N
Anyone here fish it or in the surrounding area much? NYS

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 06/10/06.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One of my favorite rivers. Have yet to fish it, but will change that someday. My great grandmother, grandmother, and father are all buried within a 1/4 mile of that river in Narrowsburg, NY.

What section are you fishing or plan on fishing?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Steelhead,
I just am starting to learn the river as I just got back into fishing last year. I fish the section where the Laxawaxen River and Delaware join for Smallmouth and shad, the Smallmouth on flies,the shad with a jig. I fished the West branch by Hales Eddy , for trout but so far no luck. Big water and I see others getting into them so it is just a matter of time. I have had luck on the Laxawaxen. Pretty river, you would think you are in a Norman Rockwell painting. More then a few people I know who fish feel The Delaware is as good as the Bighorn which made me buy my weekend place there. If you ever want to come back to see your roots Pm me and we will do some fishing. The area has really built up but it is pretty! Narrowsburg is a really cute town now. NYS

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 06/11/06.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little further downstream from you is the Mongaup River. When they are running water out of Rio you can hook into some bruiser size browns. My biggest so far was a 6+ pound brown that I snapped some photo's of and returned her to the water. The "Gaup", as it is called by the folks locally, is tough to flyfish due to water flow and growth on the banks. It can be done if you know the proper access points. The "Gorge" section of the Neversink has some nice browns and brookies if you can get into it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have fished the W. Branch, E. Branch and Beaverkill. Enjoyed them all. Never had much success on the Delaware. I always seemed to catch it when conditions were off. I was fortunate to have been given a tour of the hotspots by some locals. I haven't been down in several years. My fishing pard. moved on and it makes for a long day for me to drive down by myself, fish enough to make it worthwhile and then drive home again.

Work had me in NJ for a couple of years. During that time I used to fish the Lackawaxen. I was just teaching myself to flyfish at the time and doing much slapping around and fishing where there were no fish. One evening I did find myself in the proximity of some risers. I was casting away to no effect and felt something brush my feet. I looked down and there was a parade of eels headed upstream along the bottom. It kind of creeped me out and I didn't think it would help the trout fishing any.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks guys for the advice. I almost bought a house off of the Monguap, but the deal fell through. Pretty river. And I loved Roscoe but the lady thought it was too far in the Sticks! NYS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,958 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.