Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Someone started a thread about a "gun" that shoots table salt... good on house flies out to about 4 feet IIRC... I expect I'll have one someday and be working on getting it set up with Crimson Trace laser grips grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Still, you'd think 38.5 gr of H380 and a Sierra bullet would shoot bug holes.

There's a reason it's not called H385.

I read that once...

yep

And 37 gr of Varget, under a 50 gr Ballistic Tip, is another good one. Near max, so work up. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you using wind flags????
If not, you're wasting your time and getting false results.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I still think I can shoot pretty good as the .385" group I got about three weeks back with the same type of rifle, Savage Predator Hunter Max-1 in .243 caliber. Maybe it was just an off day but I had great expectations from this rifle and thought it would do as good or better than the .243 Savage. Both have the same AccuTrigger and in fact, they both look like twins. I can only tell them apart by the different scopes.

I always clean the barrel prior to shooting,TopCat. I'd never leave oil in the barrel or chamber. So, that's not a factor. Nope, I don't aim to quit, just got a little frustrated today and thought I'd vent a little. There are more bullets, Sierra, Hornady, Berger and Nosler yet to try and half a dozen different powders.

The only wind flags we have are long 2" wide ribbons someone tied to the bottom of the target frames and I watch those. However, I don't think that's all it's cracked up to be. I've gotten better groups not even paying attention to the wind or it's direction. That's for someone with a 6PPC that's looking for .100" groups.

Last edited by Kitch; 06/10/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Bench and paper is about as miserable/boring pursuit that I know of, sans visiting in-laws...

But then some of us prefer to shoot groups, and hate inlaws so much we never had any to bitch about.....

But if it's becoming frustrating to shoot groups, shoot stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a fact that few people recognize but not all loads are accurate from day to day. In fact, I've seen a good shooting load go sour in 30 minutes between relays.

Allan Hall once told me that you can miss a shot into a group just as you can throw a shot out of a group. Shooting itty-bitty groups is an exercise in frustration.

Read the post above about using wind flags. I've been preaching that for years but few people really believe it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I always bring a "constant" with me to the range. Easy to decipher if it is you or the gun. If my Tikka isn't shooting, I know it is me.

That being said, I HATE load development. I only do it as a necessary evil to find a load that is suitable for long range plinking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go back to an old proven gun and load. This will get you back on track I bet.

Best of luck and good shooting!

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Perhaps there is something to wind flags as the bench rest shooters utilize them. I never could get into that, though. I had enough to concentrate on, keeping the scope level, not canted, breathing right, squeezing the trigger, etc.

I don't think any of us can consistently shoot 3/4" or less every time we go to the range, one group after another. Take that back. I do have a pre-64 Model 70 270 that will consistently do that IF I do my part. Case in point. These groups were shot the same day, same rifle, but 30 minutes between each three shot group. Moreover, it was done with an old Lyamn 4X Perma Center scope!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

May God see to it that you always have problems such as these.
+1

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bench and paper is about as miserable/boring pursuit that I know of, sans visiting in-laws...

But then some of us prefer to shoot groups, and hate inlaws so much we never had any to bitch about.....

Sometimes I shoot groups on paper & sometimes I shoot stuff , just depends on what I feel like doing.

I never shot any inlaws cause they were deceased before I ever met 'em.
Hope I don't ever have to shoot any outlaws but if it's needed I will.

Once upon a time I killed the neighbors pitbull cause he needed it.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Kitch
Perhaps there is something to wind flags as the bench rest shooters utilize them. I never could get into that, though. I had enough to concentrate on, keeping the scope level, not canted, breathing right, squeezing the trigger, etc.

I don't think any of us can consistently shoot 3/4" or less every time we go to the range, one group after another. Take that back. I do have a pre-64 Model 70 270 that will consistently do that IF I do my part. Case in point. These groups were shot the same day, same rifle, but 30 minutes between each three shot group. Moreover, it was done with an old Lyamn 4X Perma Center scope!

A canting problem can be helped by choosing a target that automatically gets you to correct cant as you aim, and by using a level when hanging said target.

I can do 5/8 MOA pretty regular for five shots at 300 yards with a 6x scope on a 308, but the type of rifle I'm using helps. I don't expect that of myself with lighter sporters.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Browning BPCR in 45-70 that has a bubble level on the front sight...great for intended purposes.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hasn't anyone said the worst day at the range beats the hell out of any day at work.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
May God see to it that you always have problems such as these.

I wish that was my only problem. I had to get out today and shoot as it's been three weeks and I was going stir crazy. Good or bad groups, it was good to get out and go to the range. My leg has kept me from going and I chanced it anyway. The doc would have had a fit had he known I went. Long story. I didn't know if I could get to the 100 yard target frame and back for sure but I made it with pain.

Last edited by Kitch; 06/10/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And get closer....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
somehow i am sensing a bench rest state of mind. It is connected often times to engineer types.
I have bad legs too, good to hook a grandkid into running the targets for you.
I also like shooting on the desert and have been thinking of taking my quad along, which is the motorized wheel chair for ol guys to help run the targets.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I could give a flying hoot about groups. Bench and paper is about as miserable/boring pursuit that I know of, sans visiting in-laws...

Hell of a lot of competitive shooters will argue with ya. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just because it's all new does not guarantee an accurate rifle. I bought one of the first Leupold 3.5x10 50mm scopes ever to hit Greenville and it delivered poor accuracy. To double check I mounted an old Tasco World Class 6x on the rifle and the groups immediately shrank to about 3/4". Before I couldn't get 1.5 inch groups with the Leupold.

Factory rifle? No factory turns out all accurate rifles.

I did the same thing with a new Burris Signature 8-32X. I replaced it with a Tasco World Class 6-24X. The next five shot group measured .312".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dig out a brick of .22LsR and go to an indoor range with targets that come back to you. Work on fundamentals for an hour or so, go home. Come back and do it again. Then do it again until you see the right results on a repeat basis. It will all come back to you.

1B

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.