Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by 458Win

It is a poor workman, or hunter, who blames their tools.

Phil, is there's a reason why you don't hunt BB with a .270 or 7mm?

Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.
I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see everyone is still at it. We should agree that everyone should use the largest caliber they can shoot without being recoil shy. If its a .270Win. with a premium bullet, great. If its a 340 Wby. with a premium bullet, equally as great.

If 458Win says cartridge "X" is adequate, than anyone who questions that is not listening. Quite frankly this goes to bolster the standing of the 30-06 as the ultra all-around North American cartridge.

This tells me we have been sold a "bill of goods" by the ammo/rifle manufacturers that all this magnum power is needed. All this also supported by gun writers who promote more powerful cartridges too. In the end, be truthful with yourself and shoot what you can handle.

This argument parallels the "elk cartridge" debate too. Eastern hunters think they need something "bigger" than their 270's and 30-06's when they go west.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

This statement does excluded campfire members....don't it??

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thirty three pages of posts! Geez Louise... How many people any givin year hunt coastal Grizzley bears?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 200 per year are killed on Kodiak by hunters. Not sure about other areas...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm not one of them. But I'm amazed at the large number of "experts" posting here. From States where the only Grizzly Bears are in a Zoo!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I'm not one of them. But I'm amazed at the large number of "experts" posting here. From States where the only Grizzly Bears are in a Zoo!

Well as usually happens, the OP's question swerves into other areas. Plus you've got to have at least one pizzing contest going on too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Alaska lanche,

I've heard the same argument about resident elk hunters here in Montana for decades: We can get by with smaller cartridges than non-residents because we have all season to hunt, so can "pick our shots."

This is mostly BS. While a few Montana residents hunt the entire season, most have jobs, so end up hunting weekends, when most other hunters are out. Unless they're lucky enough to own some elk-suitable land, or know somebody who does, they hunt public land like everybody else.

We have a 5-week rifle season, except in certain back-country areas that pretty much require horses to access. As a result, most residents can hunt five weekends, which means 10 days--IF they don't have something else they must do for part of the weekends. Some take a few days off from work to hunt, but the majority just make do with whatever Saturdays and Sundays they can.

Since they have limited time, and usually end up hunting where most other people do, their chances at elk are often fleeting, or take place in timber where the angle isn't ideal. As a result, few resident hunters pass up half-decent shots at a legal elk.

Non-residents usually hunt for at least a week, and often for 10 days. They often hire an outfitter, who has horses for taking them deeper into public land, or leases private ranches where pickups are often used. Hunting pressure is much lighter, especially on private land, where a lot of elk move after the first few days of hunting season, due to pressure on public land.

I have hunted elk in all those ways, though most has been foot-hunting on public land. In general, the easiest shots come on private land, though the early back-country public-land hunts can also be easier, because they start during the rut.

Twice when hunting private land I've seen 30-some branch-antlered bulls on one mountainside, a week or two after the season opened, and they lingered at least an hour after legal light. You NEVER see such large numbers out in daylight on public land.

In other words, non-resident elk hunting is often far easier than resident elk hunting, with far more options for "picking shots." Yet many non-residents firmly believe they simply must bring a .300 or .338 magnum, rather than the .270's, 7mm magnums and .30-06's used by many if not most residents.

The two bulls I've killed when I've been lucky enough to hunt private land during rifle season, by the way, were standing close to broadside, in the open, at 250 and 150 yards. Both were 6x6's, taken with a .30-06 and a 7mm magnum.

It depends on the specific situation. Most people hunting brown bear aren�t hunting for meat. I know a few Alaska residents who hunt brown bear fairly casually because they can go several times a year or even several times in a month. I can go once in about every four years.

Elk hunting is an amazing feat. The big ones weigh about 3 times that of a big adult male human. A 5.56mm 55gr round going 3,000+ fps or so is about right in the sweat spot for such a human animal. For a mature elk weighing 600 lbs, a bullet going similar speed at about three times the weight (say a 7mm appx. 165gr going about the same speed�as far as rifle bullets go) seems about ideal. If you�re going after a hard-to-kill animal weighing possibly twice as much as the 600lb elk, you might want to go a little heavier, say at least 250gr or so. This doesn�t mean that other options won�t work well at times. It�s just that, as the targeted-game keeps getting bigger, you might want to consider going with a bigger bullet, if it�s not a problem (e.g., through practice). I�ve had a range partner load my .340 and .375 without telling me (intentionally) whether there is a round loaded. When there is not, I click and don�t flinch. It took some practice to get that way, but it�s not nearly as hard to do that as hiking 30 miles on an elk or sheep hunt in the mountains. It�s not that hard if you try.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

�Even you � says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.�

I actually didn�t say that. My 7mm Wby, .340 Wby, and .375 Wby all recoil about the same. My 7mm is lighter than my .340, which is lighter than my .375. They all feel about the same. It�s just that my .340 is, so far, a tack driver that I can shoot really well, even better than my smaller-caliber rifles. That being said, I get better groups out of it than I do my .243 Win, and .308s etc� When I said I would love to bring my 7mm on a BB hunt, I meant because it�s really light, not because it recoils less. But, in my case, the weight difference is not enough to make me bring a .243 or a 7mm on a brown bear hunt. I can carry the .340 Wby. The difference between that and a lighter rife is less than 1% of my weight+ the gear I carry. That < 1% is worth it to me even if it is not, or should not be, to others. Just my perspective.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Marinehawk,
Nice choice on the .340 Weatherby cartridge. I have a couple friends who swear by the .300 Weatherby but I feel the .340 is the most versatile Weatherby round.

