Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
For me Havasu would be better for kids, Bullhead is more the Nevada gambling scene.

Decent fishing, waterfowl, Dunes not to far, Disneyland and beaches less than 4 hours, Phoenix less than 3.

Kent

I think Kent has pretty much covered it.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Havasu and bullhead are desert communities built alongside the colorado. The airport at havasu was a army air corp strip during WWII when one of Patton's desert training commands was at bouse, just to the south of parker.
Hotter then hades in the summer, but i have been told if you go up river in some of the canyons by boat, you can find cool air.
Winters are not winter per say, it is high desert. Having said that, there are pines to the south and big game, and certainly outside of kingman.
I think the current cities buildout was basically a result of people wanting to flee california, across the river. When the real estate market fell apart a few years ago, it just about killed those two cities. I was up there at the time to see a guy who was running a electricians business. At the heighth he had 30 people working for him, at the time i saw him there were two.
Kingman isn't much to draw to, when i was a kid the story was cold and windy in the winter, hot and windy in the summer, basically a old railroad down on old rte 66.
Having said that, there are worse places to live. One other small item is my understanding from friends in the area is that youth gangs are there, so is a lot of drug usage.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's a ZOO on 3 day weekends with boater/skiers. Big party town during summer too. Lots of pretty wimmens though. If you have kids it might be kinda dead end for things for them to do year round. And it is HOT. Usually starts before memorial day to Thanksgiving.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. I have three young kids. They wouldn't be in school but not being able to play outside much is certainly a downer. Sounds like the consensus from what I gathered is LHC wouldn't be too bad if it weren't so hot.

I thing I did come across was the large growth over the past little while. Guess I kind of know the reason behind it now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And there is, of course..........Needles.........

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
don't let that heat thing throw you too much, i have been in 120plus temps on the desert and okay with it.
Much better than in florida in 90degree weather with 100%humidity.
You actually get use to the heat and adapt around it, early morning, evening activities. I grew up in north central arizona and still have a home there. Would I want to move back there full time, no.
I like the desert and its moods just fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
don't let that heat thing throw you too much, i have been in 120plus temps on the desert and okay with it.
You actually get use to the heat and adapt around it, early morning, evening activities.

This cannot be overemphasized. We have maybe a couple weeks at most in the summer over 110, that's really hot, but some years it's not even that bad. When it's only 105, that's not especially uncomfortable in the shade. At that temp, when you get out of the pool, you'll get a chill because it's so dry. Beat's the living crap out of 90+% humidity some places all summer, IMO.

Haven't been over that way often, but last time I was there visited a couple neat gun stores, to me that means lots of old used guns. But I can't remember if they were in LHC or somewhere else on the way.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG
You actually get use to the heat and adapt around it, early morning, evening activities.

This cannot be overemphasized. We have maybe a couple weeks at most in the summer over 110, that's really hot, but some years it's not even that bad. When it's only 105, that's not especially uncomfortable in the shade. At that temp, when you get out of the pool, you'll get a chill because it's so dry. Beat's the living crap out of 90+% humidity some places all summer, IMO.

Haven't been over that way often, but last time I was there visited a couple neat gun stores, to me that means lots of old used guns. But I can't remember if they were in LHC or somewhere else on the way.

Thanks for the perspective with the heat.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I worked in NV for about 30 years, 3 months out of every year. Never got use to the heat. You work outside during the day and you burn yourself picking up tools.

Go to water sports and that hot desert wind blows down on you and the water is pee warm.

You lean in side your car, start it up, turn the AC on and let it blow out before you drive away.

We would go to BHC and Laughlin every once in awhile ,and it was worse yet.

If you are not living right, you will get an idea what hell is like before you make it there.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RufusG

Dittos. We moved from the midwest to the desert of SW Utah in the middle of last summer. Love the climate here, and don't miss the extremes of heat and cold combined with humidity in the least. Even the summer heat is bearable, and it helps that I'm an early morning person.

With regard to saddlesore's post, if you work outdoors, it is a completely different story.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 04/29/14.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a long time ago in another life, i worked heavy construction in the phx area. That came to mind a crew working on my house recently with some heavy concrete work. Nothing has changed, like me a long time ago, they often started at 4am in the hot months, done by noon. You adapt.
I guess there is a reason why they call people desert rats.
But i would much rather deal with a couple months of high heat with a/c etc that the long hard winters i hear described on these forums. Humidity is the one thing i can't stand.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

But i would much rather deal with a couple months of high heat with a/c etc that the long hard winters i hear described on these forums. Humidity is the one thing i can't stand.

Preach it, brother!

Paul

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I remember being amazed that there were new buildings going up in Bullhead City. I couldn't imagine that people actually moved there. It and Green River, Utah are on the top of my list of places to never live.

Green River at least has Rays Tavern, their steaks are great....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think any place in UT is on my list of places to never live.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I think any place in UT is on my list of places to never live.

Why?

I'm not challenging you, just curious.

I lived in Colorado for about 25 years. Clearly, it's no longer the place I loved and called home. Utah is still new to me, so time will tell. As already noted, I love the desert climate in the SW.

Paul

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
a long time ago in another life, i worked heavy construction in the phx area. That came to mind a crew working on my house recently with some heavy concrete work. Nothing has changed, like me a long time ago, they often started at 4am in the hot months, done by noon. You adapt.
I guess there is a reason why they call people desert rats.

Yep, a couple really hot months, a couple hot months and 7 great months. I've worked concrete here for 37 years, besides just being raised in it.

Funny that the 122 deg record day in Phx I had to work till 3:00 pm on a school job and the 126 day in Bullhead we had to work till about the same. Most summer days we are done by noon but concrete controls you, not you it, you're not done till it is.

Folks who come out from cooler states during the heat feel it much worse. It takes awhile for the body to acclimate, in heat the body produces more blood vessels and another pint to dissipate internal heat better. That also makes me colder when I go to cold country.

It's best to start here in the cooler months and as it heats up your body adapts. Few can come here in the summer and just start working outdoors.

There's a culture on the river that many like, mostly outdoor activities. The caravans of Californians and Arizonians heading to the river and dunes with toy haulers, quads, buggies, jetskis and speed boats is amazing most weekends.

The desert is a great place... but reminds me of the song...

some girls don't like guys like me... but some girls do...

Kent

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just about an hour ago I spoke with a neighbor who has his house up for sale, moving back to Washington state. Can't stand the heat here, and apparently is OK with humidity.

Go figure. Different strokes and all that.

Paul

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Luckily, in the case of heat, my job will be indoors. I really appreciate everyone's correspondence. My wife and I have made plans to go visit Lake Havasu towards the end of the week.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Geeeeezzzz, you Arizona desert dudes are on here talking about 126 degree summer temps and quitting outdoor work by noon and hating the northern-type winters. I'm struggling a bit to process all of this.

Here's my place 2 hours drive east of BHC/LHC/Kingman in January 2010. 54" in 5 days.........no kidding. I've had enough.......I'm moving to Fargo......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sgt217
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I remember being amazed that there were new buildings going up in Bullhead City. I couldn't imagine that people actually moved there. It and Green River, Utah are on the top of my list of places to never live.

Green River at least has Rays Tavern, their steaks are great....

Burger and cold beer, after a river trip (Deso-Gray) hard to beat Rays Tavern!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.