Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifleman700
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Have yet to find the rifle that hasn't shot TSX's well at a light kiss to .010" off...................just sayin'.

MM

Well, since you asked, quite a few actually. I have not gone through as many custom rifles as a few folks here like Dober and a couple of others, but between my own customs and loading for family and friends (usually bone stock off the shelf rifles) I have a little experience, heavily weighted towards Barnes bullets. Not only is best accuracy often not the best with the bullets loaded close or touching, (among my small sample of a few dozen) but one often cannot get quite as much velocity with the bullet loaded that close in my experience.

I will readily admit that some rifles did shoot best that way (loaded to touch or very nearly so the rifling), but for the first time out with a new to me rifle, the deep seating with a TSX or TTSX works so well, so much of the time, that I start there and often do not have to make a change.

The next ten rifles I load for might all want a close fit, but above is my experience so far with dozens of rifles.

Just my observations and experience, FWIW, but it does seem like quite a few folks in this thread had similar observable results. So, if my formerly personal little trick helped a couple of folks out and saved them time and bullet money, or perhaps finally got them to shooting the great TSX and TTSX bullets after fighting accuracy issue's... then great.

I am not personally or emotionally vested in the issue either way.

This may have already been covered but I think it is important to understand that there is a reason that Barnes recommends seating them starting at .030"jump. These are solids and do not obdurate like lead core bullets. Solids can and do create higher pressures when jammed or close to jam. I learned this the hard way when shooting the original "X" bullets. Also, they will shoot very accurately when jumped a mile so don't be afraid to jump them. My 7stw w/ 140's jump .180" and shoot .5" all day.

I think I did cover the obturation issue early on in this thread, but whether I did or not, or someone else did or not, yours is a valuable point, well stated and expelaned, and in my opinion, spot on. Kudo's sir. Everything that helps folks shoot better, faster (thusly cheaper, too) is good info to pass along IMO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Sure am glad I found this thread, and want to say thanks Safariman, you're right on! I got a Tikka M65 30-06 last year, and one bullet I first tried in it with hopes of it being my best was the Barnes ttsx 165gr. I tried it last year with A4064, Rel17, and I believe one more powder? And I was going with the flow and seating the bullets out close to rifling, and got the same story evertime. Low velocities good groups, but speed en up they opened up, way up! I give up on and figured I wasted my money buying 2 boxes. Found this thread other day and had to try it, seated them on first groove, light crimp, 3.205" O.L.
Just tried em with 3 loads of A4064, 50, 50.5, & 51grs. All 3 shot less than 1" @ 100yds, AvgVel's= 2727fps, 2764fps, & 2768fps. And mid load was .75" and only 13fps spread.
Now I can probably load this load and really drawdown probably get 1/2" and 165g @ 2765 that accurate, is awesome load with this bullet I believe!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad you got what you were looking for Windknot...

but seeing you joined in May 2021, you never had the pleasure of meeting or knowing Safariman...

I knew him, and had been in the field with him varmint shooting...

Sadly he left in pretty bad disgrace... for a lot of reasons..

just haven't seen the statement " thanks Safariman" in quite a long time....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny to read this, and I read most.
Before Safariman got figured out, and how normal Stick was back then.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Only read a few the posts on first couple pages, decided to try it. Sure worked for me! Don't know anything about anyone referred too, or what happened.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Safariman put the dirt AND the bag into the term "Dirtbag".

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
Glad you got what you were looking for Windknot...

but seeing you joined in May 2021, you never had the pleasure of meeting or knowing Safariman...

I knew him, and had been in the field with him varmint shooting...

Sadly he left in pretty bad disgrace... for a lot of reasons..

just haven't seen the statement " thanks Safariman" in quite a long time....

If Safariman posted a thread where he wasn't lying or trying to fleece you put of your $$$ maybe a thanks would be in order.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'll put this right here. It's near the bottom of the "Load Data" page on the Barnes Bullets website.

WHERE DO I SEAT THE TSX, TIPPED TSX AND LRX BULLETS?
When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” (now the Hornady O.A.L. Gage) or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.

Last edited by GSSP; 03/18/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really need to go through this thread, I just ordered a few hundred .30 cal 110gr TAC-TX bullets to load in .30 Herrett and .30-30 Contenders.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windknot
Only read a few the posts on first couple pages, decided to try it. Sure worked for me! Don't know anything about anyone referred too, or what happened.

The basic challenge associated with anything that Mark posted on this site, in over 27K posts, is to recogzine truth from fiction. Mark was a notorious liar, so anything that he ever wrote has to be looked at with that in mind. A lot of people who believed in him and backed him up when he was initially called out probably had their faith shaken a little when his insurance fraud schemes were made public.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Insurance fraud?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jason280
Insurance fraud?

Selling products without a proper license and then keeping the payments made by the buyers or something along those lines.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Jason280
Insurance fraud?

Selling products without a proper license and then keeping the payments made by the buyers or something along those lines.

Along with selling inappropriate policies to many elderly folks to maximize his commissions rather than suiting their needs...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.