Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Quiet Man, Red River and the John Ford Cavalry Trilogy shot in Monument Valley are favorites. The Searchers and the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Red River in the top because of John Wayne playing out of his normal character in them.

A couple more of my favorites are The Shepard of The Hills, and The Three Godfathers both early day movies of his.

There are very few John Wayne movies that I do not enjoy.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I loved all of them. Not real sure about him as Ghengis Khan though!

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a big fan, I like almost all of his stuff. Favorites are Stagecoach, Red River, and The Searchers. When I was 12(1954)my father and I were in small restaurant for lunch in the Owens Valley, which was in those days where many western movies were made, and in walks John Wayne! I blurted out, "Dad that's John Wayne." He heard me and came to our to table and greeted us. I completely lost me ability to talk. All I could do was say, "Is it really you?"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This is gold.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like most, but these two tie for tops:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd have to go with the Shootist as my favorite... but it could be because I have that one on DVD and it gets watched quit a bit and never grow tired of it...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Can you really only have "one" favorite of all his movies ? I have been watching Cahill: United States Marshall, previous to that on another channel The Sons Of Katie Elder was on, watched that one too, enjoy them both, I enjoy them all, not a one more than the other. He was amazing, and some of his costars were excellent actors and actresses.

Do you have an absolute favorite of his movies ?

Yes, I do. Stagecoach is my all time favorite.

I liked all his movies but Stagecoach has held up over time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'd have to go with the Shootist as my favorite... but it could be because I have that one on DVD and it gets watched quit a bit and never grow tired of it...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Cowboys, McClintock, Rooster Cogburn, Rio Bravo, The Sons of Katy Elder.

Can't get through The Cowboys without allergy problems most times.

Sean
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Without a doubt, "Red River" was Wayne's best movie and his acting performance. He should have won Best Actor for his performance as Tom Dunson. I'd go with "The Quiet Man" as his second best. Then maybe "Rio Bravo" although Dean Martin was the better actor.

Most of Wayne's movies were not that good. He rescued most of the bad ones by being John Wayne and not necessarily with his acting skills.

Elvis made some 33 films. Every single one made money. As far as I know, he remains the only actor who has never lost money on a film. Elvis was a much better actor than he was credited. His best acting performance was "King Creole". Producers knew that they could throw together junk, have Elvis star in it, and it'd make money.

Elvis knew he was typecast in stupid movies that required no acting skills, which was his primary motivation for giving up his acting career. During a concert, he once told the audience that they had no clue of his songs, that all he had to do was sing and move his hips and they audience went ecstatic. Elvis became prisoner of his fame. He was immensely gifted and even more so a performer, but Colonel Parker was more concerned with making money than perfecting Elvis's talent; hence, he churned out many records that were beneath his ability. While he did sing gospel because he was devoutly religious, he was, at his essence, rock & roll & R&B. When Elvis did rock, there was no one better.

John Wayne suffered the same fate. Most of his films had no substance and required superficial acting skills. However, Elvis was a far better rock singer than Wayne was an actor.

It terms of acting skills, Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood were better than John Wayne. But John Wayne was John Wayne, and people paid to see John Wayne.

The Aloha from Hawai'i concert, as far as I know, is still the most popular concert of all time. One in four people on Earth saw it Live via satellite. Compare that with modern technology and still no other performer could come close to getting 25% of the world's population as audience.

Watch Elvis live when he was rock & roll:

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Hondo" was also a good Wayne film.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Crap, I must be gettin' old. I can't remember "Hondo"!?
Best go have a beer and put some Duke flicks on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Searchers, The Shootist and True Grit I really enjoy but I have a large collection of his movies and can just pop anyone in the player and watch it. Never can go wrong with a John Wayne movie.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like this one

[Linked Image]

And this one quite a bit too.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rifletom
The Shootist, Man who shot Liberty Valance. Anyone remember "Island in the sky"? Not a western, but, pretty good. I can't choose just one. Miss Lynn, have you ever watched "Donovan's Reef"? Awesome and funny.

I have Donovan's Reef and I think Island in the Sky too.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Island in the sky" is one JW movie you just don't see or hear much about. But, it is a good one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are building a new museum in the town he was born in. It's under construction now but this is what it will look like when it's done. kwg

http://johnwaynebirthplace.museum/museum.html

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like his westerns...but The Fighting Seabees was watched as required training when I was with NMCB133 a long time ago.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I still enjoy watching The Shootist, The Cowboys, and True Grit.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Most of his movies are worth watching. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 57 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.