Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
in civil court for not protecting you in the event of assault?

Why not?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All the signs around here are worded so that the responsibility is on the one reading the sign. Something to the effect that it is illegal to carry except where permitted by law. Just a fear mongering attempt IMHO since it is legal to carry in those places but most will only see the illegal part. Really pisses me off!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good question.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Arizona and Arkansas put language to this effect in their original CCW bills, but neither made the final cut.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No. They have no affirmative duty to protect you. However, what if the store has a policy against lawful concealed carry on premises? Is it not foreseeable that a deranged person would choose the defenseless victim zone they have created (by their policy) as a logical place to wreak his havoc?

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jordan,

Is there any case law that found the owners of the establishment liable?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
From what I was told during my permit class, the Walmart's here in TN used to post their premises forbidding carry in their stores. One night, a female permit holder, left her pistol in her car, and went shopping inside. On her way back to her car, she was assaulted and kidnapped. The kidnapper raped her, and then killed her. Her husband sued Walmart for not providing security since they disarmed her in the 1st place. Walmart settled out of court for an indeterminate dollar amount (although estimated at several million). The next day, all of the posted signs disappeared from every Walmart store in the state, and have never returned.....

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1B
I've often wondered the same thing..

I wish a couple lawyers would chime in with opinions - but I also assume it varies from state to state.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone can file suit for almost anything...I'd say you'd have to prove the attack occurred because it was a gun free zone. I'd say there's an outside chance you'd win....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
All the signs around here are worded so that the responsibility is on the one reading the sign. Something to the effect that it is illegal to carry except where permitted by law. Just a fear mongering attempt IMHO since it is legal to carry in those places but most will only see the illegal part. Really pisses me off!!!

if there is the possibility of making money, or damaging America, there will be an attorney ready to take up the challenge.

Sam......

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There was a discussion about something like that on a local talk show radio, KLJB.
If I remember correctly, there was talk that insurance company's where taking note from the liability stance.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think a logical argument could be made by a good attorney, that by "advertising" your store as a protection free zone, you are literally inviting riff-raff to target your stores and your customers. I'd bet there will be challenges to that effect, but only after innocent people are killed.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1B

Why not?

Yes, they are liable.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
There are a few, a very few, stores in my area with signs like these:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that CCW organizations would do well to mount PR campaigns that inform folks about the process. Something like -

Who's Carrying A Concealed Weapon?
Someone who�
* Has undergone a complete background check by the Sherriff's Department, encompassing local, state, and federal databases
* Has zero felony convictions
* Has zero domestic violence convictions
* Has successfully completed state-mandated CCW training
* Has successfully demonstrated state-mandated marksmanship standards
* Is at least 21 years of age
* Will undergo another background check every X years
* As a CCW permit holder, is part of a group that is statistically the most law-abiding in the nation.

I get the feeling that anti's, and the otherwise ignorant, think that CCW's are passed out at random. I doubt that having the facts would change their mind, but it would certainly deflate their arguments.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sue the store and the owner and the manager for trampling your civil rights. Imagine the uproar if the sign said 'No Chinese Allowed'? or whatever other group you'd like as an example.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can sue for anything , it will be up to a jury if you win the case or lose it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the basic argument comes from Heller, where the court confirmed the fundamental right to self defense. If an entity compromises your fundamental right to self defense, it would seem it has incurred an obligation.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The law in TN has changed a couple of times but it originally would not allow CCW holders to carry in any restaurant that served alcohol of any kind. We had to place notices on our doors stating carry was not permitted. Around seven or eight years ago the law changed. Our attorney called me and told me to take the sign down at once. He advised that if I did not allow legal carry inside my restaurant and if that person was hurt in any way by someone else with a gun, and we prohibited that injured person from protecting themselves, we could be found liable. Since I also carry, I was happy to oblige. However, I do not believe that if someone was carrying a legal weapon and did not protect others, the law would hold that person culpable. A civil law suit is another matter though. Anyone can sue for anything, but I doubt they would win.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

if there is the possibility of making money, or damaging America, there will be an attorney ready to take up the challenge.

You realize the corporations don't really care about the average people for the most part. Government doesn't effectively deal with things like faulty tires blowing out, pintos burning kids up or BP poisoning all your favorite gulf coast sea food.

What they do care about is getting smoked by a lawyer who makes them act like they live in a civilized society and reminds them that they are not feudal lords who can kill the average American citizen while they are putting their kids in English boarding schools and sending their wives on Parisian shoe shopping trips in their corporate jets.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
I think the basic argument comes from Heller, where the court confirmed the fundamental right to self defense. If an entity compromises your fundamental right to self defense, it would seem it has incurred an obligation.

Let me ask you this. If my employer has a no firearm policy, is my employer liable from the time I leave home to the time I get home?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.