Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I can't believe no has pointed out the biggest benefit to the 54 over the 64 , the trigger the 64 trigger can be made better than average , but the 54 trigger and be made to rivial a jewell in a 40x all the way down to the 1oz. range

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Well, the 54 action may be wasted on a sporter, looking at it like that. Also a Win 52 and a 40XB...

But people spend serious bucks on them. The Cooper is probably over engineered, but I sure like mine.

Practically speaking, just for general shooting and plinking, it would be hard to justify more than a Ruger American or the Salvage/Marlin clones. Those rifles are pretty accurate.

I don't have one, not in the market for one...

DF

I didn't say the 54 action is wasted on a sporter. I said the Fortner action may be. The 54 and the Fortner are quite different animals.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Fiddy,

You can find 54's at a reasonable price if you are patient. There was one on here recently that was bedded to a McMillan that went for $950.00. I really wanted it but one of our homosexual members got it first. Oh well.

Also, DIP is making 75MOA rails for them right now. If you are planning on getting a 54 I'd go ahead and order one now. I put one of their 25 MOA rails on my sitxty-foe and it's pretty bad ass thus far.

Travis

Don't cyber-bully me flave..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
grin

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Well, the 54 action may be wasted on a sporter, looking at it like that. Also a Win 52 and a 40XB...

But people spend serious bucks on them. The Cooper is probably over engineered, but I sure like mine.

Practically speaking, just for general shooting and plinking, it would be hard to justify more than a Ruger American or the Salvage/Marlin clones. Those rifles are pretty accurate.

DF

I didn't say the 54 action is wasted on a sporter. I said the Fortner action may be. The 54 and the Fortner are quite different animals.

OK.

Some folks don't mind paying for what they want, that's my point. So, it may or may not be a waste to have a Fortner action sporter. And, they may be a bit heavy. 54's tend to be on the heavy side.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Flave what scope you end up with on your 64, thought you were gonna throw a SS on there if I recall? I've got a DIP 25 in the mail and some rings to mount up a 16X FF SS.. Talked a bit with Boxer and seems this combo otta let me zero at fifty and get me to 300+ easily...
Anyway, tell me how your liking that setup? How far have you taken it?
Proooollly gonna snag a 75 rail as well, just on GP's...

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

OK.

Some folks don't mind paying for what they want, that's my point. So, it may or may not be a waste to have a Fortner action sporter. And, they may be a bit heavy. 54's tend to be on the heavy side.

DF

Those Fortner's are uber. After the last winter olympics I decided I needed one. Then I saw the price.

The only advantage I see in those would be due to the rate of fire in competition. I can't imagine buying one for blackbirds, and I'm rich.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Flave what scope you end up with on your 64, thought you were gonna throw a SS on there if I recall? I've got a DIP 25 in the mail and some rings to mount up a 16X FF SS.. Talked a bit with Boxer and seems this combo otta let me zero at fifty and get me to 300+ easily...
Anyway, tell me how your liking that setup? How far have you taken it?
Proooollly gonna snag a 75 rail as well, just on GP's...

Yeah. I slapped my 10X SS on there. It looks ridiculous but actually handles pretty nicely.

Mini-'flave and I took it to the 300 yesterday and had room to spare (with the 25 MOA rail). It shoots like a mother-UBER.

[Linked Image]

Travis

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

DF

OK.

DF

The extra weight of the 54's and 52's is worth it, to me, because that weight comes from beefed up internals. One reason they don't wear out like Anschutz 64's or Winchester 75's. I've got sporters on both actions (54 and 52) and like'em both.

All that gack aside, here's a pic of my 54 Sporter for the OP; with scope it weighs in at 8.5lbs. I use it in NRA Silhouette competition.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They'll sell to competition shooters, who likely outnumber hunters in ownership of Anschutz's by a healthy margin. The speed and durability of the Fortner action is wasted on a sporter, IMHO given how few rounds(relatively speaking) most hunters fire each year unless they're also shooting competitively.

The problem with a sporter Fortner for competition is that I cannot think of one sporter class discipline that the speed afforded by the Fortner design is necessary. A Fortner action sporter seems to be an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

The locktime does not appear to be any faster than the 54 action and from the appearance of the Fortner action I suspect that the action is heavier than a 54 action which would move the balance rearward which is not a good thing for offhand shooting.

In the deep dark recesses of my memory though I seem to recall that a factory Anschutz MS Standard rifle was offered with a the fortner action, of course it would be doable since the weight limit for Standard class is 10 lb 2 oz.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They're cool, different, but I don't see the need for one. Not for what I use a .22LR for, squirrel hunting, etc. Besides, they're around $3,500 or so. That would buy a high grade Cooper or even better, a std. Cooper like I already have, with some jingle still in my pocket.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
f you can find one,the ES350B mauser isnt any slouch for accuracy.mine is a 1938 and shoots like i;ve never seen.i have seen them on guns america once in a while.

Last edited by sandpit; 06/30/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sandpit
f you can find one,the ES350B mauser isnt any slouch for accuracy.mine is a 1938 and shoots like i;ve never seen.i have seen them on guns america once in a while.

The fun thing about 22's is that there are a lot of really great ones out there. Besides the Anschutz models there are old Mauser 340's & 350's, 1922 Spflds, Win 52's, Rem 37's and 40X's, along with the Coopers, Kimbers, CZ's, Ruger 77/22's.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by sandpit

The fun thing about 22's is that there are a lot of really great ones out there. Besides the Anschutz models there are old Mauser 340's & 350's, 1922 Spflds, Win 52's, Rem 37's and 40X's, along with the Coopers, Kimbers, CZ's, Ruger 77/22's.

smile

Enough to keep Loonies drooling for quite a while... cool

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got lucky on an oldr 54. It had been on the consignment rack of a local gun store for a few weeks, apparently because most local shooters thought the "California-style" stock was weird. Got it for around $700.

The great thing about it is that not only does it shoot high-grade ammo very well (of course) but it shoots cheap ammo amost as well. My wife uses it for ground squirrel shooting with Federal bulk-pack Champion hollow-points. It will normally put 5 into less than half an inch at 100, often in one ragged hole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember seeing Bob Zwirz's review on the then new "Savage Anschutz Model 54 Sporter" in one of the gun magazines way back when.

IIRC he was trying to tell folks that even though it had the Savage name on it, it was still a good rifle. Honest. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What was the Savage affiliation with Anschutz?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Savage was the U.S. importer for a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I got lucky on an oldr 54. It had been on the consignment rack of a local gun store for a few weeks, apparently because most local shooters thought the "California-style" stock was weird. Got it for around $700.

The great thing about it is that not only does it shoot high-grade ammo very well (of course) but it shoots cheap ammo amost as well. My wife uses it for ground squirrel shooting with Federal bulk-pack Champion hollow-points. It will normally put 5 into less than half an inch at 100, often in one ragged hole.

You gouger....

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Savage was the U.S. importer for a while.

Yeah. That's what mine actually is, but I refuse to admit it.

I may take a dremel to the word Savage on the receiver..

Travis

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.