Print Thread
Hop To
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am thinking of buying the new Ruger American rim fire bolt action rifle in .17 HMR, and I know it is new, but how is it working if anyone has one? If so is it worth my time? I could see about another CZ in the same caliber, but I had one years ago and might like a change. My local dealers show the .22 online, but we know how ammo is right now and the .17 was such an accurate and flat shooting cartridge out to 100 yards in my 2 previous rifles.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah it's worth it. nice rifle. i find that i use my .243 more so i sold the ruger to a friend.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a Ruger American in 22lr. Maybe I got a lemon, but it was pretty piss poor rifle in my opinion. Creepy trigger, flimsy fore end, and fed poorly, had to rack the bolt with enthusiasm to get it to feed, and unfired extracted rounds had alot of lead shaved off the nose and sides, took it back to LGS the next day.

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I have one in 17 HMR. It shoots tiny groups at 100 yards with the Bushnell Trophy 4-12 I have mounted on it. The trigger is also very nice. I really like this rifle.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HE112: I don't own one of these but I am hosting some Varminters from the east coast this week.
They have two of these 17 HMR Ruger Americans and they have worked rather well in the field Hunting Ground Squirrels the past two days (raining here today!).
Both are the sporter weight models with 3x9 Leupold scopes on them.
I have shot both.
They have good triggers and the rotary magazine is tops!
I was impressed with them - but I would not buy or own a Varminter for Colony Varminting use that did not have a "heavy" barrel.
My 3 friends sent out a total of 4 "CASES" of 17 MMR ammo in the past month and they hope to shoot it all before they leave.
They have 17 HMR's in CZ, Volquartsen and Ruger 77 as well as the two new Ruger Americans.
The Ruger American is cheaper than the other models they had along but functioned reliably and did not seem to loose accuracy even after several hundred rounds through them.
If I decide to buy one I would prefer a heavier barrel - I do not know if one is offered but would prefer that.
I was in Helena, Montana last week and one of the gunshops there was having a "Grand Re-opening" of their gun department and had the Ruger Americans on sale for $239.00 (IIRC) I did not see any heavy barrels there nor did I notice if that price included the 17 HMR Americans.
I can get the phone number if you need it.
Best of luck if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Were any of the Rugers the Compact model? The Compacts look like they might have a heavier barrel than the regular model. What ranges were you shooting? Thanks

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MissouriEd - took delivery of a.17HMR RAR rimfire COMPACT the other day. Now waiting on UPS to deliver a standard LOP butt-stock and #12 Weaver bases. Have a older Weaver 2-10X scope I'll be mounting on it. Seem to re-call a "Mule Deer" article about the .17HMR being zeroed at 100 yards to maximize its potential. Have not done any trigger adjustment yet.
Homesteader

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks much. I'm interested in a RAR 17HMR. Would like to hear about the compact model. Hope you might post a review when you get some range time. Thanks again.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MissouriEd - as you know the compact RAR .17HMR barrel is 18 inches long while standard is 22 inches. In pix's on Ruger's web-site the compact "appears" thicker but that may just be an optical illusion. In any case I'll let you know how things work out when longer LOP stock comes in next week. Past experience with 10/22 "youth" (16 inch barrel) model, re-mounted into full size stock, shows how handy these little guys can be.
Homesteader

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pard's RAR Compact Hummer,alongside my 77/22 Hummer.

[Linked Image]

With DIP extended 1913 rail(flat) and a 3-9x Reupie wearing a 125yd zero(no more than 3/4" POA/POI discrepency from 25yds to 125yds and [bleep] a 100yd zero on the chambering),it has 42.5 MOA remaining in the erector. It reaches purty good and shoots rather well.

Issued trigger was fair to middlin',but re-springing it really helped.

[Linked Image]

3/16" diameter coil,.016" wire thickness and 1" long,cut to dupe OEM length(untrimmed version pictured). OEM spring being uppermost,if only obviously.

They are a SLEEPER and I'd soooooo 6x MQ Fixed [bleep] one and clean house on the sly.

Noone would see it coming.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Noone would see it coming.

Sinister.

