Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was under the impression the Remington Model 11 was a carbon clone of the Browning Auto 5. Thus the majority of parts will interchange or are they 2 different animals ??????

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The M11 was built by Rem here in America whereas the Browning built at FN in Belgium until Browning had them done in Japan. No they are not an exact clone. No magazine cutoff switch on the M11 and too place a shell in the M11's mag ,you need to depress the bolt release button on the receiver. The Browning you just stuff the mag. I have both and really like them. If your thinking of buying parts for one to use on the other, better think again some might interchange with no problem but not all. MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As stated the Remington lacks the magazine cut off switch and also the "speed feed" feature of the Auto Five. From memory I believe that early versions of the Remington had a safety inside the trigger guard (the Garand had a similar safety location later), I don't think the Auto Five ever had anything other than the standard cross bolt safety behind the trigger. Cosmetically the scroll work and embellishment on the receiver was different also. Again from memory but I believe early versions of the Remington had blank receivers with no scroll work but later versions might have a game scene on the receiver.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Will the barrels interchange?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Remington also made a "Sportsman" version that was three shot only and the front of the forearm tapered to a smaller threaded cap. I like them the best.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Mixed parts can somettimes be fitted. My grandfathers A-5 had a Remington trigger/safety on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
As stated the Remington lacks the magazine cut off switch and also the "speed feed" feature of the Auto Five. From memory I believe that early versions of the Remington had a safety inside the trigger guard (the Garand had a similar safety location later), I don't think the Auto Five ever had anything other than the standard cross bolt safety behind the trigger. Cosmetically the scroll work and embellishment on the receiver was different also. Again from memory but I believe early versions of the Remington had blank receivers with no scroll work but later versions might have a game scene on the receiver.

Some A-5's had the Garand-style safety in the front of the trigger guard. A friend of mine had one that his grandfather gave him. He loved the gun but hated that safety. I didn't care for it much either. We had it dated and it was from the early 30's if memory serves me right.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think that was called a "suicide safety".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by MOGC

Some A-5's had the Garand-style safety in the front of the trigger guard. A friend of mine had one that his grandfather gave him. He loved the gun but hated that safety. I didn't care for it much either. We had it dated and it was from the early 30's if memory serves me right.

Only the very early A-5s had the front safety.
They changed it to the rear location later & never made anymore with the front safety.
It's an easy way to glance at an A-5 and tell if it's a really old one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IIRC, the change in the Auto-5 from the front of the trigger guard mounted safety to the cross bolt safety took place sometime in 1951. The early style safeties in the Auto-5's I have handled moved very easily, not like the postive movement of a Garand safety.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Odessa that's right, the very frt of the suicide safety had a little button to depress to slide the safety back on. I have one of those early ones with 30" full choked solid rib, it had been sent back to Browning for a complete finish restoration and is a beauty. MM

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Will the barrels interchange?
No. There are a couple parts that are interchangeable, but the barrel is not one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
The M11 was built by Rem here in America whereas the Browning built at FN in Belgium until Browning had them done in Japan.

Didn't Remington actually make some A5s for Browning during one of the World Wars? Not saying that affects the original question but it could have some bearing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is an American Browning and a Belgian Browning Auto-5 (both in 16 gauge) shown for comparison. The American Browning was made by Remington, for Browning to sell after the Germans overran Belgium early in WW-II. The American Browning has the cut-off lever, other than that it is more like the Remington than like the Belgian Browning. I sold the American (mfg in 1941) some time ago, but still own and hunt with the Belgian (mfg in 1951).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a picture of an early 1951 Sweet Sixteen with the first style safety. The American Browning's had a rear trigger guard safety long before the Belgian Browning's had them.

[Linked Image]

Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rufus G and Odessa your right of course and it's been so long since I saw a American made A-5 your reminding me tweeked my memory. Great photos and good looking A-5's. MM

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had an A5 with a suicide safety that was build right after wwii

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
suicide safety
this is the suicide safety the first 10,000 or so had these 1901-1905 then they moved it to the front safety and finally the cross bolt safety

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Savage Model 745, a lightweight clone of the Browning. I think the cutout in the barrel extension into which the bolt locks may be different between the clones and real Brownings. I think it has a slightly different shape but can be modified to work. I had to fit a barrel from a Savage Model 720 to my shotgun and it took a bit of very light file work to make the barrel and bolt locking lug mate up. I think Mr. Corson at Corson Barrels told me that when he sold me the Model 720 barrel.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,868
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.