Thanks Moose, it's only one of many good options. Hopefully, I'll do my part.

Sorry to hear about your mom and your heart. I hope you are better soon!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Thirty three pages of posts!

If you change your settings, it's not so bad. I'm only 7-pages in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am just curious.... Do wounded brown bears often charge when you come up on them or do they usually run if able? Honest question. I have been around a whole bunch of them but never seen one shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try this again in case you missed it MH:

It�s different for an AK resident, who can hunt brown bear, moose, caribou, sheep etc� several times a year to go out hunting brown bear, perhaps along with other game on the menu, with a .270, .308, 25-06, etc �, than it is for someone from Arkansas, like the OP, to scrape together scarce resources to spend a huge amount of money and time on a once-in-a-lifetime or even a somewhat rare hunt--primarily for brown bear.....

One big distinction that some don't recognize is the difference between AK residents, who can hunt BB at will, and out-of-state hunters who have to spend great resources on a possibly once or twice-in-a-lifetime hunt....

If I was hunting BB essentially in my backyard, I would be happy to hunt with a .270, .308, whatever. But not if I'm spending a ton of money and time just to get there.

MH,

You keep bringing up this point about since residents can hunt brown bear every year as an OTC tag and only have to spend $2500 on a remote fly out hunt to 17B then since we spent less money somehow that makes us feel better using a smaller round.

Furthermore you'd be inclined to do the same from what I gather in these posts I quoted from you. Care to explain what you mean, cause you make it sound as though since we are residents we are willing to use these "marginal" caliber rifles because were aren't as invested monetarily as a non-resident and some how more willing to risk wounding a animal? When in the reality we aren't the ones hunting with a guide and has a clean up crew right there with you anyways if you do muff it up. But you are saying above if the guide wasn't there to help take the animal down from a bad shot you'd you more apt to use a smaller rifle? I would think as residents without a guide we'd be more inclined to ensure the bear is hit well than one that has a guide behind them to back them up.

I fail to see this point you are trying to make by you repeating to voice this stance, so if you get time and care to explain that would be great.

Personally, I could care less what one choose to hunt brown bear with so long as they are comfortable with it and shoot it well. But you feel this need for you defend your choice of a 340 wby and no one is saying you shouldn't. If you like it and shoot it well use it again it obviously works as will many other options. Best of luck to you this fall sir.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most try to run in the opposite direction IME... but not all.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

�Even you � says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.�

I actually didn�t say that. My 7mm Wby, .340 Wby, and .375 Wby all recoil about the same. My 7mm is lighter than my .340, which is lighter than my .375. They all feel about the same. It�s just that my .340 is, so far, a tack driver that I can shoot really well, even better than my smaller-caliber rifles. That being said, I get better groups out of it than I do my .243 Win, and .308s etc� When I said I would love to bring my 7mm on a BB hunt, I meant because it�s really light, not because it recoils less. But, in my case, the weight difference is not enough to make me bring a .243 or a 7mm on a brown bear hunt. I can carry the .340 Wby. The difference between that and a lighter rife is less than 1% of my weight+ the gear I carry. That < 1% is worth it to me even if it is not, or should not be, to others. Just my perspective.

Really??? No chance of you ever being called sensitive if those three recoil the same to you. A nominal 40% decrease in recoil energy is not easily perceived by your greatness...

Just wow!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And realize I even used the ratio going down rather than up where the increase would be literally 80%...

And they feel the same to you?

You really do not have a freaking clue...
art out

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can say with experience that a well placed shot with a small to medium rock will usually get them off of your gravel bar while you are fishing if yelling at them does not work first. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Marinehawk,
Nice choice on the .340 Weatherby cartridge. I have a couple friends who swear by the .300 Weatherby but I feel the .340 is the most versatile Weatherby round.

Thanks Moose, it's only one of many good options. Hopefully, I'll do my part.

Sorry to hear about your mom and your heart. I hope you are better soon!

Thanks man. And best of luck to you on your Bear hunt this fall!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is all I ever carried in brown bear country was a 30/06 stuffed with 200gr Partitions. Of course that was prior to the internet, so I was obviously less informed...

Never felt bad about lugging a 30/06 in Kodiak or SE. I've been in on a brown bear killing on the C in ABC and he died without any fuss. Friend was using a 30/06 too.

Hard to believe I survived all those years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All I know is all I ever carried in brown bear country was a 30/06 stuffed with 200gr Partitions. Of course that was prior to the internet, so I was obviously less informed...

Never felt bad about lugging a 30/06 in Kodiak or SE. I've been in on a brown bear killing on the C in ABC and he died without any fuss. Friend was using a 30/06 too.

Hard to believe I survived all those years.

Well, obviously the bears were sorely misinformed years ago as well. Unfortunately for us now the bears are aware they can't be harmed by anything less than about a .505 Gibbs.

Page 17 of 26 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.