Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have tried to learn to shoot the 300 Win Mag, and never have learned to tolerate it. But I have a T3 in 300 WSM and it doesn't seem so bad.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
300 magnums that weigh under 8.5 pounds ,suck. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I should mention that Mountain Tactical has 3 or 4 after market wood and laminate stocks in the $300 - $350 range. They appear to have a quality recoil pad on them.
As I alluded to above, a Limbsaver ($38) pad is the quick fix to a robust cartridge.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a limb savor on my TikkaT3 lite 300 WSM and the recoil is very tolerable to me. Frankly, I put limbsavors on most of my rifles because they really do work.

Last edited by AggieDog; 06/03/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I want a rifle that I will carry a lot and shoot a little but I shoot all my rifles enough that I feel comfortable with them.

Not sure this is the best philosophy, especially going with a lighter rifle unless you plan to keep distances short. Might be better to shoot a light rifle MORE to maintain proficiency.

Do you plan to shoot from prone?

I had three Tikklers in 300 mag and the recoil from prone is more than I wanted and I wouldn't call myself recoil shy.

Jason

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a .243 T3 Lite through a special deal at cost, and loved it so much that I got another one in .300 Win. It is not very pleasant to shoot from the bench, so I put on one of the pre-fit Limbsaver pads. It made a pleasant difference, especially when in field shooting positions. At the bench, I still put a PAST shoulder pad on. AS someone else mentioned - the Tikka in .300 mag does jump. I also replaced the factory rings on the .300 with Talleys - the factory ones have worked fine on the .243 but came loose on the .300. The screws that come with them are soft, too.

I've shot my biggest mule deer (about 180") with the .300 and never noticed the kick.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had three T3 rifles in 300 mag... 300 WSM T3 Lite, 300 Win T3 Lite, and 300 Win T3 SuperLight. Never had a problem shooting from a bench using a limbsaver. Prone is a different ballgame though.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry folks, I mistook the Limbsaver for the Graco BreakO Mercury type recoil reducers that install inside a buttstock. Makes it a bit more difficult to install in a synthetic stock rather than wood, but if it can be done they do work. Add a shock absorbing recoil pad and muzzle break and even the most horrendous recoiling monster becomes tamed. Well maybe not the .577 Tyrannosaurus - but you get the idea.

When my friend and I would shoot our big bores off the bench back in the day, rifles with muzzle energies running 4,500 to 7,500 ft lbs it was always exciting to have the entire shooting bench slide backwards under the recoil. I soon learned to never lean forward into the rifle, but remain upright or slightly to the rear before positioning the stock against my shoulder. That way recoil didn't work against me in straightening me up, it just shoved me, my stool and the bench back.

Only impacts I had that were worse were a headlong flight off a motorcycle that broke my shoulder, wrist and shoved a finger up into the palm of my hand, and a two-year old colt that decided to take me through barred barn doors while I hung on his neck with the halter half buckled (I held on and we made firewood that day. The colt was my best friend afterward.). Then there was the head-on wreck that destroyed my county pickup - oh and the train wreck in Indiana that buried me under a Saddlebred horse. If you can avoid stuff like that, do so.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 06/04/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Boy do I identify with the phrase..."TERMITES of TIME" .

A 73 year old buddy who has lived a long and interesting life with lots of trigger time, on top of everything else ...recently had to have a rotator cuff repair surgery.

A supposedly simple 45 minute proceedure took 4-5 hours...ther doc's said they couldn't find anything to anchor the tendons to that would hold. Still can't hold in place much less shoot a shoulder mounted weapon almost a year later. Told him I'd do him a favor ...and that he needed to sell me his fancy duck guns & boats at 25cents on the dollar, and get a couple TC pistols to hunt deer with LOLOL ...he DIDN'T think that was too very funny, but sez he's till strong enough to whoop my butt anytime I want to try him LOLOL His grumpiness is legendary...and this won't help much either.
Ron

Ron, I really appreciate stories such as that. In my first job I worked with a farm manager who had been a horse breaker for the U.S. Army Remount Service, a competitive show jumper on the Army team, and later a stunt man in Hollywood standing in for such notables as Ronald Reagan. He served in WWII in Europe. He walked a bit funny, his knees were shambles and he was as grumpy and gruff as as bear with hemorrhoids. Last I heard he was still alive at age 93. Kids like me are honored to learn a craft from men like that, when they all cross over we will loose a wonderful source of wisdom and history.

As for me, I have enough suture lines to mimic a confused road map, but wouldn't trade the adventures they resulted from for anything.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WITUfan
How about the aftermarket recoil pads, how much difference do they make?
They make a lot of difference because the Tikka factory pad is very hard!

The LimbSaver pad tames quick kickers better than any brand I know. I have a Tikka in 300 WSM with a Limbsaver pad, and I can shoot 40 rounds in a tee shirt from the bench without getting my shoulder very sore.

I wouldn't want a Tikka in a 300 Win mag., to me they just cross the line of my tolerance.

The downside to the Limbsaver is they get sticky if you get copper solvent on them, so be careful when cleaning your rifle to not touch the pads.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Everybody handles recoil different. I use my Tikka T3 lite .338 Winchester mag for almost all my hunting. With a limbsaver pad I have no problems and I really like the weight of the rifle for hunting.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My wife has a T3 Lite in 270 WSM. I handle recoil fine and I will be the first to tell you that the factory pad on a bench is NOT PLEASENT. It won't "kill you" but it really takes all the fun out of shooting. We slapped a limbsaver on there and now it's a fantastic rifle that will have a place in my safe as long as I'm still breathing. The factory pad is basically a plastic honeycomb with a 1/8" thick piece of rubber stretched over it, in other words it' simply looks like a recoil pad but really doesn't do much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Critternator - from all these posts I can only assume that the Tikka, Savage and Ruger (All Weather section) engineers went to the same school of stock design. Perhaps a crash course in human ergonomics would help. Same with recoil pads...they've read all the same cost accounting memo's i.e. use only the least expensive material as they're HARD pads. One would think they'd read the Pachmyer or Limbsaver proposals and not the one from the Stone Masons (LOL). RAR rifle pads are quite a bit better. Homesteader

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.