Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The fix for a 760/7600 trigger is the Timney trigger kit for the 870 Rem. pump. The trigger groups are the same and you can do it yourself. I have done that exact same upgrade to 2 870's and a 760.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Things that you are more likely to be made fun of for:

Loud mouthed braggart
Out of shape
Can't handle your rifle without all kinds of gymnastics, loading, chambering, etc.
Inability to follow your guides instructions
Fumbling with gadgets when you should be shooting
Can't shoot with whatever you show up with

If you can hit a paper plate from field positions out to 250-300 yards in a decent time who cares what kind of rifle it is.

The clients that make me roll my eyes are the ones that show up with a long range rig, tell me how well it shoots, tell me all about their long range exploits and then miss average shots. I think my long range equipped clients have been 100% bad shots.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ralphie

If you can hit a paper plate from field positions out to 250-300 yards in a decent time who cares what kind of rifle it is.

Didn't know you were an outfitter/guide.

The paper plate target struck my fancy nearly 20 years ago. I use it for handguns, traditional muzzle loader, and my center fire rifles. If I can hit it consistently, I'm confident to whatever range I've practiced. With handguns, that's generally 50 yards, with average rifles, 300, or a bit more. With my .30-30, 200 will do. With my wonderful .25-06, I'm happy at 400 yds. Most shots though have been 300 yds or less.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a long time the ultimate elk rifle was a Winchester Mdl 71 348 Win. Herds of elk fell to that rifle, and I still consider it a great choice for elk.

That Remington pump in 35 Whelen is its equal, easily. I think a fast handling rifle like yours in a hard hitting round that reaches to 350 yards has many advantages as an elk rifle.

500 yard on out sniping might be somes' hot button, but for realistic hunting your just fine with that Whelen. I've often considered one for the hunting around Libby MT. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it shoots well and you wanna upgrade something, maybe you could use a new scope or something. I have seen a bunch of the 7600's shoot just as great as any bolt gun. I love the Whelen a bunch as well and think it is probably one of my best elk rifles.

Good luck, your in for a great hunt if you can keep up with your guide! Post ton's of pictures too! Great to hear of another Whelen shooter.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SLD

My experience has been more 'curiosity' on the part of other hunters or guides. Except for one guide that decided I should use his rifle. I declined so he insisted I shoot my 'pump' on his range 'just to make sure the scope didn't get bumped' which I was happy to do anyway.

He put a little black dot on a piece of cardboard and when I shot he laughed and said "You missed the whole damn cardboard"! So we walked down to the target...all he said was, "Let's go hunt'n" grin It was just an example of a guy putting down a rifle/caliber with which he had no personal experience. BTW...he now owns one!

Go bag a big one--with your Whelen!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just make sure it's not a 7mm-08 and nobody will make fun of you. smile

God Bless America!
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
This post got me thinking how I looked showing up for my first
Elk hunt, I was 15 it was 1994 we went to Idaho, Paradise I believe. I remember everyone showing off there Weatherby Elk
cannons, I never pulled my 1930 something Winchester out till
after we rode the 26 miles up too the camp, as I remember the only elk killed was with it after a man wounded one in the leg
with a Very expensive and much nicer rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?

It's not a .270 so you are OK. wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never hunted elk. However, I would not hesitate to take my Remington M760 in 30-06 stuffed with Partitions elk hunting at all. Can't imagine a 35 Whelen being a handicap.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like an elk slayer to me. bring it! just don't have a cheap tasco or bushnell on it.
If they laugh you should ask if they even know what an 35 whelen is?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This my Remington pump in 35 Whelan. Somebody spent way too much customizing the wood on it and putting new sights on it before I bought it for a not bad price.

I bought it thinking I'd use it for bear but would not hesitate to bring it for elk in the thick stuff.

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ROMAC
This my Remington pump in 35 Whelan. Somebody spent way too much customizing the wood on it and putting new sights on it before I bought it for a not bad price.

I bought it thinking I'd use it for bear but would not hesitate to bring it for elk in the thick stuff.

[Linked Image]

Very nice! That is some great wood on that rifle!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Friend of mine wants me to go on a guided elk hunt in Wyoming. I do not own a bolt rifle in an elk capable round. I do however have a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. Am I gonna look out of place out west with a pump gun?

Nope. There is usually one in our elk camp either a 30-06 or 270Win.. A recently purchased 35 Whelen in a tang Ruger is delivering fantastic 5 shot groups with 200 gr. Hornady InterLocks. This is what I plan on bringing in 72 days.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I couldn't tell you how many deer and elk my dad has killed with his old 270 pump with regular old Remington 130 gr Core-Lokts.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I was surprised at the number of pumps I saw when I hunted elk in eastern Oregon.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by laker
I don't think elk laugh. They chuckle but not laugh

I've had them laugh at me. Sounded like a bark, but I know it was laughter.

Basstards didn't make a vocal sound. Just mooned me.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they give you too much ribbing you could always "borrow" their rifle bolts one night and then see who's got the better rifle.

The original international turd
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A couple of years ago, I brought a 358 Win Ruger bolt (a little brother to your 35 Whelen) on a backpack elk hunt and was politely asked by a hunting buddy why I brought it rather than my 300 Win Mag that I had used in the past. The reason I shared was that the 35 cal is a fine, hard-hitting caliber that is accurate and easy to shoot. Regardless of whether a rifle is a bolt action, pump, or even a single shot if you shoot it well, use it. You can give them a ribbing when you pack your elk into camp.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by roundoak
Only if you have "see-thru" scope mounts. grin

Where I grew up they were called under /over mounts!!!!!! laugh

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 264mag, 160user, 2500HD, 66 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.