[video:youtube]_VrFV5r8cs0[/video]

GB1

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I was looking for info on the Blackout. A first time elk hunter enomoured with the tactical world needs a little guidance. Sorry. The posts claiming I dislike ARs for hunting ticked me off. mtmuley

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
To be honest, I don't really care that it ticked you off. The statement you made came off as ignorant and holier than thou. Now, whether or not thats the way it was meant, I have no clue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mtmuley
how about I tell him about cartridges I know about that folks have killed elk with for years.

Going with what you KNOW would be a great place to start.

Instead, it seems you'd already decided his choice is inadequate. You just wanted some guys on the internet to back up what you were thinking. The same internet that has him so impressed with the cartridge.

As I stated, offer to help him. You both might learn something including its capabilities (& limitations) for ethical performance on game.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Didn't want any back up at all. Yeah, I did learn a couple things here. mtmuley

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Kind of like using handguns, archery, etc.

Understand the capabilities/limitations of the tool, and work within them.

Pretty much my take on the matter. No way a .44 Mag from a handgun equals .308W as a general purpose elk cartridge, but the .44 will work fine within its limits.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Q: Would ya shoot an elk with a .300 Blackout?
A: Only if he's already dead?

Ain't the Innernet a hoot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not on purpose.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no please dont the elk can be killed with a 22 but just a stunt in my book. the 300 was never designed for this. i load thousands of rounds for 300 a week both sub-sonic and lighter bul. please use it for what it was built for. just my opp.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
having seen 2 whitetail bucks and 6 hogs shot with the 300 blkout, i would say its not the ideal hunting round, there are many choices that out preform the 300 blkout.rio7

IC B3

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
liliysdad and thinman think the Blackpout is a great elk round. Bet neither one of them has ever even seen an elk. mtmuley

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
False on both counts but if it helps you somehow. Just more incorrect assumptions.

Let's now turn a thread about your ignorance and incompetence into anything else. Sheesh!

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As little as your opinion matters, the opposite is actually true. I think the Whisper/Blackout is a very poor choice for Elk...but the argument was made that the AR15 platform itself was a poor choice. This, in my opinion, is quite false, and where my disagreement rests.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by domit
no please dont the elk can be killed with a 22 but just a stunt in my book. the 300 was never designed for this. i load thousands of rounds for 300 a week both sub-sonic and lighter bul. please use it for what it was built for. just my opp.

Do you consider handgun or bow hunting of elk to be a 'stunt' as well?

The .300BLK is as capable as my .44 Magnum revolver and carbine at ranges at which I would use either of them and somewhat better at longer ranges. I think for most the .300 BLK is a better choice than a bow at bow ranges. (I don't bow hunt but have buddies that do or have. I know of one who has skewered at least two deer but never recovered one.)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/01/14.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no i really dont think it is a stunt on both counts but we were talking hunting rifles. i wont get into a popo match with anybody i was giving my .02 worth of thought on the matter of the orginal post question. i respect everybodies right to thought and ideas. .. i have killed elk with handgun and rifle by the way and know my limit, too old to be running over mt. and valleys. god bless you all and have fun on the hunt. D O M I T !

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
liliysdad, Thanks for your honest opinion on the Blackout. That is the info I was seeking. I did not state the AR platform was inadequate, and if my posts were interpreted as such I apologize. You may not think my opinion matters, but the kid I work with does. I also apologize in thinking you and thinman had never hunted and killed elk. Another assumption. I cannot however, encourage him to hunt elk with the Blackout. Just the elk hunter of 40 years coming out in me. Thanks guys. mtmuley

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For the record, as I have been questioned, I have not killed an elk. I do not, for a second, purport to be an expert on anything of the sort, but I do know enough to know that the Blackout would be a poor choice for such an act.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
A 30-30 would be much better!

for Varmints, hogs, and small body Whitetails like we have here in TX.

Would I hunt Elk with It ??? Oh Hell NO!

I'd prefer my Hawken .54 cal Muzzle Loader with a Round Ball over the 300 ACC

But, I hunt Elk with my 300 RUM, so it's not a concern for me.

My thoughts also

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got 100 pieces of .300 AAC Blackout brass and dies to start using my 16" Encore barrel. I doubt I'll ever shoot an elk with it but maybe a deer. I didn't think I'd ever shoot deer with a .223 or 6X47 Rem, but my Daughter changed the way I think about what cartridges work and what doesn't.

Using a .300 AAC in situations that you'd be comfortable using a Bow, ML, or Handgun on should allow for a successful hunt. I don't see how putting a .308 caliber bullet in the proper place wouldn't bring down an elk. However, I wouldn't expect it to dump one where it stands.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If i was going to use my 300 AAC for Elk i would hunt them just like i was using one of my Pistols or Bows. The Blackout is very close to the 30-30, but with less bullet weight . Would i hunt Elk with the Blackout, yes if i didn't have anything else and depending on where i was hunting them. The Blackout in my opinion is the ultimate urban Combat round in the AR Platform and for hunting, Whitetail deer size game is where you should stop. Elk aren't bullet proof tho and any decent bullet in the lungs and they die quick regardless of the rifle or cartridge the bullet came from. If using the 300 AAC, hunt in close or pistol range and shoot straight . I consider the 300 AAC a pistol round in the AR Platform .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.