-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rocky, with regards to your ability to put a pressure trace to your reloads, what type of pressures are you finding with the Blue dot loads in general? I'm using them sparsely in the 223 and 22-250 and have been for a couple of years now. I'm keenly curious as to the pressures you may have tracked, from a safety stand point. Are they high? Low? Are they consistent in your loading and testing? I've talked briefly with an Alliant tech about them and while he has read of loaders using them, he cautioned against using them (I'm sure we all know why). I, too , am looking for a quieter load for practice purposes nearby to where I live, rather than an hour drive to the club. I'd appreciate any comments or data you may have. Thanks. Ken

GB1

G
Greg_H Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I think Rockie explained the small game loads pretty well in a apast conversation. They are not low pressure but produce lower volumes of gas than some of the other powders. As mentioned earlier many badmouth their use , but some powders are safe for use in this manner.
Greg H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken, I haven't bonded a gauge to a .22-cal barrel yet. It'll probably be the Fireball when I do, because the chamber area is more accessible than the ones on my Rem 788 .223s.

I'll get that done shortly because I'm as curious as you about the pressure curves.

Greg is right. These are NOT necessarily low pressure loads. They likely produce nearly full normal pressure - but peak pressure isn't everything. It's actually the total amount of pressure versus time that counts. It's called "area under the pressure curve" and here's what it means:

A powder charge that peaks high but quickly and then falls off almost as quickly will have a pressure curve kind of like an inverted "V". That may produce high pressure, but there's no continuing push for the length of the barrel and less energy is actually delivered to the bullet.

A powder charge that rises slowly and then falls slowly (think of an inverted "U" will deliver more total energy for a longer time EVEN IF THE PEAK PRESSURE IS LESS and will produce higher bullet speeds.

The BlueDot small game loads we're discussing are more like the former with quick up and quick down times. BTW, because there is much less residual pressure left at bullet exit, these loads ARE quieter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the reply, Rocky. I have read Calhouns page, your page, the previous posting on this issue,Seafire's postings over on AR, so I understand the curve, etc. From my own loadings I know that they are quieter, and it takes a LOT more rounds to warm up either barrel I've tried them in. If you do get a gauge on there, and you find that the peak of the curve is above SAAMI limits for that split second, will it change your opinion of the safety of the loads in general? Can that pressure spike continue to be maintained safely, even if it is very short in duration? My own feeling is that the peak will be within the limits established for whatever cartridge we might use it in, pertinent to this discussion. I have absolutley no technical data to back up this feeling, other than the results from the rounds I have put downrange. I know Seafire over on AR has shot a ton of Blue Dot loads in calibers up to 30-06 with nary a problem. I've not tried them yet. I'd be eager to see the results of your testing. I hope you'll post them if you get around to doing them. Ken

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.