE CONSIDERS ADDITIONAL CHICAGO GUN RESTRICTIONS AFTER MCDONALD

The Second Amendment Foundation has hired Attorney David Sigale to take over this action originally filed by Attorney Walter Maksym. This action was originally quite broad, but now focuses on challenging the City of Chicago�s extreme zoning, licensing and transportation requirements for gun-related businesses and their customers seeking to operate in the City. District Court �read more

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF SUES ALAMEDA COUNTY FOR CIVIL RIGHTS VIOLATION IN GUN SHOP CASE

The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a federal lawsuit against Alameda County, California and the county�s Board of Supervisors for violating the constitutional rights of three businessmen by wrongfully denying them permits to open a gun shop. District Court case docket: Teixeira v. County of Alameda

SAF, CALGUNS FOUNDATION SUE OAKLAND, SAN FRANCISCO POLICE

The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit against the police departments in San Francisco and Oakland, California for refusing to return firearms to people who had been charged with crimes, but subsequently cleared of any wrongdoing. District Court case docket: Churchill v. Harris

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
CALIFORNIA �ASSAULT WEAPONS� ARREST LAWSUIT

SAF and Calguns Foundation have filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in California, seeking damages for an unlawful arrest and to have the state�s definition of so-called �assault weapons� declared unconstitutionally vague. Case docket: Richards v. Harris

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
GOTTLIEB, GUN COMPANIES ON �GUN TALK� SUNDAY TO DISCUSS CAL. HANDGUN ROSTER FIASCO

BELLEVUE, WA � Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and founder of the Second Amendment Foundation will appear this Sunday, Jan. 26 on the nationally-syndicated �Gun Talk� with Tom Gresham to discuss the controversy surrounding California�s microstamping law that now has major gun companies essentially dropping �read more

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with you eyeball, SAF has done ALOT for gun owners.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Living in this grossly mismanaged anti gun state (Illinausea) is a never-ending source of irritation to me. As my signature line notes, I am a LIFETIME member of the NRA. I have been since Billy Boy Klinton signed that abortion of a crime bill in his first term. While we a certainly free to leave, one of us needs to be gainfully employed when we land after we leave. Thus far jobs have been fleeting. My wife is a tenured full professor at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, IL. I have almost completed my PhD. It's been a long time coming. She has been on many job interviews outside the state. As it stands for me, I'm a retired LEO working on a terminal degree. IF I manage to finish my degree I'll begin to cast about me, anywhere and everywhere to get out of this Pfukked up state. In the meantime, the NRA scares the sschitt out of anti-gun politicians who are not in "safe" districts. That's why barry hasn't had any new crime/gun bills cross his desk...and the House, for the moment, is held by ball-less republicans. At least they keep any laws that would further punish law-abiding gun owners off of that half-breed's desk.

For us the mid-term elections mean everything. Though I don't think it will be possible, I can dream that the Senate passes into Republican hands. Just force barry to veto bill after bill until the DIMocratic Presidential Candidate is done before he/she even starts.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
These guys (SAF), with only 675,000 members, pay the best 2A lawyers in the USA to defend our gun rights.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/20/14.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have belonged to a number of hunt clubs in Virginia & North Carolina in the last 25 years with memberships from 15 to 75. Typically about 10% belong to the NRA. Excuses range from once being a member & receiving too much mail to rejoin, to not reading the magazines or liking them so why pay for a membership, & not agreeing with everything the NRA does. About 75% of the same group does not vote, but bitches about the liberals & gun control. Almost none have ever written or called an elected official to express an opinion. The standard statement is that their vote accomplishes nothing or contacting elected officials does no good since THEY do what they want anyway.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

Show them this and tell them the signers of the Constitution only gave up their families, fortunes, farms and lives so they could live free and hunt and if they can't support the SAF and NRA they don't deserve the right to hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Father and I went down to camp,
along with Captain Gooding,
And there we see the men and boys
as thick as hasty pudding.
And there was Captain Washington,
And gentlefolks about him,
They say he's grown so tarnal proud,
He will not ride without �em.

and some bitch about calls asking for money to fight the fight?
think of the money if each patriot gave super bowl Sunday's beer money? money hurts so much less then blood

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I jump down the throat of every non member I run across. And I have a response for every excuse.
My favorite is: "Listen, I have been a Life Member for years. For YOU I have pulled the wagon, throwing money I'd rather spend on something else into the defense of YOUR rights, not just mine. Have you ever considered the reason the country is going to he!! is because people like you won't put the wagon when it matters?"

Whelen, you should see just what a "friend" you have. Ask him if he actually thinks he could own all those toys without the NRA and other groups standing up for him? I mean, raise the topic and don't let it slide. He should be ashamed of himself.
Get a commitment from him that he'll either join NRA, or any of the other good groups, and stay a member, pulling whatever wagon in the convoy he wants.

As for all you other freeloading weasels, I don't care what gun rights group you support, but by golly, you dang well better help haul the freight.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
These guys (SAF), with only 675,000 members, pay the best 2A lawyers in the USA to defend our gun rights.

eyeball,

Thanks for the info. Make it 675,001 members.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1941USMC, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.