-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For boat & vehicle travel, stainless is a no brainer: bombproof tough, relatively low cost, relatively easy to clean. Go with Ti if you are going to carry it with human power, and buy it instead of stainless if you find it on sale. FWIW I wouldn't even consider aluminum.

Went to stainless steel in 70's, to Ti in early 90's and strongly dislike aluminum. Don't like the taste of it that sometimes transfers to food either! For roughly cleaned outdoor use, hard finish coatings on aluminum won't last long.

added: merely adding one codger's agreement to the consensus.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/28/14.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jcolby
Ti, now I didn't even think about that. That's probably the cream of the crop. I wonder if there are any negatives to Ti camp cookware?

Price is a bit disconcerting... But the stuff weighs practically nothing
I use a Ti MSR pot and a stainless fry pan my whole kit alcohol stove/ homemade wood stove/ pot/cup/frypan/spork/2 lighters/ windscreen weighs on my digital scale 21oz. If I ditch the SS fry pan I can be just under a pound and That is with no fuel. I want to find the powdered alcohol!

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Titanium is fine for boiling water, but I wouldn't try to cook real food in it. It's very thin and doesn't distribute heat very well, stuff burns very easily in it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Travis--that is the best way of cooking fish I have ever seen!

Jared
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It may not look like much, but it taste damn good that night. grin

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't doubt that at all. Throw some wild asparagus, morels and maybe a strip of some venison backstraps on there and that would be hard to beat anywhere!

Jared
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For backpacking If I am just boiling water, I use titanium. If I actually want to cook, I use hard coat anodized aluminum and for frying prefer a light weight carbon steel pan that is well seasoned.

Hard anodized aluminum is amazingly durable. I use metal spatula for scraping the pan clean. I have a couple GSI hard anodized pans that one or the other gets used at home nearly every day and has been that way for 7-8 years.

Coatings like Teflon or non stick silicon coatings, come off pretty easily in my experience.

I don't care much for stainless steel for cooking and if I had pack stock, I'd carry cast iron.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They must be making that anodized coating stronger. I believe you, Ed, and I admit that I haven't used aluminum in so long that my data is dated. 'Course I often use sand to scrub camping pots. True enough that IME stainless and Ti both tend to burn and stick food in hot spots.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/28/14.
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is this Scotch Brite sponge stuff that weighs almost nothing, cleans well and has been found to be slightly less abrasive on cookware than sand, pea gravel or granite blocks. wink

Not knocking Ti for the UL crowd or SS for the hale and hearty or motorized, but there must be a couple of different versions of aluminum in the conversation that are very different. From many of the comments, I'm picturing a circa 1972 K-Mart brand aluminum mess kit that must be generating the ill will. I had one of those as a kid and used it as a toy. It certainly didn't look good enough to eat out of.

Most premium kitchen cookware is aluminum for a reason. Even the high end stainless, like my wife's All Clad, is a mix on the bottom to ensure even heating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For folks interest in stainless steel pots, I can recommend the MSR Stowaway range. Not the lightest, but very good quality, with an excellent lid that locks in place for transport/storage.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCH
There is this Scotch Brite sponge stuff that weighs almost nothing, cleans well and has been found to be slightly less abrasive on cookware than sand, pea gravel or granite blocks. wink

Must be one of those new high tech items I haven't caught up with yet! laugh

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Funnily enough I prefer Titanium to Aluminium for cooking.

I find that while the Aluminium conducts heat well it does not HOLD heat well. On the other hand Titanium does not conduct heat well but does hold it well.

I use a woodstove a lot and tend to rotate pots off and on the stove. I have observed that aluminium pots once off of the stove lose their heat quickly while Titanium holds heat. I once did a one on one contest between the 2 on a 2 burner Coleman stove and the Aluminium pot boiled water far more quickly but needed to be put back on the burner frequently to maintain heat. Meanwhile while slower to boil the titanium pot could be taken off of the stove and set aside. It would hold enough heat to cook the rice , pasta etc even if set on snow or cold, cold ground.

Anyway, if your concern is not just about fast boil time then Titanium is a good option.

Patrick

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,286 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.