Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just build me an 8x57...that's all I ask.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
BP-B6

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, preferably. But if manufacturing is too heavily committed to the wing safety at least make the lever big enough to use. Another suggestion, reduce the travel from mid-position to fire. Ruger rings use too much steel, but Leupold solved that problem.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Throw the dogleg bolt handle in the trash.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of irony in this thread, considering the very first post linked a questionnaire that ultimately developed the Ruger American Rifle. I vividly remember the questions....they asked to rate the qualities of a rifle from 1 to 10 in levels of preference. I too thought they may be redesigning the Hawkeye, but the RAR soon followed.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I want better ring options and a better wing safety. I've been impressed with the accuracy of the two I own. The CRF, rugged trigger, and no detatchable mag are nice as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260madman
Lighter rings! please!

They already make them....Leupold that is!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Depending on the particular set those Ruger rings will weigh 4 ounces each - that's half a pound added to the weight of the rifle in scope rings alone.
Jesus H. Christ. The standard ring set currently supplied with Model 77 Hawkeyes is the 5BHM/4BHM combination. They weigh in at 1194 grains and 1058 grains, respectively or 2.73 ounces and 2.42 ounces each for a weight of 5.15 ounces FOR THE PAIR.

A set of low Leupold STD rings -- which are the equivalent of a 4BHM/3BHM combination -- weighs 1119 grains or 2.56 ounces. A two-piece Leupold STD base set for a Remington 700 weighs 1016 grains or 2.32 ounces. (The rear base alone weighs in at 666.2 grains.) That makes the low set with bases weigh in for a grand total of 4.88 ounces. A whopping 118 grains lighter than the medium height Ruger rings.

Four ounces per Ruger ring my ass.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One piece bottom metal.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm quite satisfied the way they are.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Blue the bolt handle and a tang safety

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a first time 77 Hawkeye owner, I do find the angled action screw, along with the recommended 90"-#, setting a bit intimidating whenever I decide to remove and reassemble the wood stock. There's no way I'm gonna reach that torque, just have to settle for 65"-#s. I'd feel more comfortable with a set-up that allows me to work at right angles when using tools to make this happen. The action is easily the roughest I own, but hopefully that will slick up with use. I don't anticipate problems still hunting with this rig.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stop making them out of cheap castings that require straightening with mallets at the factory. Put an oberndorf style bottom metal and bolt handle on them and a open style trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Question for the "tangers". How important is it that a safety physically blocks the striker and not just some part of the firing sequence?

That's one of the things I really like about the Model 70 and the Model 77 Hawkeye - the safety imposes a physical barrier which holds back the striker/firing pin from reaching the primer. Most safeties just block the trigger or sear, the trigger blockers to me are the worst since the striker is still hanging, quite literally, by the tiny sliver of contact between it and the sear.

When I first saw a Ruger 3 position safety I thought it was a pretty chintzy copy of the Model 70 but then I got to thinking about it and it is quite innovative. The safety in 3rd position rests in a notch that prevents that striker from moving, no way no how.

Of course any safety can be disabled and a steel part can break - and then there's the whole debate about cold or hot chambers and the resultant need for safeties in the first place - but given that one uses a safety, I like the current one a lot.

Next topic - I don't like forward swinging safeties in the first place, they stick out where they can bumped. The ONLY time I've ever had a safety brushed completely off safe was with a Model 70.

The original Mauser idea was best - the safety moves from right to left in a plane that your thumb will naturally sweep through as you grasp the rifle. That doesn't suit scope mounting so it has been moved to various places and/or reduced to a 2 position model, none of which is optimal.

I like a 3 position safety but in my mind it should be placed directly behind the striker so it swings from right to left horizontally and doesn't interfere with scope mounting. On full safe with striker blocked, bolt locked, the lever is at about a 4 or 5 o'clock position to the bolt - tucked in out of the way. As your thumb reaches over the comb it can naturally sweep it to the left, to about a 7 o'clock position. Straight back at 6 o'clock is second position, on safe but bolt free to open. Reverse that for left handed rifles.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Slim down the receiver.

Aluminum rings, (Ruger rings weigh 1/4lb!)

Tap the receiver so you can use other brands of rings.

Ditch the angled screw and go to a winny type lug.

In a nutshell, Rugers are too heavy, as are their components.

Do like Sactoller does and buy some older tangers, toss the stock and oem spout and build a custom...I love the older tangers but hate the weight

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It's a bit odd to me that the smallish Ruger safety is often mentioned as a "problem". I've always thought the over-size Winchester safety was more of a distraction than the Ruger style wing. I like it small and out of the way.

As far as weight.....grow some balls! 8 ounces or so might make a difference when you are bragging to your buddies, but the field it hardly matters. If 8 ounces a difference you should take up some less stressfull activity

Sorry if I seem overly harsh, but damn....get a life! The Ruger action is as close as we come to the original '98 idea (which is near
"perfect").

I too love the old tang safety...but the "modern" wing safety is pretty damn good and prefered by most.

Get over the fact that hand-fitting and machined steel is a thing of the past. The Ruger 77 best of lot...in modern times

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think too that there is too much focus on having the lightest gun. A gun with some weight to it always shot better offhand for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Round top receiver and more importantly, normal recoil lug and I would have a lot more Rugers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
1. bigger safety lever
2. normal recoil lug (i.e. 90 degrees in relation to action)
3. normal scope rings and bases that aren't commonly out of anlignment with the reciever
4. Better accuracy as the 6 or 8 I've had haven't average 2" to 4" at 100, but I know others that have had better luck)
5. leave every thing else the same

FYI, shoot them a little and the actions really smooth up for those worrying about action smoothness.

I guess I already posted on this thread, but see above from '11 (last couple have been shooters though so can no longer say I've never owned an accurate Ruger. Maybe they're improving).

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Along with everything else mentioned how about a longer mag box on the long action. 3.7"+ would be nice.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my first brand-new hunting rifle in 30 years just the other day. It was a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06. I bought the all-weather version and put a wood stock I already had.

I had 30 years to think about this purchase. Most of all, I wanted a rifle that would take whitetail deer out to 200 yards, and keep doing it until they have to dart me in my treestand and ship me off to the home.

1) 30 years ago my tongue was hanging out for a Rem 700 BDL. As time wore on I became less enthused.
2) I was ambivalent over CRF vs. Push-feed.
3) I really grew to like the 3-position safety on my Winchester M670.I like the Hawkeye's even better.
4) I liked the trigger on the Savage, but never liked the tang safety. The Hawkeye's trigger seems just fine.
5) I read a post on this forum a while back about how you could clean up marks on the stainless Hawkeye with a Scotch-brite pad. That sounded like my kinda rifle.

About my only beef with the Hawkeye is that they don't sell a stainless/wood combination. As it was, I found a nice lightly used stock on Gunbroker and had it waiting when the rifle arrived.

Here are some more thoughts on it, in case you missed it.

The shaman and the last 30-06

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
601 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.