Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Lots of progress made! Injection molding machine is finished, mold received on Saturday, and I spent all weekend experimenting with different plastics, colors, temperatures, etc. Smashed my finger along the way, really a dumb move. I managed to make 2 good parts, a few marginal ones, and a bunch of bad ones! I learned that clear polycarbonate material is a no-go, really brittle and not suited well to my setup. Part shattered in the mold and it took me almost two hours to get the pieces out. I found a couple of materials that worked well, made one of each. I will send the parts out tomorrow to shortactionsmoker for testing. If all goes well there it will be time to ramp up production! I contacted Paypal last week and received clearance that this part does NOT violate their acceptable use policy so that makes things easier.

Here are a few pictures:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
BP-B6

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Very cool

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cotis -

I assume you looked into Ruger patents regarding the part before spending time and money on this project?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That's great!

Cost?

Dink

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those things are uber.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have a RAR (Yet!), which one is your part and what is this going to remedy?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Current RAR 223 mags have a molded in block that keeps one from loading 75's and other 'sleek' pills.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
cotis -

I assume you looked into Ruger patents regarding the part before spending time and money on this project?

Yes, there are no intellectual property issues with this item. Same reason it is not patentable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Impressive! Now if you just make some 75 amax bullets.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just picked up my new Ruger American Predator yesterday! Really looking forward to the new magazine mod.

Will you need to modify existing magazines, or will you be selling them whole?

IC B3

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am not selling whole magazines. I will do the installation of the new rear portion if you send me the magazine(s).

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Will you sell just the parts, so that someone can do the modification themselves? Will there be any other payment available other than paypal, such as check, or Postal MO, or credit card?

Do you have a price yet?

C
cotis Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
My main plan is to sell just the part. I figured I would offer the installation service for anyone who didn't want to mess with it themselves. I hope to accept payments from almost any source, just please don't send me rolls of pennies! The Paypal and credit card processing may have a small fee added to cover some of my expense of that. Not positive as I haven't figured all that out yet.

I will produce a "how-to" instruction sheet with photos detailing the swap.

My price will be $25 for one, $45 for two, and $60 for 3. Want to buy a bunch, contact me and we'll talk! Shipping is included in the price.

I follow the golden rule - treat others as you want to be treated - so if there is a problem I will make it right. You wouldn't believe the amount of time and money I have spent on this in the last several months. My main goal here is simply to make my money back on this project! I could have bought a nice Cooper or Blaser rifle with what I have tied up in this, several if you put a dollar value on my time. Why I am doing all of this, that's a darn good question (I ask myself that sometimes, esp. after I smashed my finger working on it this weekend). I am one of those types that loves to tinker and solve problems, and this looked like a fun one to solve. Want to hear something funny? I don't even own one of these Ruger American rifles in .223 yet! Combine that with an entrepreneurial spirit and you find someone who is rarely bored. I have already ordered some bluetooth hardware for my next project, wireless control of a Pro Chrono chronograph using your cell phone!

I am still determining how long it takes me to make one. My manufacturing is a very manual operation and I still have to do some post-injection processing on the part. The three locking tabs need to be glued into the main body. Also, one of the holes for the mating tab is proving to be VERY difficult. you can actually see this in the 1st picture of this thread, it's the part in the upper left corner of the picture. There is a very thin-wall condition going on where the plastic does not want to flow. It is even a problem on the factory part from Ruger, the two I have from them both show problems in this area. I guarantee you they are using a bigger injection press than I am! I have removed the tab from my mold so it actually gets injected as a positive, then I cut the positive off and manually machine in the negative slot. Delicate work as the walls that are left are less than 1 mm thick.

Thanks for the interest and support! Chaz

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you for your entrepreneurial spirit! I'll take 2 when they are available grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am in!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I will take one !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
2 for me !

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put me down for one as well, thanks

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work, cotis. Am awaiting their release.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't own one either but I am in for two. Let me know when to send the money.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 06/18/14.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.