-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok this has been eating at me for a while. So I took the family to the big island of Hawaii and booked a pig hunt with an outfitter with a good rep. Hunt went great had two chances at pigs and my stepson took a good eater boar.

Well the kill happened the night before we left so we didn't have time to freeze the meat and take it with us. So we went home with the agreement that the guide would ship the meat back when frozen.

So this guide kept giving me excuses why he couldn't get the meat shipped. HawaII UPS could only ship two day on Saturday while he was working his day job, Family problems etc. I gave him a "Hawaii time" pass with the outfitters rep and put it on the back burner.

Anyway it took 9 months of bullschitt, even sent the guide a pre-paid UPS shipping label. I called the the outfitter f'n pissed off to get the meat back. The meat was smoked and salted to the point of un-edible. It is going to be coyote bait now. Kid just wanted to eat his kill and this freakin Hawaiian "guide" ruined that.

The outfitter was very apologetic and assured I would get my meat in a timely fashion after I called pissed off. He offered me a personally guided hunt for axis deer (on my dime). Yay. I just wanted to eat the pig we hunted and killed.

After watching a jim Schockey hunt on the outdoor channel tonight with this outfitter, it reminded me of this. I will not be back to the Big Island of Hawaii to hunt anything with this outfit.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What was the name of the outfit?

Rolly
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just curious what the shipping charges (expedited obviously) for frozen meat would be from Hawaii to the mainland. Every time I've checked on costs even within the CONUS, it just didn't seem worthwhile. I either take a cooler and check the frozen meat as luggage (I get free checked luggage) or don't count on keeping the meat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, I would donate the meat on a hunt like that as shipping frozen meat in a manner in which it would not spoil had to be expensive and time consuming. That being said, if he said he'd to it he should have done it

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No doubt. I just wouldn't want to pay for it.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Shipping that meat from Hawaii would cost a bundle. I'd have donated it to the locals and killed some hogs when I got back home. No hog meat is worth all that.

IMHO,

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some of you guys are missing the point. He wanted the meat and was paying shipping, they agreed to ship it then lied to him about it. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Who was the outfitter?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, the point was he wanted to pay.

I take moose back with me from Alaska when lucky. Its not cheap, but its the point its something I harvested so we freeze some and take it with.

He didn't have the chance, though I wonder that a good cooler and an attempt at freezing should have gotten him home safely easily, with a backstrap and part of a hind or such... I know I'd ahve done it rather than take a chance.

Shipping the whole thing would have been expensive, but it was his call really.

There is something about utilizing what you take, at least for me, to some extent. And yep I've left as much game parts in AK as I"ve taken with ...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A little liquid nitrogen does a wonderful job flash-freezing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I have decided to leave the outfitters name out of this. Mainly because I don't believe it is the outfitters fault, it's the guides. I think there is a deep rooted hatred of tourists that the natives have for what ever reason.

The outfitter was very professional dealing with me and got the guide to ship the meat after I called him. Once I got the meat and it was un-edible I didn't take it any further. I suppose I could have called him back and let him know but I didn't. I just got tired of dealing with it. I just won't be back, they lost me as a future client. They have a good reputation too but your guides rep is your rep.

Just goes to show, even with a lot of research things can still go wrong even with an outfitter with a great reputation.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by smokepole
Just curious what the shipping charges (expedited obviously) for frozen meat would be from Hawaii to the mainland. Every time I've checked on costs even within the CONUS, it just didn't seem worthwhile. I either take a cooler and check the frozen meat as luggage (I get free checked luggage) or don't count on keeping the meat.

It was about $300.00 if I remember right. We planned on taking the meat frozen back with us but couldn't. That is a discounted price too because I used my business UPS account. Without an account I'd bet it would have beed well over $400 to $450.

Last edited by Bigcat_hunter; 06/18/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you are doing a dis-service to the outfitter not letting him know your feelings of how good he was and how bad his guide was....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did the guide smoke the meat, or was it taken to a commercial butcher shop?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Did the guide smoke the meat, or was it taken to a commercial butcher shop?

The guide said he "processed" the meat. It was salted to the point of inedible.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. Tough deal on that, if you were willing to pay that price for shipping he never should have done anything to the meat except freeze it and ship it. At least without asking. That's like him throwing your money away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
you are doing a dis-service to the outfitter not letting him know your feelings of how good he was and how bad his guide was....

I'm with this guy. I'd have to let the guide, and his boss, know he licks donkey balls. I wouldn't care about redress, but I ain't one to keep quite.

Hope the kid had fun. Betting he did.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I were flying all the way to Hawaii to shoot pigs, the last thing I would worry about was the meat. I would simply let them have it, then hit the grocery store when I got home.

You're talking about a dirty old pig, not an elk or bison.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If I were flying all the way to Hawaii to shoot pigs, the last thing I would worry about was the meat. I would simply let them have it, then hit the grocery store when I got home.

You're talking about a dirty old pig, not an elk or bison.

What does what you would do, have to do with the point of this post? He went, his KID shot the hog and the KID wanted to eat it. Dad wanted it shipped home and this Ahole screwed him over.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.