Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The full-size Sawyer doesn't require a syringe, and is only slightly larger and heavier than the mini...

Both my full size Sawyer and my Mini came with a syringe for back flushing.

Ed T

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Used mine for the first time on a couple of backpacking trips, totaling four nights and 6 days, from which I just returned.

The first trip was through Picketwire Canyon from Withers trailhead to Rourke Ranch and back again, camping two nights on state land above the rim. The water was really murky. The filter plugged after 4 quarts. Back flushing worked fine but I would have been SOL without the syringe.

The second trip was up Grape Creek from the bridge at the Temple Canyon road to Deweese Reservoir. Everything worked fine. Not a single glitch. The water was really clean though running high as one might expect for this time of year. I didn't back flush the filter until I was doing maintenance when I got home. I was surprised how much gunk came out of the first back flush.

I use the 64 ounce bag and have bought the extra parts so I can use it as a gravity filter also. I filter the first quart by squeezing the bag, then I hang it up and let it filter another couple of quarts while making dinner with the first quart.

I carried the 32 ounce bag and never used it. I didn't use it to squeeze water directly into my mouth either. I probably should have. That would have meant that I didn't have to carry a quart of water in my pack.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
KC, what extra parts did you get so that you can use it as a gravity filter?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
KC, what extra parts did you get so that you can use it as a gravity filter?

Smoke:

I got one of these adapters and three feet of surgical tubing. It's easy.

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-inline-hydration-pack-adapters/

I also used a one-hole paper punch to put a couple of holes in the margin at the end of the bag so I could hang the bag with a piece of chord.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gracias.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Camelback tubing weighs about half as much as vinyl from a hardware store, if that matters to you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, it does. And I've got a good supply.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All I have is a Sawyer Mini. With it I can leave the "Cleaning Plunger" syringe behind for short trips, and if a problem develops I can blow it clean with water squeezed from a plastic sandwich bag. Also I can blow out the water to help prevent freezing by blowing air thru it with the bag empty. So I carry it in a thick-plastic sandwich sized bag.

Sam
and "Appy Trails, to you..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The full-size Sawyer doesn't require a syringe, and is only slightly larger and heavier than the mini...

Both my full size Sawyer and my Mini came with a syringe for back flushing.

Interesting, my full size filter did not. It did come with back flushing instructions, however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the version I have:

http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-3-way-water-filter/

The syringe must be new. Mine didn't come with one (purchased about a year ago), and had back flush instructions using the faucet adapter. IME, you don't need to back flush in the field, unless you were filtering a lot of filthy muck. Filtering regular mountain or forest creek water, it'll go a long time before needing to be back flushed.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use a automobile fuel line filter as a pre-filter. It's about 1" x1/2" and has a sintered plastic disk in it. Negligible weight and high flow rate, plumbed inline after the bag and before the Sawyer in a gravity flow system.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Platypus bags fit the threads on the full size Sawyer as well as many plastic drink bottles(most 2 liters will, but need a vent hole to work) and with a couple of extra parts they will also backfill Camelbaks with the Hydrolink adapter. Also possible to get a slightly smaller syringe from livestock stores, not much weight difference just smaller size.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I need one of these as I really don't like pumping water through my MSR...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
I think I need one of these as I really don't like pumping water through my MSR...

It is indeed on improvement on pumping. Fill the bag, screw the filter on, flip it over so the filter is down and watch. It's one of those "how did we ever get by without this" kind of moments. wink

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.