D
D
Boxer,
What is the part number on that spring I may order one.
Thanks again.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SuperKchunt,

I enjoy your Imagination and Pretend,almost as much as you do...though for very different reasons(obviously). Congratulations?!? Laffin'!

I know,I know,you [bleep] near went Outdoors once already,this year. Laffin'!

Allow me to fuel your Imagination,if only to bolster your Pretend. Now as 17 Hummers go,my [bleep] POS CZ 452 American dumped into a laminate,with the PMTJ,DIP 25MOA 1913 extended rail and 6x MQ Fixed [bleep]...is indeed SINISTER. the reticle alone grants 425yds+,with multiple flavors of fodder and the erector conjoined,will make the 825yd line with "lowly" 17gr V-Max.

'Course you'll haveta Google the works,as per always and still be in over your pointy head.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

As an aside,when you shoot your Imagination,typically how loud is it?

Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

(Addendum: was laughing so hard,I forgot more fresh SINISTER,from yesterday)

If only to yet again fuel your Imagination and frost your Pretend copiously,I should oughtta mention that the new McMillan Sillywet T-hole housing the Annie 54,is indeed SINISTER too.

[Linked Image]

Be sure and load them pics in your 'bucket account,so you have more Outdoors pics.

Laffin'!

You'll wanna Google them particulars too.

Re-laffin'...you poor poor stupid Day Dreaming Do Nothing Kchunt.

dillon,

Pic has the spring's packaging,I denoted it's particulars and the parcel was sourced locally.

I'd not be above stoking it with a ballpoint pen's spring,if only in the interest of R&D.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure all your "stuff pics" are a big deal in OompaLoompa land .... You wish I cared.

PM sent.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SuperKchunt,

I very much enjoy how you "don't care" so vehemently,that being a Whining Lap Dog fully consumes you. Though in fairness,you did ALMOST go Outdoors once this year already. Laffin'!

Great time to yet again give your Silent Dog Whistle a 90PSI blast and summons the other two-thirds of The Vagina Triangle,so as to regale in stereo,all the things you've almost done,the wares you almost did 'em with and the places you've almost did 'em. Your Do Nothing Dumbfhukkery,is never not splendid in it's oblivious hilarity and your "hard charging" ways an absolute [bleep] riot! Congratulations?!?

You'll haveta pardon my not being compelled to apologize for being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess,while a guess,lobbed cartoons,plagiarized pics and yet another treatise on how you "don't care",are the best you can "do". Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "contribute" too. Laffin'!

Reality ain't for everyone,as you oh sooooooo eloquently attest.

Here,lemme fuel your Imagination for you,if only to bolster your Pretend...so you can tell folks you "know" what the Outdoors looks like,as of last night. Perhaps it'll enable you to "not care" even more,as you set upon your Couchbound Kchunt and perfect yet another Vagina Monologue. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

The Dude passing a 6-1/2 footer inside 100yds,MPAJ...waiting on sumptin' BEEG. You'll certainly wanna put it in your 'bucket account too,just like ALL the others you "don't care" about. Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

(Addendum: For SuperKchunt,because I enjoy a GOOD Whine)

Hot offa the press,in this horrid weather. Yerked the 6x MOA/Mil off this morning and went 12x MilQuad Fixed [bleep],if only to reap the subtension inherent the reticle. SINISTER++.

Google it all,as per always.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Be sure and borrow a camera,for that one day this year,when you actually go Outdoors.

Wow +P+!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh my .... Yet another bear pic. Wait till the Oompas see this. tired

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MissouriEd - sighted in the RAR Compact .17HMR yesterday (6/20).

It likes the 17 gr variety the best - 5 @ .75" at 100 yards. Comments: 1) have to work the bolt like you mean it. 2) OEM mag that came w. rifle fed just fine BUT 1 of the 2 extra mags's had several FTF incidents. Have to wonder if Ruger 'tunes' the OEM mags when they test fire them before shipment.

The longer (13.75)LOP stock places your eye 'right there' for scope use w/excellent cheek weld. BTW- had no issues with trigger creep or over-travel. It broke at 3.5# as issued per my Lyman trigger pull gauge. Homesteader

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.