Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slm9s
LOL, just like its funny you left this part out:
Originally Posted by thebigcheese109
but I'm not sure if I just want a plane old .243.

Sure the 243 will do all the OP is asking, LOTS of cartridges would be able to be used. MY OPINION is the 6br will be better for

-targets out to 800 yards
-shooting in local groundhog shoots/matches
-possibly hunting groundhogs or deer but pretty unlikely

because of better accuracy, less barrel heat during long strings of shots, less recoil for spotting your own shots, less powder consumption, and longer barrel life.

I left that out because he stated "not sure". But you still didn't tell me all what the OP will gain with the 6br and at what expense.

Like everything in life there is a plus and a minus but I think the .243 will fill his needs well. But yes like Scenar said there are a lot of options with the right bullet.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The interchange between you and I started off being about your statement that the .243 couldn't win competitions. It had nothing to do with the 6BR being better or worse for the OP's purposes than the .243.

This is where we went different directions. My statement ONLY PERTAINED to the OP's purposes, as that's what this thread is about. When I said it couldn't win competitions, of course I was only talking about the type of matches THE OP PUT FORTH in the thread - target shooting to 800 and local groundhog matches (from a bench). MY OPINION is that the 6br is a better mousetrap for that application than the 243 and I've laid out several reasons why. I understand that there are tradeoffs, and OF COURSE the shooter makes a difference.

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

But you still didn't tell me all what the OP will gain with the 6br and at what expense.

Again, "because of better accuracy, less barrel heat during long strings of shots, less recoil for spotting your own shots, less powder consumption, and longer barrel life."

The expense would be lower muzzle velocity, dies are a little more expensive, and less options for brass/ammo.

I love the 243 and 243ai and own a couple. IME for LR target shooting and bench shooting out to 800, the BR case (and now the Dasher/etc also) are more accurate and I think equipment lists and results from matches would bear this out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Fair enough answer.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slm9s
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

But you still didn't tell me all what the OP will gain with the 6br and at what expense.

Again, "because of better accuracy, less barrel heat during long strings of shots, less recoil for spotting your own shots, less powder consumption, and longer barrel life."

All those things make the 6BR an awesome target round.
But I feel the best fit for a 6BR is in a single shot target rifle.

A 6XC cartridge was designed for competition in magazine fed rifles.
And it's in the sweet spot between the 243 and 6BR. It just eliminates the small negatives from these others and makes good sense for high volume target shooting

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
First off I'd like to apologize if I offended aalf or anyone else for not responding. Since my initial post there's been some major changes in my life and I don't currently have the money or the time to build this rifle like I'd hoped to.

But if anyone one was wondering which one I actually would pick, even after reading all the responses, I still don't know. If I get the chance to build the rifle it will probably come down to what I can get the best deal on.

Thanks for all the input.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one were to build a 243 win, why not go AI? I have a 243 and if I ever rebarrel it will be a 243ai. Compared to a vanilla 243 the AI version gives up nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6BR - built more than any other chambering.

Last shot 1/4" time and again at 200 yds for 3-shots, with 66 and 105s. Another, a Ruger #1, shot UNDER 1/2" at 330 yds...

Now re: 243s - never had a bad one, bore life - yes about half a BR.

6mm Rem - had a Ruger 77V, tang, had been chopped to 21" - shot 97gr VLD Hammet bullets into ONE HOLE, 5 once fired Fed cases, BR primers, H450 powder, no longer mfg. Gun had NOTHING done to bedding, trigger turned down, that was it.

Deer on menu? Shot them at LRF 400 yds with a BR - piled up in 20 yds double lunged with a golf ball sized exit using Amax.

Pick your poison. Bbl life matters and the BEST accuracy, BR.

A match precision, easy to load accurate case for a no fuss repeater?

6 XC
6 Rem

In that order. A Creedmoor would fit the bill.

Few flies on a 243, save bbl life and brass stretch....

One thing is certain, 6s ROCK, and an 8 twist is a given.

I'd focus on 107s and under. 115s work for some - not so well for others, Throat accordingly.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Real interesting reading. I'm new to the 243/6mm so I am learning alot from you guys. Thank you.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 6mmBR, 243, and 6mmRem reamers and some hardware from the other 6mm cartridges.

There is a trade off. The 6mmBR brass is great. The barrel burning is slow.

But if you are not shooting thousands of shots and you want to reach out there, you want the bigger cartridge.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.